How do you Open your Meetings?

Started by snpotratz, June 09, 2010, 07:11:46 PM

Krapenhoeffer

Alright, who thinks that it is appropriate to start a CAP meeting with Prayer? Is CAP a church? No! Is it appropriate to start public school days with prayer? NO! So why do people think that it is okay for CAP to start with prayer? Because I've seen stuff like this happen: Prayer happens, lead by a religious leader of a certain christian denomination, and somebody who is apparently the "wrong kind of Christian" starts being discriminated against. If you insist on having your children be proselytized, don't send them to CAP, send them to Church club. CAP is NOT a religious organization. We are a military organization. Having a prayer is discrimination against somebody who is non religious, or somebody who is the wrong kind of religion. Religious discrimination is forbidden by the CAP Constitution and CAPR 36-1.

As for the use of the Pledge of Allegiance at the beginning of CAP meetings, CAPP 151 has this to say on page 11: "When in a military-style uniform, stand at attention, and remain silent." and "The pledge is not normally recited when CAP members are in formation. Reciting the pledge when in a military-style uniform, let alone when assembled in a formation, is somewhat redundant - the uniform and all the other trappings of national service are themselves symbols of a special devotion to America." (Bear in mind this considers the TPU to be a military-style uniform).
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

DogCollar

I have been Chaplain at my squadron for 4 years and the only prayer I have led was before the meal at our squadron banquet.

We have been through many discussions on CAPtalk with regards to the questions of prayers and/or the relevence of chaplaincy in CAP.  All these conversations accomplish is a lot of hurt feelings.  Each "side" paints the other with an exceptionally large stroke.  While I am not a moderator and have no authority to request that posters use caution and a modicum of repect for others when replying to a position that you do not agree with; nontheless, I would like to make just such a request.

Thank you
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

AirAux

I can not find any way that a persons belief in a religion discriminates against a person that has no belief..  That is nuts..

lordmonar

We do the Pledge of Aleigence and the Cadet Oath
Fall out for formation and uniform inspection.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Major Lord

The only religious discrimination I have ever seen in CAP has been in the form of Atheist/Humanist hostility towards religion in general, Christianity in particular. Nonetheless, I don't think its appropriate to routinely open a Squadron meeting with a prayer..... Or the Pledge of Allegiance.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

JayT

Quote from: AirAux on June 10, 2010, 05:13:31 PM
I can not find any way that a persons belief in a religion discriminates against a person that has no belief..  That is nuts..

Why is your right to pray greater then my right to not be compelled to listern to it?

Not that I have a dog in the fight, but why even risk the controversy?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret