Ground Team badges: When awarded?

Started by Hawk200, March 15, 2010, 08:42:03 PM

Hawk200

Just had a discussion at lunch with a newer senior concerning Ground Team badge requirements.

The question: Can (or should) the GTM badge be awarded when an individual gets GTM3? Or should it be awarded once the member has completed GTM1?

Curious as to the overall view here.

lordmonar

GTM3
Quote from: CAPR 35-64. Requirements for Award of the Ground Team Badges:
a. Basic Ground Team Badge:
1) Be qualified as a CAP ground team member in accordance with the CAP 60-series regulations or
2) Graduate from the CAP National Ground Search and Rescue School Basic Course or equivalent program as determined by NHQ CAP/DO and certified by the school/activity director. Each wing and region is encouraged to host ground team schools with the intent of certifying their members. All schools must ensure trainees meet the current regulatory requirements for qualification in the specialty before the rating is awarded.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: lordmonar on March 15, 2010, 08:52:56 PM
GTM3
1) Be qualified as a CAP ground team member in accordance with the CAP 60-series regulations or
2) Graduate from the CAP National Ground Search and Rescue School Basic Course or equivalent program as determined by NHQ CAP/DO and certified by the school/activity director. Each wing and region is encouraged to host ground team schools with the intent of certifying their members. All schools must ensure trainees meet the current regulatory requirements for qualification in the specialty before the rating is awarded.
That I know, but it doesn't answer the question. Can or should the badge be awarded to a GTM3?

Maybe a better way to ask: Is a GTM3 considered a qualified ground team member?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 15, 2010, 09:08:33 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on March 15, 2010, 08:52:56 PM
GTM3
That I know, but it doesn't answer the question. Can or should the badge be awarded to a GTM3?

Maybe a better way to ask: Is a GTM3 considered a qualified ground team member?

Yes.  If a "Ground Team Member" Level 3 isn't a Ground Team Member, who would be?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Yes - the badge is awarded (or basically self-awards) upon either completion of the GT3 rating, or upon successful completion of the applicable NESA curriculum.

The Senior Award (star) is for GTL.

The Master Award (star+laurel wreath) is for GBD.

There are no badges for GT2 or 1.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on March 15, 2010, 09:14:39 PM
Yes - the badge is awarded (or basically self-awards) upon either completion of the GT3 rating, or upon successful completion of the applicable NESA curriculum.

The Senior Award (star) is for GTL. (or completion of NESA AGSAR Course)

The Master Award (star+laurel wreath) is for GBD.

There are no badges for GT2 or 1.

BOLD added.  :D

N Harmon

Quote from: CAPR 35-6
4. Requirements for Award of the Ground Team Badges:
   b. Senior Ground Team Badge:
      1) Be qualified as a CAP ground team leader in accordance with the CAP 60-series regulations or
      2) Graduate from the CAP National Ground Search And Rescue School Advanced Course or equivalent program as determined by NHQ CAP/DO and certified by the school/activity director. Each wing and region is encouraged to host ground team schools with the intent of certifying their members. All schools must ensure trainees meet the current regulatory requirements for qualification in the specialty before the rating is awarded.
   c. Master Ground Team Badge. Be qualified as a CAP ground branch director in accordance with the CAP 60-series regulations.

Like Maj Harris said, the senior Ground Team Badge can be awarded to graduates of NESA's advanced GSAR course (or equivilant). I had to talk down a senior member from busting a cadet over a senior ground team badge because he knew the cadet could not be a GTL (too young). I, however, knew the cadet attended NESA advanced GSAR.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

MichaelAGates

QuoteCAP National Ground Search and Rescue School Basic Course or equivalent program as determined by NHQ CAP/DO

Anyone know of any specific programs that have been determined to be equivalent besides NESA courses?

Eclipse

Quote from: MichaelAGates on March 16, 2010, 01:35:00 AM
QuoteCAP National Ground Search and Rescue School Basic Course or equivalent program as determined by NHQ CAP/DO

Anyone know of any specific programs that have been determined to be equivalent besides NESA courses?

None - its work the tasks and the SQTRS at home squadron (etc.) or go to NESA.  HMRS doesn't even award the GT badges except as coincidental completion of the various tasks.

"That Others May Zoom"

N Harmon

I seem to recall someone saying Alabama Wing's FTX was equivalent to NESA courses, but I could not say for sure.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Eclipse

Quote from: N Harmon on March 16, 2010, 02:08:43 AM

I seem to recall someone saying Alabama Wing's FTX was equivalent to NESA courses, but I could not say for sure.

It could even be using the exact same curriculum, but its not approved as such.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

OK, here's a follow-on Q.

Sign-offs in eServices confer the various designations (MO, MP, etc), but what is the authority to wear the hardware? It used to be the 2a, but they took all that stuff off a few years ago.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CFI_Ed

Quote from: SarDragon on March 16, 2010, 04:01:17 AM

Sign-offs in eServices confer the various designations (MO, MP, etc), but what is the authority to wear the hardware? It used to be the 2a, but they took all that stuff off a few years ago.

Approvals are also in eServices for the badges.
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

ßτε

Quote from: SarDragon on March 16, 2010, 04:01:17 AM

Go to OpsQual -> Emergency Services -> ES awards and request the appropriate award. It will then go up the chain for approval.

SarDragon

Thank you for the confirmation. That's what I thought, but wanted to verify.  :) 8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sarmed1

QuoteNone - its work the tasks and the SQTRS at home squadron (etc.) or go to NESA
Incorect. TXWG GSARSS basic and advanced are considered equivilent and authorized to award the respective badges upon school completion. (I have the authoriztion letter at home somewhere in non digital format)

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Eclipse

Quote from: sarmed1 on March 16, 2010, 01:58:20 PM

QuoteNone - its work the tasks and the SQTRS at home squadron (etc.) or go to NESA
Incorect. TXWG GSARSS basic and advanced are considered equivilent and authorized to award the respective badges upon school completion. (I have the authoriztion letter at home somewhere in non digital format)

mk

It may be recognized within the wing, but not nationally or it would be in 39-3.  NESA instructors have national eServices privileges and their own separate charter. (NHQ-007).

"That Others May Zoom"

sarmed1

The authorization letter came from National...I'll search for it and scan/upload it when I get home.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Eclipse

Quote from: sarmed1 on March 16, 2010, 02:21:39 PM
The authorization letter came from National...I'll search for it and scan/upload it when I get home.

mk

It would probably have needed to, since that would require a supplement to 60-x for the wing, however that doesn't mean its recognized
out of the wing. 

But whether that school is recognized outside of the Wing is a different story. 35-6 encourages wings and regions to run schools for this purpose but is typically vague on that point.  The only one spelled out specifically is NESA.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on March 16, 2010, 02:54:40 PM
Quote from: sarmed1 on March 16, 2010, 02:21:39 PM

mk

It would probably have needed to, since that would require a supplement to 60-x for the wing, however that doesn't mean its recognized
out of the wing. 

But whether that school is recognized outside of the Wing is a different story. 35-6 encourages wings and regions to run schools for this purpose but is typically vague on that point.  The only one spelled out specifically is NESA.

Yes....Eclipse.....35-6 spells it out specifically....NESA and any acitivity approved by NHQ/DO.....with like maybe a letter of authorisation!

RTFM!