Helping a new unit?

Started by C/Martin, May 27, 2010, 02:42:31 PM

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: a2capt on May 28, 2010, 01:21:57 AM
Let me add, I don't go in with the intention, but members.. talking to other members, and by the end, and during the debrief session after, it usually turns into, helping out with stuff, too. OTOH, I have been asked back for the very reason a few times, too.

I wouldn't get into anyones stuff without the chain of command being aware, on the receiving end. IE, ES asking for advice, UDF assistance training assistance, etc- without their CC being in the loop. But do I need it from my end? That just seems absurd. We're all part of the same organization.
Well I think there's a fair amount of squadron commanders that want to know if their members are visiting other units.   Perhaps it is their paranoia to a certain extent BUT I don't think it is that much of a problem just to mention it.    I do agree that before visiting any unit to help out that particular unit commander needs to give his/her approval.   
RM

a2capt

Okay, so, you're on a road trip, whatever- you stop in and visit a unit on their published meeting night and the course of the conversation goes as typical, "I'm Capt. Doomafloogie, from the Fillable Unit, Fillable Group/wing ..  " and I am the unit Gobstopper Officer, among other duties" ..

So their unit Gobstopper Officer takes you aside and asks your opinion, or how you accomplish some task.. and/or how to use eServices to log it, report it, etc.

Or heck, you add in that you have a Level III Lost Cadet Finder rating as well, and it turns out that their meeting this evening is related to Cadet Finding and they are doing SQTR task training. 

Oh, hey, can you help us with some training this evening?

Nope, sorry, I can't. Call my CC and ask.

Note, no where did I say sign offs.

Eclipse

^ If you're taking the time to find out when a published meeting night is, you have the time to ask your unit CC if its ok, as well as the one you are visiting.  Email is free, everyone has it (certainly unit CC's) and most publish their cel numbers. 

No lame excuses.

A unit commander is directly responsible and the authority for anything his members do in a CAP context.  Which means its not a courtesy to
ask, its a responsibility.  If you ask your unit CC if its OK to visit other units and he says "no", you are free to vote with your feet and serve elsewhere, but beyond that the conversation is over.

Same with visiting the other unit.

Why is this so hard to grasp?  Again the mental gymnastics some people will go through just to prove no one can tell them "no". 

You may feel you're the Johnny Appleseed of CAP, however others may not share that opinion.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Wait a minute, so visiting other units outright is no good either?

Something really wrong here, period.

I'm on "vacation", I choose to visit a local unit.

..and no, it's not an excuse. Whatever.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: a2capt on May 29, 2010, 06:46:13 PM
Wait a minute, so visiting other units outright is no good either?

Are you just trying to be argumentative?

The issue was regularly attending and assisting another unit...   Not answering a few casual "How do you guys do things" at a one-off meeting at which the assistance was not the reason for the visit.

DBlair

If this Cadet will be regularly helping out with the other unit, why not just discuss it with both Commanders, make sure the details are discussed and approved, and then assign him ADY or TDY to the second unit. That way, he can stay at his home unit and also help with the second unit.

Back WIWAC, I helped out another local unit (ADY) and then later, I was (ADY) on Wing Staff. I'm not sure why this Cadet's situation would be much different than a CAPF2a noting ADY or TDY to the second unit.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

a2capt

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 29, 2010, 07:41:03 PM
Are you just trying to be argumentative?
The issue was regularly attending and assisting another unit...   Not answering a few casual "How do you guys do things" at a one-off meeting at which the assistance was not the reason for the visit.
Me? No.

If you call regularly attending.. attending a meeting once a year, at another unit, then I guess so. But that was my point, I attend meetings in cities I visit when I get the chance if the schedule allows, aside from in my own group where we all help each other, I can't say that I've ever visited the same unit more than twice with exception of a couple in the Kansas City area, one that used to meet at 75th & Neiman, and one thats at New Century. The third week in July, typically. That was the basis of my original post in this fork of thread subject.

RickRutledge

Is any of this protocol published in regulations or is it simply a "gentleman's agreement" that a CC be contacted before "dropping in?" I've never seen it, if it is published.

WIWAC, I visited a squadron in my mom's hometown while I was visiting family one summer. I tried to call the CC prior to but wasn't able to get a hold of him (before cell phones). I cleared it with him as soon as I got there and all was well in the world. If a CC gets bunched up about a member from another squadron dropping in, how does he feel about visitors? It's one thing to show up regularly with the intention of "helping" but its another to just stop by for a visit.

IMO, we have far bigger fish to fry.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)