Organizing Unit "insignia drawer"

Started by audiododd, June 12, 2021, 07:26:46 PM

audiododd

Does anyone have a good way that they've organized their unit's "bench stock" of insignia/decorations/etc.?  We have several of the organizers you see for screws/small items, but between cadet rank, cadet & senior decorations, and various badges, it's gotten extremely messy -- not to mention the senior rank epaulet sleeves that are so bulky.   I'm looking to organize our stock.  If anyone is willing to share pictures of how they've organized those at their units, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

NIN

I've seen it so many different ways it boggles the mind.

My only recommendation, well, two really:

1) Don't stock a lot of senior stuff. Let seniors get their own.
2) Don't get those two-sided containers that you have to flip over.  Because the thing you want is always on the other side and flipping that stuff over like that beats the daylights out of the insignia, esp ribbons and cadet grade.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

baronet68

In addition to the regular small-parts bins, we have a couple of these $10 bins from Harbor Freight Tools that have a few larger drawers for bulkier (or more numerous) items.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-drawer-storage-organizer-99896.html
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

N6RVT

Quote from: NIN on June 12, 2021, 09:19:28 PMI've seen it so many different ways it boggles the mind.

My only recommendation, well, two really:

1) Don't stock a lot of senior stuff. Let seniors get their own.

Don't BUY Senior stuff.  Lots of us have obsolete insignia we no longer need that another person would just have to buy.  Grade insignia, lower ratings of badges & specialty tracks.

We had one young senior member absolutely overjoyed to get my basic observer wings, which were sterling silver.

Capt Thompson

We use a fairly large tackle box, it has 3 large divided containers that pull out, two smaller ones, and then a large open area in the top. I have room for all of the insignia, ribbons etc that we normally use, plus empty spaces should we need to order something else in the future. The top area is large and I can stash Wing patches, epaulettes, etc that don't fit in the dividers. It's easy to grab the entire box and say bring it to a parade or other event in case someone loses a ribbon or forgets something at home. After a large promotion ceremony I will take the box home and do a full inventory, which we keep on a Google Sheet in our Squadron shared drive, and then place a Vanguard order for anything that's running low.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

TheSkyHornet

We use a tackle box, organized by "bucket" for each category.

I disagree with the "let seniors get their own stuff" mentality. Our squadron purchases senior items. Often times, it comes out of their boss' pocket.

For me, if one of my Cadet Programs staff earned a CP Rating, I was happy to provide it. The same for any of my direct reports earning a promotion.

baronet68

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 15, 2021, 02:09:51 AMWe use a tackle box, organized by "bucket" for each category.

I disagree with the "let seniors get their own stuff" mentality. Our squadron purchases senior items. Often times, it comes out of their boss' pocket.

For me, if one of my Cadet Programs staff earned a CP Rating, I was happy to provide it. The same for any of my direct reports earning a promotion.

It should not come out of the boss' pocket.  If the unit is going to provide insignia, it should be paid for from unit funds.  If the unit doesn't have any funds, then it's time to do some fundraising. 

While commanders are almost always the type of person who will reach into their own pocket and pull out some cash when needed, they really shouldn't.  Commanders are already donating about 3-5 times as many hours as most members in their unit.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Eclipse

Quote from: baronet68 on June 15, 2021, 04:27:38 AMIt should not come out of the boss' pocket.

Agreed - under no circumstances should members be paying out of pocket for anything
other then their own needs.

The result is generally an inappropriate level of ownership that generally comes
out loudly when the member(s) don't get their way about something.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: baronet68 on June 15, 2021, 04:27:38 AM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 15, 2021, 02:09:51 AMWe use a tackle box, organized by "bucket" for each category.

It should not come out of the boss' pocket.  If the unit is going to provide insignia, it should be paid for from unit funds.  If the unit doesn't have any funds, then it's time to do some fundraising. 

While commanders are almost always the type of person who will reach into their own pocket and pull out some cash when needed, they really shouldn't.  Commanders are already donating about 3-5 times as many hours as most members in their unit.

I'm referring to it being a personal matter, not a dictate.

It's not uncommon for someone to obtain an item on their own dime because of the personal attachment they have to the person receiving it or situation surrounding it. The supplies are there. The funds are there.

No...there's no issue of "ownership" for "not getting their way." Entirely disagree with that thought process.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 16, 2021, 03:51:53 PMNo...there's no issue of "ownership" for "not getting their way." Entirely disagree with that thought process.

Everyone is happy until someone loses an eye.

Consider the fact that you are setting a precedent for the next guy as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on June 16, 2021, 04:07:56 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 16, 2021, 03:51:53 PMNo...there's no issue of "ownership" for "not getting their way." Entirely disagree with that thought process.

Everyone is happy until someone loses an eye.

Consider the fact that you are setting a precedent for the next guy as well.

I think this got a little dramatic for a topic about insignia storage.