Finally Started HAM radio!

Started by maverik, April 09, 2010, 02:47:50 AM

maverik

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 13, 2010, 05:39:11 AM
Depending on the VEC (Volunteer Examiner Committee), you may be able to take all three tests in one session. When I took my ham radio exam, I passed the Technician (Element 2), then was given General (Element 3). ( I didn't pass.) If you pass General you might be offered to take the Amateur Extra exam.

Good luck and 73,
V7/KJ6GHO

My VEC gave me the go to take all three to quote him "Well seeing as you have that comm patch if you're feeling froggy I'll let you (and the others) take all three tests with one fee if you can pass."  Which the local fee is $15 so having that chance for 15 bucks aint a bad deal.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Fubar

Quote from: JoeTomasone on April 13, 2010, 06:03:34 PMThere were 2m repeaters operating as well in some areas; Hancock and Jackson counties, for example.

If I recall correctly, the Hancock sheriff's office was using a 2m ham repeater to communicate with PMT, the Red Cross, and I believe a neighboring sheriff's office. I wish I could recall his name, but there was a ham running net control darn near 24 hours a day. I've always wanted to send him a note of thanks, he did a great job.

maverik

I am reading in a HAM book (just to learn about it more) from like the 90's I think back when they had novice and CW was a requirement, anyways it said that some people simply took the extra tes as their first.  So my question is what's stopping me from going in on test day sitting down and just taking the technician and the extra or just taking the extra?  Can anyone point me to an actual Reg?

EDIT:
Had a better idea.  Since the test changes or gets revised or some jazz like that in june could I just go get my technician APR 24 (because I doubt I can prepare for my extra in a week) then before the test changes go to the next test day which is may 29th so I have a month to study my 4th contact into oblivion?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

wacapgh

Each exam is called in FCC-speak, an "Element". The written test for a Technician class license is Element 2, for General Element 3, and Extra is Element 4. Element 1 used to be the Morse code exam, which was dropped for all licenses in 2007.

Note that each license requires completion the elements of the preceding class before a new license is "Granted" (again, FCC-speak)

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=licensing_2&id=amateur

So, it is possible to take just Elements 2 and 4 at the same testing session, but I would advise against it and here's why:

If you fail a test, you are prohibited from taking any more exams at the that testing session (as in KJ6GHO's example). If you fail to pass the first test you take, you're done for the day. If you choose to take the Extra/E4 first - get the hardest out of the way strategy - and fail, you cannot then take the General or Tech exams.

If you pass both, you would be issued a Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) for Elements 2 and 4. You would eligible to apply for a Technician class license with the CSCE for Element 2. You would also then have 365 days to complete the Element 3 exam and submit that CSCE with your Element 4 CSCE and apply for an Extra class license.

On the 366th day, you loose credit for the Element 4 exam and would have to retake it before you can apply for an Extra class license (after having passed the General/Element 3 exam).

If you're a good study, then go for it! Take all three in one sitting. It has been done, but not very often.  Keeping the frequency and operating restrictions for each class separate is enough of a challenge.

Good luck and 73!
N7NHW

maverik

well seeing as how my local club tests every 4th saturday what I plan on since I keep passing the practice tests the VECs give me is take technician then general then may 29 finish up extra that way I have about a month or two to learn the material.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

maverik

Just an update I keep scoring 90% on all my techie practice exams and moving on to general study guide with any luck you'll be seeing a cadet running around at NESA with their 1X3 callsign on their staff hat.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

CAP.is.1337

I thought Tech and General were both pretty similar in difficulty. (I think the only electrical thing you need to remember is V=IR, but I may be wrong.) Both can easily be passed through only practice testing, however you have to know theory to pass Extra, as that is much harder! If you can do all three in one shot, you save $30, and have bragging rights as a new ham starting out as an Extra!

KJ4CYM - General here!
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

wuzafuzz

Quote from: CAP.is.1337 on April 23, 2010, 08:35:00 AM
I thought Tech and General were both pretty similar in difficulty. (I think the only electrical thing you need to remember is V=IR, but I may be wrong.) Both can easily be passed through only practice testing, however you have to know theory to pass Extra, as that is much harder! If you can do all three in one shot, you save $30, and have bragging rights as a new ham starting out as an Extra!

KJ4CYM - General here!
Congrats and 73 de KE6BBA
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

maverik

Pssed Tech today, missed general by one more info when I get back from my JROTC CG event.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

JoeTomasone

Quote from: maverik on April 24, 2010, 04:40:55 PM
Pssed Tech today, missed general by one more info when I get back from my JROTC CG event.

Congrats!   :clap:

bkwheeler

Congrats,

I tired to pass mine back in 1982. I was 13 and couldn't get a handle on CW. Well I also decided that it was time to finish what I started. Took technican exam last Saturday and passed.

Callsign is KF7JJS.

Brian Wheeler
new SM with WA northshore squadron
Brian K. Wheeler
SM WA Northshore Squadron

maverik

AWESOME!!! Now I just gotta wait for the FCC do gimme my call so I can change it lol.  Sent my application into ARES.  Anyways I got up this morning and got ready.  Went by the gas station picked me up a huge monster and nutra grain bar (the breakfast of new technicians! lol) went to the local redcross sat down plopped my fee down and prepared myself.  During the test a combination of nerves and caffeine hit me at once and I swear my hand was getting ready to detach itself and tap dance! But I passed with a 31 out of 35 and a 25 out of 35 on the general so by the end of June I'll be an Extra. with any luck
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

maverik

got my call KC9SFU which is interesting what SFU can stand for  :P like six feet under haha >:D
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT