The Search for the Kim Family

Started by MidwaySix, December 06, 2006, 11:35:50 PM

RiverAux

After this story their chances of being called by this Sheriff have dropped to about 0%.  Although he responded well, and probably correctly, you know he is not happy that the story is that he didn't use all available resources. 

This sort of story ranks very closely with the Pineda story for worse CAP coverage of the year.

Lancer

Quote from: RiverAux on December 31, 2006, 04:27:11 PM
After this story their chances of being called by this Sheriff have dropped to about 0%.  Although he responded well, and probably correctly, you know he is not happy that the story is that he didn't use all available resources. 

This sort of story ranks very closely with the Pineda story for worse CAP coverage of the year.

Let's not make this anymore than what it is.

Right now, as the article stated, the sheriff has agreed to meet and discuss options for future use of CAP, if Capt. Kendrick and whoever else joins him (Wing staffers) go about this meeting in a level headed and genuine manner then it should bode well for both parties.

The sheriff was right regarding Cessna's flying deep canyon searches, but as we all know, flying is not ALL we do, our membership is well qualified for ground search as well.

Regarding this article as being bad press for CAP, I don't see it that way. What I see a real concern on behalf of our members for wanting to be the valued resource we are. Simple as that. Let's not spin this into being negative for us.

RiverAux

I guarantee you that the sheriff is pizzed about this.  At a minimum it shows extremely poor judgement on the part of the local CAP in regards to what sort of statements they make.  Either they don't have anyone that knows the first thing about public affairs or the person there isn't very good at it.

I'll bet you that the Oregon Wing Commander will be on the phone with this squadron commander as soon as he sees it. 

The main question I have is whether the CAP people called the reporter and pushed this story or whether the reporter figured it out on their own and then called CAP for comment. 

QuoteWhat I see a real concern on behalf of our members for wanting to be the valued resource we are.
I fully understand that and I've felt the same way on occassion.  But it is not anything that ever should be expressed in public. 

Lancer

Quote from: RiverAux on December 31, 2006, 04:54:07 PM
But it is not anything that ever should be expressed in public. 

Please share some insight into this statement.

arajca

A couple points I see in the story:
1. A CAP pilot, appearently without a CAP duty assignement, complained about not being involved.
2. The reporter didn't properly describe CAP in the article.
3. The sheriff has not been informed about the many and varied skills and equipment CAP has at its disposal.
4. The sheriff is willing to talk to a CAP official about the situation.

The fact the sheriff is willing to meet and talk with a CAP official is a good start. CAP dropped the ball in keeping local officials informed about CAP. If the sheriff has much experience with volunteer organizations, he'll know that random members do spout off about involvement or lack thereof for their organizations. He'll also understand that the member does not represent CAP in any official capacity.

While we may feel it portrays CAP in a negative light, overall I think it will be a positive result.

isuhawkeye

This article clearly demonstrates the importance of relationships. 

Simply being an "Asset" isn't enough.  In order to develop the locally directed Title 10, and Especially Title 36 operations Cap needs to work closely with the controlling entity.  If you don't meet, train, and coordinate with the emergency responders in your area myths, and misconceptions develop.  CAP can easily be looked at as an inappropriate asset for a number of reasons, and in a time of crisis a sheriff is not going to bring in something he doesn't know of in advance.  This kind of article is a shame, and does very little to advance our operations within a jurisdiction.  I know that I have sat on the side lines for a number of major searches, and I have used those searches to facilitate discussion among the emergency responder community, but in my experience when those talks hit the media people stop talking. 

RiverAux

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on December 31, 2006, 05:57:00 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on December 31, 2006, 04:54:07 PM
But it is not anything that ever should be expressed in public. 

Please share some insight into this statement.

If someone in CAP thinks some other agency dropped the ball by not calling in CAP, you go talk to that person/agency directly about it in a constructive manner.  Getting the media involved in this sort of thing is NEVER a good idea.  Sure, it may have resulted in a meeting between the Sheriff and CAP, but the Sheriff was basically forced into doing it.  He isn't doing to tell the media that he doesn't want to meet with CAP cause that would make him look bad. 

If the squadron or Wing ES officer was on the ball they would be meeting with him and other county sheriffs on a regular basis anyway to discuss what CAP can do for them.  That is part of their job. 

isuhawkeye

http://www.ktvz.com/story.cfm?storyID=17789

The Gov. of Oregon has ordered a review of the Search and Rescue operation conducted to rescue the Kim Family.  Midway 6 has posted an article on this event in his blog

http://capblog.typepad.com/

I was interested to see the entities that Governor Kulongoski has met with the National Guard, State Troopers, and The National Guard regarding Search and Rescue at the state level.  When the investigation is complete a Task force will be compiled to ensure that SAR is managed more affectively in that state. 

It has been my experience that any large scale operation will generate lessons learned.  I hope that positive improvements come from such a tragic event.

RiverAux

I'm not at all surprised that the air operations in particular were critisized.  No county person, or probably even state police, are going to have any experience at all in the details of coordinating large numbers of air assets.  Even if CAP's planes weren't on duty a well-qualified group of CAP base staff might have been able to improve on this.  Besides the NG, who else does this? 

Now, even if thats the case, I wouldn't go saying it to a reporter.....

RiverAux

Believe it or not CAP national PA actually put a link to the story about  the CAP guy complaining about not being used up on CAP News Online.  I wonder if they've got a new guy up there or something because this is the second very questionable story that they have put up there recently that any experienced CAP PA person would have avoided or significantly modified. 

RiverAux

Holy cow.  Somebody high in national PA must read this blog because the story is already down.....  Second time a complaint here generated fairly fast action in removing a CAP News Online Story.

Now to quote from the pilot episode of friends...."And I just want a million dollars..."

JohnKachenmeister

Midway 6 posted a sattelite photo of the area.  It doesn't look that tough to fly over.  Elevation something over 2000 feet.  There's NO reason why CAP pilots could not have flown a search at 1500 AGL with helicopters doing close-in work.  All that was needed was some pilot-to-pilot coordination, or maybe a centralized air command staff element.

Tactful or not, the CAP pilot was right.  We might have made a life-or-death difference.
Another former CAP officer