Gold Star/Next of Kin Lapel Buttons

Started by Hawk200, June 15, 2021, 05:30:58 AM

Hawk200

Gold Star Lapel Button for Airmen

Not suggested as "more bling," just a common practice in a few branches at present; one with significant meaning.

How long does anyone think it would take to get approved? The page from 2903 could probably be cut and pasted intact into a CAP pub (or ICL).

No, I don't have one, so this is not self serving.

However, to avoid a free-for-all, anyone think it would be appropriate to add documentation to an individual's personnel folder?

Of course, some education probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

PHall

Probably need to run this by the Air Force to make sure they have no problems with CAP wearing this.
No saying there will be but it's always a good idea to check first.

Stonewall

I have a MSgt in my AF squadron who has the Gold Star lapel insignia and he wears it on his service dress, even in his official biography photo.

His brother was KIA in Iraq.
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

I'll be back in CAP in about a month, hopefully.

I'm going to submit this.

What are the thoughts on requiring some kind of documentation in personnel folder for those wearing the button(s)?

PHall

Maybe take a read through the AFI and see what the AF does for documentation.

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on June 16, 2021, 03:26:38 AMMaybe take a read through the AFI and see what the AF does for documentation.

All it really says is "Airmen issued a gold star lapel button, as described in the Code of Federal Regulation, Title 32, Chapter V, Section 578.63 are authorized to wear the button on all Air Force dress uniform coats, i.e. formal, semi-formal mess and service dress."

I'm pretty much of the mind that if they meet the criteria specified for it's issue to be permitted it's wear.

I don't want to nitpick on things, but I don't really want people just thinking they can just throw one on because they think it looks cool. I think documentation would be wise.

PHall

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 16, 2021, 04:43:37 AM
Quote from: PHall on June 16, 2021, 03:26:38 AMMaybe take a read through the AFI and see what the AF does for documentation.

All it really says is "Airmen issued a gold star lapel button, as described in the Code of Federal Regulation, Title 32, Chapter V, Section 578.63 are authorized to wear the button on all Air Force dress uniform coats, i.e. formal, semi-formal mess and service dress."

I'm pretty much of the mind that if they meet the criteria specified for it's issue to be permitted it's wear.

I don't want to nitpick on things, but I don't really want people just thinking they can just throw one on because they think it looks cool. I think documentation would be wise.

Well then, what does CFR Title 32, Chap V, Sect 578.63 say? And we'll still need to get AF approval to wear it on the AF style uniforms.

baronet68

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 16, 2021, 03:17:28 AMWhat are the thoughts on requiring some kind of documentation in personnel folder for those wearing the button(s)?

My thoughts... I would not bother with CAP requiring documentation. 

If some demented troll really wants to drag themselves down this morbid path of Munchausen-related mental illness, let them.  People in CAP tend to be pretty nosey and I'd expect that someone falsely purporting their GS/NOK status will be discovered (and exposed) in due time.

Besides, what kind of "documentation" would be considered acceptable?  Neither a DD-214 nor a death certificate will indicate next of kin beyond parents and while obituaries sometimes name surviving family, they just as often do not.  Do those who are "issued" such a GS or NOK lapel button get a special identifying card?  I've been blessed thus far to not be eligible for either button so I don't know the 'inside rules'.

Here's what Ma Blue says and I'd bet we can nearly copy this word-for-word:

Quote from: AFI 36-2903
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Shuman 14

Quote from: baronet68 on June 16, 2021, 06:34:47 AMMy thoughts... I would not bother with CAP requiring documentation. 

If some demented troll really wants to drag themselves down this morbid path of Munchausen-related mental illness, let them.  People in CAP tend to be pretty nosey and I'd expect that someone falsely purporting their GS/NOK status will be discovered (and exposed) in due time.

Besides, what kind of "documentation" would be considered acceptable?  Neither a DD-214 nor a death certificate will indicate next of kin beyond parents and while obituaries sometimes name surviving family, they just as often do not.  Do those who are "issued" such a GS or NOK lapel button get a special identifying card?  I've been blessed thus far to not be eligible for either button so I don't know the 'inside rules'.

Here's what Ma Blue says and I'd bet we can nearly copy this word-for-word:

Quote from: AFI 36-2903

Question, is the USAF Retired Pin authorized for wear on the CAP Uniform as discussed in the AFI above?
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

baronet68

Quote from: shuman14 on June 16, 2021, 05:12:32 PMQuestion, is the USAF Retired Pin authorized for wear on the CAP Uniform as discussed in the AFI above?

It's not mentioned in the current CAPR 39-1... but if we do GS/NOK then we could also authorize the retiree and service lapel pins for dress uniforms.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Fubar

At what point to we just let the former/current military folks just wear their old uniforms?

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on June 17, 2021, 02:58:07 AMAt what point to we just let the former/current military folks just wear their old uniforms?

Or...

Have a CAP uniform for CAP members?

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on June 16, 2021, 05:58:59 AMWell then, what does CFR Title 32, Chap V, Sect 578.63 say?

For Gold Star : " One Gold Star Lapel Button will be furnished without cost to the widow or widower, to each of the parents, each child, stepchild, child through adoption, brother, half brother, sister, and half sister of a member of the Armed Forces who lost his or her life while in the active military service during the periods indicated above. The term "widow or widower" includes those who have since remarried, and the term "parents" includes mother, father, stepmother, stepfather, mother through adoption, father through adoption, and foster parents who stood in loco parentis. "

For Next of Kin: "One lapel button will be furnished without cost to the widow or widower, to each of the parents, each child, stepchild, child through adoption, brother, half brother, sister, and half sister of a member of the Armed Forces who lost his or her life while on active duty. The term widow or widower includes those who have since remarried, and the term parents includes mother, father, stepmother, stepfather, mother through adoption, father through adoption, and foster parents who stood in place of a parent."

Quote from: PHall on June 16, 2021, 05:58:59 AMAnd we'll still need to get AF approval to wear it on the AF style uniforms.

That's a given, but I imagine it won't take long(relatively.)

The Air Force permits it on theirs, reference it, request permission to wear on ours.

Could take a short time or a long one. All depends on what kind of priority it is considered.

Quote from: baronet68 on June 16, 2021, 06:34:47 AMBesides, what kind of "documentation" would be considered acceptable?

Point taken.

Quote from: shuman14 on June 16, 2021, 05:12:32 PMQuestion, is the USAF Retired Pin authorized for wear on the CAP Uniform as discussed in the AFI above?

OK, maybe not exactly word for word. We could use the pictures though.

Shuman 14

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 17, 2021, 04:21:46 AM
Quote from: baronet68 on June 16, 2021, 06:34:47 AMBesides, what kind of "documentation" would be considered acceptable?

Point taken.

I don't know anyone who has gotten a GS or NoK Lapel Pin, but I do know lots of people that received Flags for the Funeral of a Veteran.

Generally a form letter "On behalf of the President and a grateful Nation" accompanies these flags. I "assume" a similar letter would accompany the lapel Pins. I would think that would cover any documentation needs.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present