How do you Open your Meetings?

Started by snpotratz, June 09, 2010, 07:11:46 PM

snpotratz

I'm looking for ideas on good ways to start Cadet meetings.  Currently we form them up in flights, have announcements, and then begin the night.  I've heard some sqd. do a chaplain prayer, we've considered the Pledge of Allegiance as a possibility, anyone have other ideas?
Capt. Steven Potratz
Deputy Commander | RMR-MT-037
Director of Safety | MTWG

1LtNurseOfficer

Formation
Cadet Oath
Inspection
General schedule for evening (if applicable)
Final formation
Promotions/awards (if applicable)
Announcements/upcoming activities
Dismissal

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: snpotratz on June 09, 2010, 07:11:46 PM
I've heard some sqd. do a chaplain prayer, we've considered the Pledge of Allegiance as a possibility, anyone have other ideas?

Why do we need to pray at our meetings?
How do you do the pledge while silent and at attention?

1LtNurseOfficer

Our senior meeting is opened with the Pledge and prayer by the Chaplain.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: 1LtNurseOfficer on June 09, 2010, 07:35:05 PM
Our senior meeting is opened with the Pledge and prayer by the Chaplain.

And again, Why?

Are we a Church? Or are we meeting for a regular meeting?

a2capt

Everyone in their seats at the scheduled time
1st sergeant calls the room to order.
Command walks in
1st sergeant calls for the colors to be posted
Pledge of Allegiance
Announcements, schedule changes, etc.

Unit wide items like Safety.
1st sergeant directs flights to their respective mustering points
(IF you are testing, stay here, Alpha, report to xxx, Colorguard flight - outside, etc.)
and falls the room out.

Major Lord

Lt,

In case it was not made clear by the above poster, we don't say the pledge of allegiance in the AF uniform. This would leave the un-uniformed saying the pledge and the uniformed standing at attention, saluting if outdoors (or under arms)  and wearing headgear. Unless you are 100% sure that your Squadron is not going to have issues around an opening prayer, I would leave it out. Your regulatory authority for including it is questionable, and can/may very likely end in an IG hostile environment claim. I know you are in God's Country, and you are still in America, but "CAP"  is an anagram for "APC" ( Astoundingly Politically Correct)

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

JC004

Quote from: Major Lord on June 09, 2010, 07:43:03 PM
"CAP"  is an anagram for "APC" ( Astoundingly Politically Correct)

Sheesh.  Another one.  Maybe we should have a directory of what "CAP" stands for, like "Come And Pay," etc.   >:D

Senior

We can't pray to God, the Creator of the Universe, but we can
and do worship at the altar of diversity and political correctness.
That makes perfect sense. 

Opening Formation
Inspection
Dismissal to Class, Testing, etc.
Final Formation

In Army ROTC sometimes the cadre would talk about a leader in history, about a battle, or a famous quote of course applicable to the situation while in opening formations or the beginning of class.  In CAP we could talk about leaders, leadership, current events as it
applies to CAP.

Майор Хаткевич

Who's G-d would you be praying to?

Allah, Jehovah, Jesus, Buddha (not a god, but you get the point)?

From experience, no Chaplain I've seen ever manage to not turn it Christian.

As an Atheist I don't care, but as someone who doesn't think it has place at most events CAP participates in, especially with diverse cadet/SM membership, it infuriates me. 

jimmydeanno

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 09, 2010, 09:48:46 PM...

Here's an idea.  Post what you do to open your meetings and put this discussion in the recent thread about it.

All the squadron's I've ever been a member of have done this:

1) Formation
2) Report
3) National Anthem
4) Cadet Oath
5) Carry on with the events for the night.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Lord

My point exactly. It only takes one disgruntled member to take offense. Now it may be that their Squadron has well adjusted mature people who can tolerate the oppressiveness intrinsic to a belief in God, and they can get by with it for awhile, but eventually they will have a person who gates god and worships "tolerance", and the Sq will have to change to suit them.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Spaceman3750

Quote from: snpotratz on June 09, 2010, 07:11:46 PM
we've considered the Pledge of Allegiance as a possibility

Quote from: USAFaux2004Our senior meeting is opened with the Pledge

Regarding pledging while in military uniform...

Quote from: 4 USC 4The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag: "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.", should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. When not in uniform men should remove any non-religious headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode04/usc_sec_04_00000004----000-.html

Therefore, by my interpretation the pledge is fine if you have people in civvies and corporate uniforms but those in military uniform (all cadets) would not pledge.

Krapenhoeffer

It's not "worshiping the god of political correctness." It's called not violating the Establishment Clause. Yes, it applies to CAP, because we are chartered by Congress and act as an instrumentality of the United States Government. We are an Air Force-sponsored activity, and the Auxiliary of the US Air Force. And the Constitution totally applies to the Air Force. Non-denominational invocations during a Wing Conference is fine, but invocations at weekly meetings is proselytizing.

Doing the Pledge of Allegiance is redundant, as wear of the uniform is a "Pledge of Allegiance" in and of itself. National Anthem is far more appropriate for a meeting opening.

Here's how our squadron does things:

Fall into formation.
Reporting into Sq/CC ("Sir, 20 Cadets present. Sir, 15 Seniors present")
Flag raising/Nat'l Anthem
Orders of the Day
Seniors dismissed to duties/Cadet uniform inspection
Cadets dismissed to duties.

closing:

Fall into formation
Reporting to Sq/CC
Flag lowering/Taps
Dismissal
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

exFlight Officer

My Squadron's Agenda:

-Room Attention.
-National Anthem.
-Cadet Oath.
-Announcements and Newsletter.

Major Lord

Do you sing the National anthem? Play it on a boom box?

Major Lord

exFlight Officer

We play it on the squadron computer.

HGjunkie

This is for a cadet Sq.

Room tench- hut
Pledge of allegiance
Cadet Oath
Short Prayer
Opening formation
Drill (1st half)
break
Class/Sport
Awards/promotions (situation applicable)
dismissal
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: 1LtNurseOfficer on June 09, 2010, 07:26:07 PM
Formation
Cadet Oath
Inspection
Final formation
Dismissal

+1

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on June 10, 2010, 02:09:32 AM
Quote from: 1LtNurseOfficer on June 09, 2010, 07:26:07 PM
Formation
Cadet Oath
Inspection
Final formation
Dismissal

+1

+2