New National Commander elected

Started by vento, August 18, 2011, 04:10:35 PM

Hill CAP

I can not speak for Brig Gen Carr as I have never met the gentleman,

However I had the honor of working under Col Vazquez when he was a Group Commander, Vice Commander and Wing Commander of Virginia Wing and I can say that there couldn't have been a better selection and he has my full support.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

JC004

Quote from: vento on August 19, 2011, 11:30:53 PM
If this was Facebook, I will not hesitate to click a big "Like" (thumbs up).
Best wishes to you Sir as well and thanks for bringing some fresh air into the CAP universe, albeit only for a short while.

I guess that I have to go back to my original plans since I was a cadet...taking over CAP and becoming its Supreme Commander.

Luckily I've had many supporters here on CAPTalk for my initiative at becoming Supreme Commander and NOW that the "Solutions for Civil Air Patrol" document exists, I have a manifesto for my evil plan!   >:D 

Now, since many on CAPTalk have said that they would vote for me, I have to figure out how to get the vote to be done by CAPTalk and we'll be in business (heh heh) - using the manifesto and opening the currently DEAD initiative that would have been coming next week under Col Weiss - the Civil Air Patrol Center for Innovation.

Майор Хаткевич

JC004, can't we just have a good ol' civil war? We elect a National CC here, and challenge those in charge as illegitimate? :P

JC004

I guess that I don't NEED to be Supreme Commander - I just mostly want my Center for Innovation.

I have always been encouraged by CAPTalk people to be the Supreme Commander, and people have liked my platforms that I've posted, so, I mean, if they're offering.   >:D

I'd probably do something evil, though, like only serve as a Colonel until I prove that things actually get done and have a real impact on the field.

Eclipse

Nothing says we can't innovate from the field.

So much of plans and programs is subjective or just left blank. That which fills the vacuum generally becomes the standard.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

I am considering what can be done if we could organize people to get things accomplished.

I have had bad experiences in the past of some things being shut down (like e-learning) because they were not THEIR stuff.

Having the inside view, I'd say a lot dies with the National Board's vote.  Not rhetoric.  Action.  Real, concrete, action that would be felt to the very newest, very lowest member.  DEAD.  This is what has me annoyed. 

The CAP Center for Innovation, as envisioned, would need resources and command support.  I don't see why it COULDN'T happen if they wanted to do it - it's not about individuals, politics, or the like.  It's about the mission and people.  That's it.

Here's an example that people can see (an easy one, part of a much larger initiative aimed at member resources).  The CAP version of this.  I'd need support to get it posted on the National website.  I would have expected this to have been implemented in 2 weeks with a full set of additional items not included in the Air Force items, which would have been helpful to making it easy for people (ESPECIALLY those without military experience) - stuff like videos, ribbon checker, etc.  -  http://www.afpc.af.mil/dress/index.asp 

Nonetheless, I am considering what could be accomplished.  There is a massive list of things that die with this and THEY SHOULDN'T DIE WITH THIS.  They really shouldn't.  We should be building an engine of creativity that puts resources in the field, makes it easier to volunteer, and gets things done.

I have no real opinion on Brig Gen Carr because I do not know him.  I don't care about that.  I don't want to see ACTION die.  That is all.

Майор Хаткевич

I don't think there is anything CAP Inc. can do to stop a non-profit, member for member web-portal of helpful things outside what they put out.

JC004

There absolutely is.  DMCA complaint, copyright & trademark violation complaints, and internal CAP stuff.  I have no evil intent (despite my having fun with "Supreme Commander" or whatever) and do not wish my resource-building to be negative, an attack site, anything like that.  I only want to HELP OUR MEMBERS and MAKE CAP THE BEST IT COULD BE.  Nonetheless, they COULD still make me miserable for doing something positive if they didn't like it.

SarDragon

Let's call it "intellectual property", instead of copyrights and trademarks, because CAP essentially has none of those.

They gain their power here:

Quote from: TITLE 36, US Code, Subtitle II, Part B, CHAPTER 403, Section 40306

§ 40306. Exclusive right to name, insignia, copyrights, emblems, badges, marks, and words

The corporation has the exclusive right to use the name "Civil Air Patrol" and all insignia, copyrights, emblems, badges, descriptive or designating marks, words, and phrases the corporation adopts. This section does not affect any vested rights.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

It's just semantics.  Same issue.

I do hundreds of hours of work and get shut down because it's not their stuff - even if it's great.  Again, it's not an attack or whatever - it's for the members.  But if it displeases them and doesn't have their blessing, it's destroyed and just a waste.

Copyright DOES apply because even if you don't file for it, you still own it when you make it (unless otherwise released into the public domain or covered BY LAW in the public domain).

Майор Хаткевич

In that case they could shut down CAPTalk as well. They haven't yet, not even when the conversation turns somewhat hostile towards the top leadership.

Besides, how well would it play out if NHQ shuts down a webportal that is HELPFUL to the membership at large?

Major Carrales

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 20, 2011, 05:49:21 PM
In that case they could shut down CAPTalk as well. They haven't yet, not even when the conversation turns somewhat hostile towards the top leadership.

Besides, how well would it play out if NHQ shuts down a webportal that is HELPFUL to the membership at large?

There is very little CAP signage on CAPTALK, if any save doe some signature lines by members, and what are posted here are mostly opinions and speculations.  Even the aircraft in the BANNER above is ambiguous.  In fact, there is an aircraft, former CAP, here in South Texas which has the CAP paint scheme and no CAP roundels or markings. 

Secondly, The HOCK SHOP was most helpful to CAP members and it is now followed the way of the dodo!  There were some intellectual propery issues there.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Quote from: vento on August 18, 2011, 04:10:35 PM
It is my pleasure to announce the next CAP National Commander elected this morning in Louisville, KY is Brig Gen Chuck Carr.  Gen Carr is the current CAP National Vice Commander, experienced CAP commander at the squadron, group and wing levels and a retired USAF senior non-commissioned officer.

Another CAP national commander that is totally unaccountable to CAP members.  Ho hum.  Hopefully no long-term damage will occur with this one and that he is reasonable good at picking our leaders for us. 

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 20, 2011, 05:57:55 PM
Secondly, The HOCK SHOP was most helpful to CAP members and it is now followed the way of the dodo!  There were some intellectual propery issues there.

The Hock shop was a for-profit business that sold inferior product. Not quite the same as a place where people can start change/improvement/help each other online.

JC004

There is a difference between CAPTalk and doing something like that in the use of the name, other intellectual property, and fair use under U.S. law.

Let's say I take one of the projects that is currently dead:  The Unit Commander's Handbook, the Guide to Starting a CAP Unit, or the guide and wing/group-level framework for repairing suffering squadrons.  I would need to use CAP intellectual property, quotes, old materials to update, seals, etc.  That is doing something CAPTalk isn't really.

It would look horrible.  But that doesn't mean the wouldn't do it.  It would suck because as I've hopefully made clear, it wouldn't be to attack CAP's leadership or make them look bad - it'd be to help the members.  Some priorities as Col Weiss's campaign (since the stuff comes from in, in addition to my own stuff): the mission and our people - the end.

As I said, I don't know this Gen Carr and I hope he is good.  He didn't publish a plan so I have no way of knowing what he wants to do and I can't look and say "hey, I have a project like that, it's half-done, and I can offer my services to the commander!"

JeffDG

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 20, 2011, 06:30:10 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on August 20, 2011, 05:57:55 PM

The Hock shop was a for-profit business that sold inferior product. Not quite the same as a place where people can start change/improvement/help each other online.
OK...NHQ works darned hard to kill IMU, which helps members all the time.

NIN

While I am not suggesting that the folks who run the site have any more connection to NHQ than anybody else does (to my knowledge, they do not), you can bet that since they're also CAP members, they would tend to put the kibosh on *really* stupid and counter productive stuff found here.  (discussion, disagreement, those are OK.  Outright character assassination, lies, rumor mongering about stuff that's outright BS, etc, thats something else).   

If someone from NHQ emailed Mike, Mike or Jerry and said "dudes, that thread about [insert inappropriate topic here] probably needs to go away," my guess is that the mods would make it go away or would look closely at it to mod it down.

If NHQ shut down CAP-Talk somehow (which I doubt they'd do), the discussion would likely move someplace like military.com's forums. 

Think about how much love is lost for CAP over there.  Do you think the moderators are "CAP positive" as the guys here are?  No.

And I think NHQ knows that.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

RiverAux

Quote from: NIN on August 20, 2011, 06:42:55 PM
If NHQ shut down CAP-Talk somehow (which I doubt they'd do), the discussion would likely move someplace like military.com's forums. 

Think about how much love is lost for CAP over there.  Do you think the moderators are "CAP positive" as the guys here are?  No.
I've never noticed any anti-CAP stuff over there.  But, then again they haven't had a new thread started on the CAP board since June.  Not a very active place.  And due to their severe limitations on posting web site links, it is almost not worth using. 

a2capt

Quote from: RiverAux on August 20, 2011, 06:05:03 PM
Quote from: vento on August 18, 2011, 04:10:35 PM
It is my pleasure to announce the next CAP National Commander elected this morning in Louisville, KY is Brig Gen Chuck Carr.  Gen Carr is the current CAP National Vice Commander, experienced CAP commander at the squadron, group and wing levels and a retired USAF senior non-commissioned officer.

Another CAP national commander that is totally unaccountable to CAP members.  Ho hum.  Hopefully no long-term damage will occur with this one and that he is reasonable good at picking our leaders for us.
Don't like 'em already.. I see..  Your first message still had a bit of the 'CAWG CC' in it, too. I was wondering which you were picking on.. ;)

RiverAux

Have no opinion of him yet.  I just don't expect much from any of our national leaders, just hope that they don't do anything stupid.
Had some problems with the quote function.