cyberpatriot III

Started by spacecommand, August 15, 2010, 05:06:12 AM

spacecommand

Any squadrons here training for CyberPatriot III?

A.Member

Our squadron will compete again this year (just missed the making the final round last year).   It's an awesome and worthwhile competition - one of the most truly practical activities in which cadets can participate.  I'd like to see National get on board with this a heck of a lot more than they did last year.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

spacecommand

What "module" are you guys training on right now?
We're getting on board a bit lit late in the game but I hope to get a team together ASAP.

Also do you feel that the preparation modules that the cadets have to train with closely resembles the actual competition?  I'm not a real technical person though @_@ so that's what I'm worried about. 

Paul Creed III

My home squadron (GLR-OH-051) has assembled our first-ever team this year. We are working on module 3 right now which is where the real "meat" of the training materials really kick in. So far, the cadets are enjoying themselves and have told me several times that they are learning a great deal.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

spacecommand

Apparently with Module 4 & 5 there are licensing issues with Microsoft, so the training modules for them are not complete.  For example they lack PDF worksheets (like in Module 3) and the Microsoft XP VM required to do the windows activities.  CyberPatriot says they are working on a fix, but that's about it.  If you hear anything or if I hear anything I'll be sure to post it here.

Irishrenegade

How are all of you liking the program so far? I am trying to start a team for the Oklahoma Wing because I think this is awesome and I do this for my job with the Gov't so hopefully we can get a solid group of cadets together.
SWR-OK-113
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets|Information Technology Officer
Is laige ag imeacht as an gcorp í an phian

NY Bred and now in OK

spacecommand

Right now we're crunching for time because the first competition is on Oct 23, since our squadron meets only once a week that leaves about 9-10 actual meetings of training we can get done (there are 5 training modules suggested by cyberpatriot).  However the CyberPatriot people have been slow in responding to some of their incomplete training modules (eg modules 4&5) have licensing issues with Microsoft. It is its third year doing this, you'd figure they'd have some of the kinks worked out already.

However having gone through Modules 1-2 and starting 3, the cadets seem to be enjoying it a bit.  Though sometimes it can get a bit technical for the non computer savy. 

C/Martin

My squadron is trying to get a Cyber Patriot team up. I am kinda excited considering I have been teaching my self computer security for about a year now.
Regards,
C/CMSgt
Todd Martin
Executive Officer/Chief
VA-023

JC004

I love the idea of this thing.  I tried promoting it heavily (like I do CLA. On a side note: send your cadets to CLA.  For cadets: apply.  It's even where I met our own awesome Lt Col Ned Lee.).  I think that we should keep doing stuff like this.

A.Member

Quote from: JC004 on September 27, 2010, 07:41:08 PM
I love the idea of this thing.  I tried promoting it heavily (like I do CLA. On a side note: send your cadets to CLA.  For cadets: apply.  It's even where I met our own awesome Lt Col Ned Lee.).  I think that we should keep doing stuff like this.
It is the present and it is the future.  No lie. 

The focus on Cyber Security is unprecedented.  The latest edition of "The Officer" (Reserve Officer Association magazine) has a good article on the topic as does the latest edistion of "Air Force" magazine.  Both the Air Force stood up a new numbered AF (the 24th) and the Army recently stood up Army Forces Cyber (ARFORCYBER).   

I said it before and I'll say it again, the opportunity for cadets it's terrific and it's one of the truly more meaningful activities for which this organization can be involved. 

To add to things a bit...know that in addition to receiving an all expense paid trip to Orlando for the finals, each member of the winning team received $3,000 plus some other goodies.  Not bad. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."