Shifting "up" Level Completion requirements for promotion

Started by RiverAux, July 12, 2010, 02:49:16 PM

Would you support the proposal below for altering the requirements for senior member promotion?

Yes
No
Don't Care

ZigZag911

Quote from: keystone102 on July 25, 2010, 12:19:55 AM
I believe this policy came from the Region Commander.

Col Hayden (NER CC), according to my information, usually conducts a phone interview with lt col candidates (or has CV do it), to make sure the person is actively contributing to CAP in a manner that merits promotion to lt col...basically an informal promotion board for lt col .however, I have not heard of any region requirements that candidates for lt col promotion serve in particular assignments or at higher HQ levels.

arajca

Quote from: Capt Rivera on July 25, 2010, 08:08:27 PM
So who is going to write up the proposal and get their Wing CC to sponsor it? Once thats done others can ask their Wing CC to support it out the gate. (co sponsor)
I'll work it, but I'll be posting several items as I go for clarification to make sure everyone understands what is really being proposed.

First - The Problem:
1. Few senior members complete Level 5 since there is little incentive in today's world.
2. Attaining the grade of Lt Col is merely a matter of not getting trouble and waiting out your time.
3. Earning a technician rating is 'triple dipping' since the member gets the Leadership ribbon, a badge, and a promotion to 1st Lt.
4.  Because of 3. 1st Lt is unlike the remaining grades, each of which requires completion of a PD Level.

Am I missing anything? The issue of the Benjamin O. Davis award not having a ribbon associated with it is a separate issue.

Note: I am just posting the basics. The proposal will be properly massaged and wordsmithed prior to posting here.

AlphaSigOU

I know, it'll never happen... what about giving 'chicken colonel' to Level V holders?

OK... let's not make it right away. Let's say they meet the following requirements:

• Completed Level V
  • Completed Executive level (whatever the highest level is) of Organizational Excellence specialty track
  • Minimum of 20 years active service in CAP. Service need not be consecutive, but all periods of service must be documented. If a former cadet, time also counts, but must also document any cadet milestone awards.
  • Be an active member for at least eight years as a Lt Col (continuing the TIG progression)
  • Successfully completed a term as a squadron commander or group commander
  • Initial appointment by national commander, with recommendation and concurrence from wing and region commanders
    Appointment is probationary for one year, permanent appointment to Col only upon national commander approval and published in NHQ promotion orders.
  • If the individual is appointed a wing or region commander after attaining the grade through professional development and duty performance, appointment is permanent only on completion of term.

Serious hoops to jump but methinks the wing kings and region rajahs will nix that idea fast.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MSG Mac

Good proposal, except for the OE track requirement, I meet all 5 criteria.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Short Field

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 27, 2010, 09:06:20 PM
I know, it'll never happen... what about giving 'chicken colonel' to Level V holders?
That proposal makes me actually like the OP's proposal.  That is all we need - more people walking around with eagles thinking they actually have authority.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

SarDragon

Quote from: CAPR 35-5c. Colonel. The grade of colonel is reserved for members of the National Board, region vice commanders, the Chief of the Chaplain Service, CAP Inspector General, National Safety Officer, National Historian, and the Chief of the CAP Health Program. The National Executive Committee (NEC) is the only agency authorized to otherwise promote senior members to the grade of colonel. Such promotions are announced in personnel actions published by National Headquarters. All colonel promotions are temporary. The permanent grade of colonel is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of assignment and must be recommended to the NEC for approval by the commander of the individual concerned.

Until the above is changed, Chuck's proposal won't fly.

I thought I read something in the AF regs to go along with this, making this change almost impossible, but I can't find it right now.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

DakRadz

As with the current system, members may complete the levels before attaining required for their next promotion.

Is there supposed to be another word in the bolded?

CCAlex

I think that all command positions need to be filled with somebody that used to have one. its like presidents. the best presidents are the ones who have been governor or something like that

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: CCAlex on July 28, 2010, 04:56:28 PM
I think that all command positions need to be filled with somebody that used to have one. its like presidents.

Used to have one, what?  A command position?  First of all, serving in a lower office is not a requirement or pre-requisite to hold the office of the POTUS.  Military / CAP-wise, if you make that a "requirement", how do you get the lower-ranking members in on the command experience in the first place?  If all command positions need to be filled with someone who has held previous command of something, where do they start out?  (i.e. A squadron is the "basic" unit of CAP.  Where does a future squadron commander gain their experience before being given command of a squadron?)

Quotethe bet presidents are the ones who have been governor or something like that

Presidental politics aside, I don't care for blanket statements like that.  I've seen plenty of leaders (CAP, government, or otherwise) that have had no previous "command" (or equivilant) experience, and have done great jobs, while I have also seen those who have risen through each possible echelon, and done horrible.

Bluelakes 13

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on July 28, 2010, 07:09:20 PM
Used to have one, what?  A command position?  First of all, serving in a lower office is not a requirement or pre-requisite to hold the office of the POTUS.  Military / CAP-wise, if you make that a "requirement", how do you get the lower-ranking members in on the command experience in the first place?  If all command positions need to be filled with someone who has held previous command of something, where do they start out?  (i.e. A squadron is the "basic" unit of CAP.  Where does a future squadron commander gain their experience before being given command of a squadron?)

Assistant PAO -> PAO -> Deputy CC -> CC

DakRadz

So a new squadron starting up can't have a Sqd/CC until he's been all of those? How does that work out?

I agree with Phoenix. Just because someone goes through the echelons doesn't make them outstanding. Or even capable. It really depends on the person.

Also, as a PAO, was that a shameless plug for your track? ;D If so, nice.

If not, perhaps you're a bit biased? ::)

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: DakRadz on July 28, 2010, 08:37:58 PM
So a new squadron starting up can't have a Sqd/CC until he's been all of those? How does that work out?

I agree with Phoenix. Just because someone goes through the echelons doesn't make them outstanding. Or even capable. It really depends on the person.

Also, as a PAO, was that a shameless plug for your track? ;D If so, nice.

If not, perhaps you're a bit biased? ::)

I don't think there was supposed to be the connection between the PAO and Deputy Cdr.  Two different things. 

Asst PAO -> PAO
Asst IT Officer -> IT Officer
Deputy Cdr -> Cdr

And on that note...

/PhoenixCadet withdraws that comment, as he hadn't even thought of Assistants or Deputies.

DakRadz

Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on July 28, 2010, 08:28:36 PM
Assistant PAO -> PAO -> Deputy CC -> CC
But he has an arrow between DCC and PAO. That's what made me think what I do.

I tried bolding that arrow- doesn't work. But you can see it easily.

I think we should just agree that there are valid reasons why cadets do not run the senior program, and only have an advisory opinion on the CP (CAC).

CCAlex

what I meant was it is better for presidents to have a command position for experience. :(

DakRadz

In which case the comment was unnecessary. But if that's what you really meant, then you shouldn't have worded your statement that way.

Quote from: CCAlex on July 28, 2010, 04:56:28 PM
I think that all command positions need to be filled with somebody that used to have one. its like presidents. the bet presidents are the ones who have been governor or something like that

You didn't say just Presidents, you said all command positions. Emphasis mine.

DakRadz

I only offered some spail chek (spell check for the humorously challenged) advice for the proposal that was posted. I wasn't about to offer advice on SM promotions.

Generally, conversations like this are not cadet-friendly territory. Do you see why?

MSG Mac

Quote from: CCAlex on July 28, 2010, 11:53:32 PM
what I meant was it is better for presidents to have a command position for experience. :(

Harry Truman did pretty well despite his lack of an "Executive" position, prior to becoming President. Ditto Abraham Lincoln.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

CCAlex

I am not asking who did better despite an executive position. I am merely pointing out that it might influence the odds of a better outcome for that presidency or term. EG: national commander of CAP