CAP NBB New England Transportation

Started by CWinot, May 25, 2010, 03:02:35 AM

CWinot

I am going to the NBB/Oshkosh Airshow in Wisconsin. Are there any cadets and/or senior members going there also from the New England Area?

I'm thinking this because a carpool might save money versus round trip airfare.

-Cadet Winot

Cecil DP

New England comprises a very wide area. Why not narrow it down to a Wing or even 100 mile radius of your location. Also check with your Wing, they probably know of other members who are attending and can put you in touch with them.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

a2capt

Well, the originator could be from the northern most corner :) ..and pick up a couple few on the way around the bend. Nothing says they all need to get in the 'bus' at the same locale..

CWinot

Sorry about the delayed response, but I am from connecticut wing, wasn't thinking at hte time i wrote the message

cap235629

Quote from: Cecil DP on May 27, 2010, 02:00:07 AM
New England comprises a very wide area.

Yeah like 1/3rd the size of Texas or California and half the size of Arkansas. That's funny!  It is only 90 miles between Boston and Concord NH!

::)  ::)  ::)
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

dhon27

Quote from: cap235629 on May 31, 2010, 01:38:51 AM
Yeah like 1/3rd the size of Texas or California and half the size of Arkansas. That's funny!  It is only 90 miles between Boston and Concord NH!

Well, as a native New Englander, just to clarify: New England is about 1/4 the size of Texas, 1/2 the size of California and 25% bigger than Arkansas!  ;)

cap235629

Quote from: dhon27 on June 06, 2010, 03:23:14 AM
Quote from: cap235629 on May 31, 2010, 01:38:51 AM

Well, as a native New Englander, just to clarify: New England is about 1/4 the size of Texas, 1/2 the size of California and 25% bigger than Arkansas!  ;)

I am from Massachusetts and you better get that ruler out again
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

dhon27

Not to derail the thread, but in terms of total area, the approximate ratios I posted above are about right.  New England includes Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut, which is about 72,000 square miles total (granted, per Wikipedia).  Texas is about 269,000 square miles, California about 164,000 square miles and Arkansas about 53,000 square miles. 

Having said that, I agree with the previous post about checking with your Wing about possible other attendees from your Wing, but given your relative proximity to major population areas in nearby Wings, checking in on this on other CAP forums isn't a bad idea either.

Good luck and have fun!

Cecil DP

Quote from: Cecil DP on May 27, 2010, 02:00:07 AM
New England comprises a very wide area. Why not narrow it down to a Wing or even 100 mile radius of your location. Also check with your Wing, they probably know of other members who are attending and can put you in touch with them.

My response was that the cadet was asking for a ride without any indication as to where he was located. It's easier to respond to a request for a ride if you know where you expect to be picked up and how far you have to travel to do this favor. Yeah New England is smaller than Texas, but if you lived in El Paso, would you consider it convernient to pick up someone in Brownsville on your way to Blue Beret? It is within the same Wing!
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RickRutledge

For the record: El Paso is almost 100 miles closer to Indio, CA then it is to Houston, TX.  ;)
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)