Main Menu

Black fleece

Started by abdsp51, April 07, 2015, 12:21:18 PM

abdsp51

Sapper168

That looks just like mine.  Except I didn't use your nametape, I used mine.   ;)
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Angus

Where's a good place to get the black fleece from?  I'm just starting to phase back into active and haven't looked for awhile.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

JC004

Try finding a surplus one of the black ECWCS.  They're out there.  I've seen them in limited stock, and on eBay.  You don't HAVE to use the military one, but if you're going to purchase one, that may be the way to go.

If you need someone to make a grade square and tapes with industrial strength Velcro, send me a message.  I use backing material to made the grade square firm with crisp, exact lines and strong thread. 

abdsp51

I got mine from Galaxy Army Navy store online. 

JC004

Is that the Chinese-made Rothco?  Let us know how it stands up to a few washings and wear.  Some people have asked me which to get, to go with the insignia I've been sewing.  I've heard mixed feelings about them.

abdsp51

So far so good wear wise.  Haven't washed it yet.  It's similar to my Sage one I wear for the AF.

Slim

Quote from: JC004 on May 02, 2015, 01:32:37 PM
Is that the Chinese-made Rothco?  Let us know how it stands up to a few washings and wear.  Some people have asked me which to get, to go with the insignia I've been sewing.  I've heard mixed feelings about them.

I bought the Rothco version last fall.  I figured as much as I wear it, I'd get my $30 worth out of it.  It's actually held up very well, after 4-5 washings; it's not falling apart or anything like that.  It spent most of the winter on a hanger with my BDUs (I travel to/from anything I can in street clothes), I carry it to the meeting, hang it on the wall in my cubicle for the duration of the meeting, put it back on the hanger, hang it in my truck for the ride home, then back in my closet until the next week unless washing is necessary.  I wore it last December in 30-40 degree temps for the better part of a day, over a BDU shirt and long sleeve t-shirt, and never got cold.

Slim

LSThiker

Quote from: JC004 on May 02, 2015, 01:32:37 PM

Not too bad considering it is $30.  It will start to shed, but after a few washes, it seems to stop.  Just wash the jacket separate otherwise you will litter your other clothes.  I wore it with a golf shirt on a few days of <30ºF days and I was warm.  If you put that with BBDUs, it would be even warmer.  However, take into consideration that I am a warm sleeper and at times never sleep with a blanket during the winter with the house set at 68ºF. 

It feels thinner than my foliage green jacket.  That is, if I were pull just right, I would probably tear it.  I have not tried it out in the field so I do not know about the durability.  However, take into consideration that those types of jackets were not designed to be a field jacket.  They were meant to complement the ECWCS. 

It would be nice if we could get approval for the black fleece with the Woodland BDUs, though.  I would say that they are most definitely distinctive in appearance, especially considering the blue tapes and rank. 

Angus

I saw one on the Rothco website, they say it's black the image is coming off more charcoal.  I've attached a link has anyone ordered this one and if so how is it? 
http://www.rothco.com/product-details/rothco-gen-iii-level-3-ecwcs-fleece-jacket
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

vorteks

Quote from: Slim on May 05, 2015, 06:06:43 AM
I wore it last December in 30-40 degree temps for the better part of a day, over a BDU shirt and long sleeve t-shirt, and never got cold.

That is not authorized, even if it should be.

LSThiker

Quote from: veritec on May 05, 2015, 01:49:42 PM
I wore it last December in 30-40 degree temps for the better part of a day, over a BDU shirt and long sleeve t-shirt, and never got cold.

It is if they were corporate BDUs and not the AF-style BDUs

vorteks

Quote from: LSThiker on May 05, 2015, 02:04:03 PM

True. But we usually refer to those as BBDUs here.

JC004

My fleece jackets tend to get a lot of abuse.  They end up smashed into a bag, laying on a rock, acting as a pillow, or going up a mountain with me.  I see something that needs climbing on, and go for it:

I stopped buying any cheap brands because they didn't hold up.  Right now, I have a North Face fleece (I removed the logos) for my CAP fleece, but I was thinking about maybe getting the military black one (surplus), if it'll hold up.

Slim

Quote from: LSThiker on May 05, 2015, 02:04:03 PM

Fact!

I generally assume that since everyone knows that wearing a black fleece with AF style BDUs is against regulations, that they would carry the assumption that I was in fact wearing a corporate uniform.

But thanks for questioning my integrity... ::)

Slim

Slim

Quote from: Member Who on May 05, 2015, 01:38:53 PM
I saw one on the Rothco website, they say it's black the image is coming off more charcoal.  I've attached a link has anyone ordered this one and if so how is it? 
http://www.rothco.com/product-details/rothco-gen-iii-level-3-ecwcs-fleece-jacket

That's the right one, the lighting is playing tricks with the color.

Slim

vorteks

Quote from: Slim on May 07, 2015, 06:30:58 AM
But thanks for questioning my integrity... ::)

That isn't what I was doing.

Quote from: Slim on May 07, 2015, 06:30:58 AM
I generally assume that since everyone knows that wearing a black fleece with AF style BDUs is against regulations, that they would carry the assumption that I was in fact wearing a corporate uniform.

https://youtu.be/svkgOsr7pUc