Main Menu

Shining Boots

Started by abdsp51, March 24, 2012, 07:15:09 PM

abdsp51

Bear in mind this is all a matter of opinion.  Depending on the boot style what is your opinion of folks just polishing the toe and heel of a boot especially those of an all leather design. 

SarDragon

Depends on your definition of shining. For my olde boots, I grab the polish kit, apply a layer of polish all over the boot, brush, buff, and done. The toes and sides look a little shinier because of their rigidity, but I don't spend any extra time or effort on those parts.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

LOL.  Ok shining make ones footwear presentable from the set standard to exceeding the standard.

davidsinn

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 24, 2012, 07:25:33 PM
LOL.  Ok shining make ones footwear presentable from the set standard to exceeding the standard.

Boots are not supposed to be "shined," they are supposed to be polished. The purpose of the polish is to but moisture into the leather and protect it. "Shining" boots, puts way too much polish on them and prevents subsequent treatments from working.

To answer the OP; only working the toe and heel doesn't do anything to protect the rest of the boot.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

But, what is the standard? The one I see in CAPM 39-1 is pretty vague. I think my boots exceed the standard, but aren't prize winners by any stretch of the imagination. They are black, and shiny. What more do I need? I have a really good mirror for when I shave, so they don't need to have a mirror finish.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Sapper168

The shined versus polished debate is stupid and a pile of horsedroppings.  There is no difference between polished and shined boots.  It is the same thing. Shined boots are the outcome of polishing them.  I think alot of people are using the term shine in reference to what is commonly called a 'spit shine' which is nothing more than an extreme high gloss shine.  Sometimes refered to as a parade shine, it is usually applyed to the toes and heels of an already shined/polished boot.

To make it simple in terminology, a polished boot is shined and a shined boot is polished....

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

manfredvonrichthofen

The entire boot needs to be polished, but the toes and heels can be brought to a gloss, bu the entire boot should not be brought to a high gloss. Making the areas that flex have a high gloss can be bad for the boot as it can cause cracking and flaking. When you make the creases shiny it flakes badly and that is a sign that the boot will deteriorate faster, or at least that is what I think happened to one pair of my boots.

Making the toe and heel glossy I don't think will make the boot less water proof, in fact I have seen the effect of water just sliding off the toe and heel like a car.

But whether or not to make your toes glossy is up to the wearer. Personally though I don't think tactical styled boots look right with a high gloss shine. Do what you want so long as you at least meet the standard. Standards are the minimum, and I'd you are ok with the standard, then you will only be that good, but of you want to be the best, you have to be better than the standard.

More flare is better.

Private Investigator

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 24, 2012, 07:15:09 PM... what is your opinion of folks just polishing the toe and heel of a boot especially those of an all leather design.

SLACKER!

AngelWings

I polish just the toe and heel because the body does not accept a gloss shine like the toe and heel does. I've heard a lot of people say they like the look of the toe and heel shine because it makes the boot look cleaner.

abdsp51

Way back when I would have had 341s pulled for just the toe and heel shined.

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 26, 2012, 01:02:03 AM
Way back when I would have had 341s pulled for just the toe and heel shined.

You were also wearing boots that could be shined too! >:D

abdsp51

Which once I got to my first assignment they became my field boots. 

jimmydeanno

I only shine the heel and toe because they are the only sections that can be shined.  The remaining portions are canvas.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on March 24, 2012, 08:34:35 PM
The shined versus polished debate is stupid and a pile of horsedroppings.  There is no difference between polished and shined boots.  It is the same thing. Shined boots are the outcome of polishing them.  I think alot of people are using the term shine in reference to what is commonly called a 'spit shine' which is nothing more than an extreme high gloss shine.  Sometimes refered to as a parade shine, it is usually applyed to the toes and heels of an already shined/polished boot.

To make it simple in terminology, a polished boot is shined and a shined boot is polished....
Well I think you hit the nail on the head hear.

The polished vs shine debate is actually a debate about how much emphasis some squadrons/wings put on to the IMAGE of the uniform.  Where boots just don't have to be black and shiney.....but really really really shiney.  New cadets are not told the lower end of the acceptable standard....so they spend hours and hours spit shining their boots and putting their insignia on with laser micrometers and using 2 cans of starch on their BDU's because they were TOLD that that was the standard......and not that it was way above and beyond the standard.

To all cadet leaders and leaders of cadets.....let's break the uniform equals leadership paradymne and focus on real leadership.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

I have heard and. Even part of this discussion at my own squadron. There is a standard, and if you are ok wih only doing the standard, then ok, but if you want to be he example, then all the better.

ol'fido

I DON'T shine or polish my boots.

I take them to the inmate working at the institution laundry and say "Shine these." End of report.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

AngelWings

As long has it is shined, I call it good. For boots that won't be in the field, I accept any way to get them shined, as long has it looks natural (like a well done job with leather luster).

lordmonar

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 26, 2012, 10:45:14 PM
I have heard and. Even part of this discussion at my own squadron. There is a standard, and if you are ok wih only doing the standard, then ok, but if you want to be he example, then all the better.
Ah......but here is the important part.  As a leader of cadets.....the guy who's opinion that a perspecitive cadet leader is supposed to be getting the good side of......don't really care about boots and uniforms.

Yes it does reflect.....but maybe about 10% of the whole equation.  If you are not studying for your tests, getting ready for your PT test and doing the assignments and tasks that are needed for your leadership position......having a razor sharp crease in your shirt, or having your insignia correct within a +/- .002" tolerance, or your boots with a mirrior shine......you are just wasteing your time.

If you got all that 100%....then your uniform will put you over the top.....but I see too many cadets focusing just on the uniform and wonder why the guy with just a "good enough" uniform is getting the promotion/position.

Bottom line is that your leadership ability, maturity and attention to detail are more important then a spit shined shoe.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

I completely agree. If your studies are slipping I will most definitely suggest taking the time from your uniform, hand it up and buff your boots real quick, and focus on your work. But if all is good, and you are progressing, good for you, let's see you pick up your appearance a bit.