Main Menu

Broken ribbon?

Started by inactive123, May 05, 2013, 04:28:40 PM

inactive123

If a ribbon's ribbon part falls off the metal part, could it be fixed. How?
I'm just wondering if I can fix one of my ribbons or if its time to get a new one.
Thanks
C/MSgt

Private Investigator

I am not sure what you mean but those ribbons eventually do need replacement.

vento

While not impossible to fix, getting a new will usually yield better results.

jimmydeanno

There are three parts to a ribbon.

The "U" shaped metal piece.

The fabric.

The rectangle metal piece.

If it falls apart, wrap the cloth back around the "U" shaped piece, and press the rectangle piece into the back of it, making sure that the raw ends of the fabric are covered.  Gently squeeze the "U" shaped piece's tabs to make sure the rectangle piece doesn't fall out again.  ->U<-

Sometimes, the fabric gets frayed or something else and it's time to replace it. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MSG Mac

Putting the ribbon together is  too much of a pain in the lower extremities. Buy a new one.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

flyboy53

The answer is yes. Follow the instructions from jimmydeanno.

Make sure your hands are clean when you do it. Otherwise, you may want to reverse the ribbon by using the opposite side. One other thing that may help is to iron the ribbon flat before you remount it. When you have the ribbon bar reassembled, use your fingers to press the ends of the "U" together so that it fits tightly on the ribbon bar.

Lets face it, sometimes its easier to fix what you have instead of ordering new -- especially if you are under a time crunch or don't have the funds necessary to get a new one -- and fixing it is you're best option -- at least that's what we leaned to do in the Air Force (of my era). Sometimes the BX didn't have the ribbon and you had to wait for the order to come.

Eclipse

This is why you should always order at least two of every ribbon you have earned.

"That Others May Zoom"