Ground Team badges: When awarded?

Started by Hawk200, March 15, 2010, 08:42:03 PM

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on March 16, 2010, 03:21:52 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 16, 2010, 02:54:40 PM
Quote from: sarmed1 on March 16, 2010, 02:21:39 PM
The authorization letter came from National...I'll search for it and scan/upload it when I get home.

mk

It would probably have needed to, since that would require a supplement to 60-x for the wing, however that doesn't mean its recognized
out of the wing. 

But whether that school is recognized outside of the Wing is a different story. 35-6 encourages wings and regions to run schools for this purpose but is typically vague on that point.  The only one spelled out specifically is NESA.

Yes....Eclipse.....35-6 spells it out specifically....NESA and any acitivity approved by NHQ/DO.....with like maybe a letter of authorisation!

RTFM!

That letter is worthless outside of that wing. Something like that needs to be codified in some manner. I wouldn't have a problem with it being in an amendment separate from the reg so it can be kept up to date outside of the regular reg cycle.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

Why would you need the letter outside the wing?  The wing hold the course, the wing gets the authorisation to award the senior GTM badge for holding the course.  The wing awards the badge to their graduates.

Why would I in NVWG care about it one way or the other?  Little Jonny transfers in to my unit with his Senior GTM badge I don't bling twice.  I may ask him about it....He says "It it from the TXWG AGSAR school", he had the approprate paperwork in his records.....okay...I'm good.

As for adding it to a supplement.....what if it was a one time school, not something recurring?  No need to go the supplement route for a one time good deal.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Stonewall

Something I always like to add to these discussions about "when/how to award GTM/EMT type badges" is...

DO IT IN THE FIELD!

Here is an older pic of me promoting a cadet to C/2d Lt (Mitchell) during our annual 3-day Winter Exercise. 

If you have a cadet/senior who is about to earn their GTM/EMT badge, hold off until their in the field and finish up their final tasks and "pin them" during a field ceremony.  It makes a lasting impression, they are usually caught by surprise and it's cool.
Serving since 1987.

lordmonar

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on March 16, 2010, 06:18:31 PM
Why would you need the letter outside the wing?  The wing hold the course, the wing gets the authorisation to award the senior GTM badge for holding the course.  The wing awards the badge to their graduates.

Why would I in NVWG care about it one way or the other?  Little Jonny transfers in to my unit with his Senior GTM badge I don't bling twice.  I may ask him about it....He says "It it from the TXWG AGSAR school", he had the approprate paperwork in his records.....okay...I'm good.

As for adding it to a supplement.....what if it was a one time school, not something recurring?  No need to go the supplement route for a one time good deal.

Internal to the Wing they can do whatever they want.  Since they hold the keys to task sign-offs anyway, I don't think you'd even need a supplement.

The issue is anyone from outside the state participating, because absent NHQ authorization and/or an NHQ charter that gives them the
ability to sign off anyone in CAP, the local commander(s) are free to say "I have no idea what that school is, who the instructors were, or what you did.  No pin for you!" 

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on March 16, 2010, 07:03:38 PMThe issue is anyone from outside the state participating, because absent NHQ authorization and/or an NHQ charter that gives them the ability to sign off anyone in CAP, the local commander(s) are free to say "I have no idea what that school is, who the instructors were, or what you did.  No pin for you!"
I may not do the same thing, but I can see the reasoning, and would consider it valid if a commander chose to take the stance.

If someone showed up from another wing, I'd want to see the paperwork, and a signed off SQTR. Don't think it's too much to ask. If someone did the tasks, they should be signed off an it.

Parsifal

Quote from: Stonewall on March 16, 2010, 06:31:00 PM
Something I always like to add to these discussions about "when/how to award GTM/EMT type badges" is...

DO IT IN THE FIELD!

If you have a cadet/senior who is about to earn their GTM/EMT badge, hold off until their in the field and finish up their final tasks and "pin them" during a field ceremony.  It makes a lasting impression, they are usually caught by surprise and it's cool.

A great idea. Just like jump school.....except for the "blood wings."

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Stonewall on March 16, 2010, 06:31:00 PM
...DO IT IN THE FIELD...

One of the last SAREXs I was GTL for had 5 cadet from my unit on it (we work together during the meetings, we work together at SAREXs) had a missing person search that would require a GT to hike up a (slightly over) 4000' mountain with 360 degree views and nothing man made in sight and stay over night.

The next morning, the cadets finished their final tasks on the top of the mountain after quite a significant hike, 40 degree night with shelter material (not tents), etc.  I had brought GT badges with me in my pack as well as a pair of C/CMSgt insignia.  I promoted (legitimately) one of our cadets to C/CMSgt and awarded the GT badges as the sun came up and just broke over the mountain ridge to the east.

and so ushers in, a new day.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on March 16, 2010, 07:03:38 PMThe issue is anyone from outside the state participating, because absent NHQ authorization and/or an NHQ charter that gives them the
ability to sign off anyone in CAP, the local commander(s) are free to say "I have no idea what that school is, who the instructors were, or what you did.  No pin for you!"

?? We are discussing what exactly?

TXWG has a AGSAR school....someone said that he has a copy of the letter from NHQ (I assume DO) that says it is equivilant to NESA.  That is the end of the story.  No need for a suplement, no need for anything else.  Some cadet goes to the AGSAR school gets his (I assume) GTM1 signed off and gets his Senior GT badge.

Anyone from out of state would have to have his squadron and wing CC approval....because you are all following proper CAP procerdures for attendance of out of state functions.  The local commander already know that Little Timmy was going to TXWG for the AGSAR school.  If not there are a lot bigger issues then Little Timmy wear a Star over his GT badge.

If little Timmy transfers over to my unit...as I said I may ask....but I won't push the issue.  If Little Timmy says the TXWG AGSAR school said to wear it....I'll let him wear it. 

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on March 16, 2010, 08:24:25 PM
?? We are discussing what exactly?

TXWG has a AGSAR school....someone said that he has a copy of the letter from NHQ (I assume DO) that says it is equivilant to NESA.  That is the end of the story.  No need for a suplement, no need for anything else.  Some cadet goes to the AGSAR school gets his (I assume) GTM1 signed off and gets his Senior GT badge.

Anyone from out of state would have to have his squadron and wing CC approval....because you are all following proper CAP procerdures for attendance of out of state functions.  The local commander already know that Little Timmy was going to TXWG for the AGSAR school.  If not there are a lot bigger issues then Little Timmy wear a Star over his GT badge.

A squadron and wing CC will approve of participation, but that doesn't mean they get blanket approval of the badge just for showing up.  Again, a cadet from TXWG goes there, no issue, no question, the letter probably wasn't even necessary.  A cadet from any other wing is an issue both from a practical standpoint and as to whether the school was approved for anyone outside TXWG.  That's the discussion.  If it were "that easy" HMRS would have gotten the same approval years ago.

Quote from: lordmonar on March 16, 2010, 08:24:25 PM
If little Timmy transfers over to my unit...as I said I may ask....but I won't push the issue.  If Little Timmy says the TXWG AGSAR school said to wear it....I'll let him wear it.

No issue there.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Well here is the issue.

HRMS does not care about the GT badge....they are all about the ranger tab.  Why worry about getting a star on your GT badge when you got four different ranger tabs between them?

Secondly....the real issue is that just like NESA you don't get the badge for just showing up.  In basic GSAR school if you fail to complete the GTM-3 tasks you don't graduate...(this is next to impossible so you don't see it that often).  The issue is that the AGSAR school awards the badge for completeing what is actually only GTM1....not GTL that the rest of the world has to do.

Again not something HMRS cares on whit about...because at HMRS you will be getting your First Class Super Ranger tab....who cares about getting your star.....you can get that when you turn 18.

So the HMRS comparison is not a player.

Bottom line.  If the activity director gets the authorisation from NHQ/DO that is it.  Done deal.  The activity director gets to approve whether an individual has passed or not and awards the badge.....unit commander has no say in it!

Unit commander can only say "yes you can go" or "no you can't go".

N Harmon

It would really suck if someone attended a school that the NHQ/DO certifies as equivalent to NESA, and said someone's squadron or wing commander drags their feet in approving an award that has been earned according to regulation. That isn't a squadron or wing I would want to be a member of.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Hawk200

Quote from: N Harmon on March 17, 2010, 01:40:40 AM
It would really suck if someone attended a school that the NHQ/DO certifies as equivalent to NESA, and said someone's squadron or wing commander drags their feet in approving an award that has been earned according to regulation. That isn't a squadron or wing I would want to be a member of.
I've seen similar things happen in every wing I've been in, for various reasons. The latest is because the commander doesn't know the regs, and really doesn't like it when he's shown the regs that disagree with him (and won't accept).  Fortunately, he's gone shortly.