Awards not in 39-1 6-5

Started by Abn90, March 07, 2008, 12:36:40 AM

mikeylikey

Quote from: JThemann on March 08, 2008, 04:04:12 PM
I think that the best thing would CAP to have conformed to the Air Force standards for the location of Wing and Squadron patches for the BDU's, which could have let our guys with prior service wear their Army/Navy/whatever bling (because that's critically important to our operations in CAP.)

But since the Air Force is going over to the ABU, I say we get ride of all wing patches, the American flag patch, the ES patch, NCSA patches, everything except grade insignia, nametape, and service tape.

Agreed!  I have made that same comment multiple times.  Get rid of everything so that we mirror the AF uniform.  Especially since Wing Kings do not know how to NOT do whatever they want, even against specific instructions on how not to do something.  Reference Hawk Mountain Everything bling.  NHQ says you can wear the NCSA patch in a very specific spot, Wing Commanders say, "no, wear it here and add All this other junk to make you better than everyone else".  Not to make this about Hawk MTN, but that is one of the more easily recognizable stupid uniform issues we have going for our organization at the moment!
What's up monkeys?

arajca

But since the Air Force is going over to the ABU, I say we get ride of all wing patches, the American flag patch, the ES patch, NCSA patches, everything except grade insignia, nametape, and service tape.
No wings or badges? The AF wears those.

mikeylikey

^ He meant your Wing's Patch I assume.....
What's up monkeys?

arajca

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 08, 2008, 06:52:48 PM
I don't think so -

jb512

I agree.  If you want to wear a bunch of colorful patches, the boy scouts have plenty.  Hopefully enough of us spoke out against the cartoon blue and we should stick to the nametape, cap tape, rank insignia, and wings/badges above the cap tape.

mikeylikey

Quote from: arajca on March 08, 2008, 07:09:15 PM
I don't think so -

Umm Wing Patch is not the same as aviation badge, or aeronautical badge.  I think he would have said "Wings" if he meant the actual pilot wing patch.  Then again, I don't give a [darn]......
What's up monkeys?

JayT

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 08, 2008, 10:39:04 PM
Quote from: arajca on March 08, 2008, 07:09:15 PM
I don't think so -

Umm Wing Patch is not the same as aviation badge, or aeronautical badge.  I think he would have said "Wings" if he meant the actual pilot wing patch.  Then again, I don't give a [darn]......

Opps, made a post in between slinging wire

No, I'm all for wings and other badges. Heck, I'm even all for CIB/CAB/CMB, SEAL Tridents, Naval Jump Wings, Scuba badges, nuclear engineering badge, submarine warfare badge, etc etc.

As long as we can get a supplier that makes them all the same color. My BDU shirt has a slightly different ultramarine blue for everything.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

afgeo4

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 08, 2008, 06:02:25 AM
^ Got it, but the Army institute of heraldry says the parachutist badge is wholly an Army device.  I have no problem sharing it with the AF, as many AF peeps were some of the founders of the badge back in old WW2. 

I am just puzzled why things like the ranger tab and other "Army" badges are not allowed on the AF uniform.  I always thought the AF should bring back SSI for individuals assigned to combat.  I mean they are reinventing a uniform with the reasoning being "historical this and that", well the badges and patches are just as historical as the cut of the jacket, right?!?!
You used to be able to with BDUs. I knew a Security Police SSgt who was prior Army and wore the tab. I also know a combat weatherman who was attached to a Ranger detachment and he wore his as well.

Army unit patches used to be authorized for wear by Air Force personnel attached to Army units as well (TACP mostly), but with the ABU no more. It is strictly a USAF uniform now.
GEORGE LURYE

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: tkelley004 on March 08, 2008, 03:35:53 AM
Quote from: SJFedor on March 07, 2008, 04:09:13 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on March 07, 2008, 01:27:42 AM
39-1 needs work.  The Army Combat Infantry Badge and Combat Medical Badge are both authorized, but the Combat Action Badge is not listed.

Why don't you add this under the thread worked elsewhere on this board about ambiguities in 39-1?

CAB is a recent invention of the Army. I believe it just came to being in the past year or two. 39-1 needs revision every 6 months, if not from our changes, from the other services' changes.

I would not count on seeing the CAB authorized on the Air Force uniform. Active Duty Air Force folks, serving with the Army have been awarded them by the Army and told "Sorry, can't wear it, not authorized on the Air Force uniform....."

I have heard that as it applied to AIR FORCE people who were awarded it while serving in Army commands.  I have never heard of it being said to former Army people who have joined the Air Force after earning the award as a soldier.

Thre Air Force recently authorized a Combat Action Medal which recognizes the same conduct as the CAB
Another former CAP officer

Flying Pig

I think wearing military badges on our CAP uniforms are very important.  I think it gives us a connection to the military when members see us/you with them.  I don't personally have any military badges. I have worn my ribbons, (CAP and USMC) in blues uniform before and actually had a military member ask about them.  He started off by saying, "Aren't a few of those Marine Ribbons?" but really wanted to know what the others were.  He had no idea someone could be in the military and CAP at the same time.  I think it looks pretty sharp when you see a CAP member with a military specialty badge.