Main Menu

Encampment DeadLine?

Started by Almoster, June 21, 2010, 12:52:33 AM

Almoster

I just joined CAP and i was reading that were is an encampment next mounth and i know you have to complete the  Curry Achievement first before you go to an encampment and the aplication deadline is july first. Do you think i could complete the  Curry Achievement in time for the aplication deadline? and also when do you recive your CAP membership card because your also need that to atand an encampment?

a2capt

I've seen cadets complete it in as little as a few meetings.

If you have not gotten your books yet, see if someone in your flight who has that stripe already will let you use it for a week while you get yours ..

Almoster

Yea my friend has all the books he'll let me use them but, you have to have your CAP Id card and I dont have that yet :-\

tsrup

Quote from: Almoster on June 21, 2010, 01:09:09 AM
Yea my friend has all the books he'll let me use them but, you have to have your CAP Id card and I dont have that yet :-\

Ask your DCC if you show up on the roster in eServices yet.  If so, then he/she should be able to print you off a temporary.  If not, then you'll just have to play the waiting game. 
Paramedic
hang-around.

Almoster

Can u attened an encampment without one?

tsrup

Quote from: Almoster on June 21, 2010, 01:22:45 AM
Can u attened an encampment without one?

A CAP ID is required on the Encampment Application.  You also need to be in eServices to be able to have your Curry Submitted.  The fact of the matter is until you show up on your squadron's roster with a CAP ID number, you effectively "don't exist".

Now I don't know for absolutes, but I'm pretty sure that without a CAP ID number you wouldn't be covered by any CAP insurance policies making it very unlikely for you to be able to participate in encampment. 

If there is a hold up and it doesn't look like it's getting done, you can have your DCC call headquarters and see what the hold up is.  It's better to find out right away over the phone, than wait two months just to have your application sent back because there was a missing signature.
Paramedic
hang-around.

a2capt

You can attend encampment without the plastic card.

That said, you can print a "temporary" one from eServices. One is generated that looks like what you would get sent, with your CAP ID (#), and name on it.

Your Curry can be recorded just as soon as your membership is entered. Nothing is stopping you from preparing for that with the aid of other cadets, however you can't take the test or participate in any activities, especially physical activities in most cases as you simply do not exist and CAP in general does not have provisions for "guests" at events/activities. You are either a member or not.

With that, expect at least a couple meeting nights depending on the unit's schedule to be promoted if you are ready otherwise. I'll presume you've attended some already and done more than just sit and watch. The Curry is chapter one is a 25 question multiple choice that you need to score 70% or greater, and should you pass you will have to correct it to 100% with your (a) book available to you at that point. Fail it, and you can't even get a list of what you missed.

After that written test, the practical portion is an 11 step basic drill demonstration. The number off the top of my head is you need to do at least 7 of those properly to pass. Those two tests, 90 points on CPFT, the Cadet Oath, Moral Leadership / Character Development participation and a Review Board should get you the Curry Award.

There's a reason why it takes a few meetings, if the schedule works out.

Is it an ambitious schedule between now and then? Yes. Impossible? No.

Eclipse

Most encampments will accept an application from a new member pending their Curry, you just have to have it completed when you
show up, however you will need a CAP ID # (not the card, the #), to validate your membership.

While the deadline is important, don't fixate on it.

First, ask your Commander if it is reasonable for you to have your Curry completed by the encampment.

Assuming it is, then contact the encampment application person and tell them your plan and see if it is acceptable.

If it is, crack those books and get your Curry.

Bear in mind, though, that the odds of you having your Free Cadet Uniform parts by the encampment are pretty slim, as the lead times
lately have been months.

You should also make sure you understand and agree with any refund policies on the encampment deposit.

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetProgramGuy

From what I can see and tell, if you have the time and resources, you can make the encampment.

Curry and boards (if you have them) are most important

Buy your set of BDU's, get it complete.  Beg/borrow nametapes if you cannot get yours in time.

Buy a set of Blues, same beg / borrow for the accroutriments.

Not the first time I have sent a cadet to an encampment with mis named nametapes and such.  Regs state the need for a complete uniform.

Cecil DP

Don't you also need 8 weeks of membership to complete the achievement???
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

tsrup

Paramedic
hang-around.

CadetProgramGuy

56 days according to knowledgebase.

"The minimum separation of 2 months (8 weeks or 56 days) is the minimum period allowable (except for JROTC). The intent of a phased cadet promotion system is for cadets to gain knowledge and experience at each level and not to just simply focus on completing the requirements in minimum time. The unit commander and deputy commander have the responsibility of attesting to the cadet's ability to assume the next grade before certifying him/her for promotion."

** EDIT **

Actually this begs the question.  The regs state 8weeks or 56 days BETWEEN Promotions.  What about new Cadets members?  Can they promote to the Curry faster than that?

a2capt

New cadets can go faster, thought typically it doesn't happen any sooner than that, but I have seen it happen in two-three meetings when it's been obvious that the cadet was either exposed to it, been JROTC, or studied and drilled before the card was issued, to be ready when they could take first crack at it.

Eclipse

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on June 21, 2010, 03:56:38 AM
Actually this begs the question.  The regs state 8weeks or 56 days BETWEEN Promotions.  What about new Cadets members?  Can they promote to the Curry faster than that?

I've never seen anything that prescribed the minimum time to Curry, and I see a lot of apps where the join data and Curry date are the same because the cadet learned enough in the 3 weeks of "visits" to pass the test (or has family in the unit, is JROTC, etc., etc.,)

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetProgramGuy

I just never had the question come up, I just learned somthing.  Holy Buckets!!

ßτε

CAPR 52-16:
Quote2-3. Progression.
a. Sequence & Spacing. Cadets complete achievements and milestone awards sequentially. See Figure 2-1 for the Cadet Program's path of progression. Cadets may complete Achievement 1 any time after joining CAP. They may attempt the Spaatz Award exam any time after completing Phase IV (see paragraph 2-8g). All other achievements require a minimum separation of 2 months (approximately 8 weeks) between each achievement and milestone award (except as noted for JROTC in chapter 6).