Marksmanship Badges

Started by HGjunkie, July 01, 2012, 03:19:47 AM

HGjunkie

So I was browsing facebook and I saw this little tidbit:

Question to the National Commander:
Sir, I was wondering. How come the marksmanship award is no longer available?

Response:
Dear Cadet [redacted],

I’m not sure I understand your question. Cadets are eligible to earn a NRA marksmanship badge for wear on their CAP “blues” uniform. Over the years, the NRA has changed the name of their youth marksmanship programs and the design of the badge, but the basic principle of your being able to earn and wear the latest NRA badge holds true. Talk with your squadron commander to suggest that your unit check out marksmanship opportunities.

So, since the Nat/CC's position on the NRA badge is that cadets are allowed to wear the latest badges, does that make it acceptable considering the outdated verbage in 39-1?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

As the regulations are sitting today, both the current badge and the current program are different then what is approved by CAP.

The arguments against the wear of the badges are salient, but frankly the entire situation is tiresome, and affects so small a number
of cadets as to be irrelevant.

My advice, if it affects you personally, have your unit CC ask your wing CC and do whatever he says to do, with the caveat that a new unit CC
or wing CC might have a different opinion down the road.

If it doesn't affect you personally, then FIMO.

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

This is another one of those 'ranger tab' or 'blue beret' things. Until a new uniform reg comes out or a new ICL is issued that says yes/no to the NRA badge, it's going to be argued over...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NCRblues on July 01, 2012, 03:56:36 AM
This is another one of those 'ranger tab' or 'blue beret' things. Until a new uniform reg comes out or a new ICL is issued that says yes/no to the NRA badge, it's going to be argued over...

^+1.

Even National Commanders have been known to make proclamations that aren't legitimate. Of course I'm not going to argue the point with a two star, but still.