Is The Encampment Rocketry Program Worth It?

Started by Su-Mil, April 17, 2010, 04:50:02 PM

Su-Mil

I have attended the Michigan Basic Encampment last year and I am interested in attending again this year in their Rocketry Program. However, I recently have found a "Cadet Rocketry Program" which can be done in our local Squadron without going to encampment. So I am curious as to if the Rocketry Program at Encampment is similar or the same to the Cadet Rocketry Program; I don't want to spend my money on attending the Encampment's program if I can do the same thing without doing so. If it is the same I will attend CLS.

Thanks.

C/A1c, Wallis
GLR-MI-202

addo1

Quote from: Su-Mil on April 17, 2010, 04:50:02 PM
I have attended the Michigan Basic Encampment last year and I am interested in attending again this year in their Rocketry Program. However, I recently have found a "Cadet Rocketry Program" which can be done in our local Squadron without going to encampment. So I am curious as to if the Rocketry Program at Encampment is similar or the same to the Cadet Rocketry Program; I don't want to spend my money on attending the Encampment's program if I can do the same thing without doing so. If it is the same I will attend CLS.

Thanks.

C/A1c, Wallis
GLR-MI-202

I would imagine that they have their own special way of doing things AT the encampment, along with all the materials being provided. In all honesty though, you can do it at your local unit through the rocketry program just as well. Sure, at the encampment, you will have provided materials and will have a great time, but the achievements for the rocketry badge can be completed just as easily locally.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

Su-Mil

Rotorhead

If this is done at Encampment, it's a bonus.

Given all the things in the CAP syllabus that need to be accomplished, I am surprised rocketry isn't left as a squadron activity.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

DC

Quote from: Rotorhead on April 17, 2010, 10:42:38 PM
If this is done at Encampment, it's a bonus.

Given all the things in the CAP syllabus that need to be accomplished, I am surprised rocketry isn't left as a squadron activity.
Yeah, I have never understood when activities like rocketry, ES training, and O-Flights (except military ones) occur at encampment. When I went to my basic encampment we were plenty busy learning about CAP and the Air Force, cleaning our barracks and touring the base...

NIN

As a former MI Wing'er....

The encampment rocketry program is a completely separate "post-basic year" program that is for cadets who have a serious interest in rocketry. As I recall, its a week in which you can complete most, if not all, the requirements for the rocketry badge, including launches, wind tunnel/swing testing, etc.

Its not conducted for basic cadets (although at one point, the basic cadets get a brief "this is the CAP rocketry program, and oh, look, we have people here actually _doing_ it.. watch as they launch this big rocket!"), but rather for cadets who aren't maybe cut out for cadet staff, or have not advanced to the point by encampment #2 to be on staff, or cadets who are more aerospace oriented than others.

Its not a bad program.  IIRC, Lt Col Mark Sinicki runs the program and he's a Brewer Award winner for his AE work, so take that for what its worth.  Plus, he's a gigantic rocket geek.

:)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

MIKE

Is there enough "encampment" in the activity for it to count as additional encampment attendance?  IIRC when MAWG used to do the flight encampment it counted for clasps... Don't know if was really kosher though.
Mike Johnston

Slim

The Michigan Wing Model Rocketry Encampment (it's technically a school, but I didn't get to pick the name) uses the exact same curriculum used at the local unit.  It is one of several, stand-alone, tenant programs that takes place at the same time as the basic cadet encampment.  The benefit of doing it at the encampment is that all of the requirements for the program are completed in one week.  From nothing to wearing a rocketry badge in about 6.5 days.  As long as you pass the tests, and all of your launches are successful, you'll get the badge at the end of the week.

There are other benefits, of course.  One, you're doing it with a different group of people-not on your own or with the same faces you see every week at the squadron.  It's not just a lot of boring classroom stuff; you're building, testing and launching rockets after about the second day.  The other benefit is that you're learning from experts, people with decades of model rocketry experience.  The instructors there are in their fifth year of running the program, and they've got it down to a science (no pun intended).  Since they started, I've not known of any cadets (or seniors) who didn't complete the program.  Seniors are allowed to participate as students so that they can learn the program and take it back to their home units.  However, no badge for seniors.

The one downside is cost.  In addition to the cost of the encampment itself, there is an additional fee to cover the cost of supplies (rocket kits, motors, etc).  This is typically about $50 above the cost of encampment (which is still in process of being set).

Is it worth it?  I've not been too involved with the program myself, but I know that everyone who has gone through it has enjoyed it and found it worthwhile.  If aerospace and rockets are your thing, then this is the right program for you.  If you'd like to contact me by private message here, I can try to put you in touch with a graduate of the program so you can get some good, first-hand information.

For the original poster, CLS may be an option for you, but I'd suggest getting a move-on with promotions.  The minimum grade requirement is C/SSgt (waiverable at the descretion of the CLS course director).

Slim