Not-so-AF-blue-blues-shirt...

Started by Abby.L, February 05, 2012, 01:06:14 AM

Abby.L

So,
My blues shirt is, well, not so blue anymore. Would there be anything to fix this? I've tried to convince my female parental unit to take it to the cleaners, and she says that it wouldn't help. Is there anything I can do at home? Or do the cleaners really work? Danke!  8)
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

RogueLeader

I believe its toast.  Man up and get a new one.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

USAF shirts tend to go a sickly greenish after a few years of wear, especially if they aren't laundered correctly.

Once it gets that way there's no going back.

Same goes for white shirts - Hint:  Ring around the collar is not a sign of pride!

"That Others May Zoom"

ThatOneGuy

You can take it to the cleaners, but if it is a truly greenish color, I don't even think the cleaners can fix that, or at least make it look like it should (in comparison to the rest of the room's blues shirts). I've had something like this happen to me in the past and it looked better after a couple dry cleanings, it never looked as good as it should have (as in there was still stains ever so slightly visible.) So I'd have to agree and just get a new one.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Once they're done, they're done.

I've never liked the shade of blue on the current issue...it's more whitish than blue, which I think contributes to what Eclipse said about going "sickly greenish."

I like the RAF's better:

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Abby.L

It's not a green color, it's more of a greyish-blue. I've only had it since... May? But it's my favorite shirt. As compared with my other shirt(This one's too tight in the collar), the shirt is pretty off-blue. It only went through the cleaners when I first got it, and it's been in the laundry pile with the rest of my clothes ever since.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Extremepredjudice

Washing it with everything else isn't a good idea.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Abby.L

For me, it was the only option I've had. But lesson learned. So should I just ditch the shirt and pay for a new one? How much would they be anyway?  :angel:
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

MSG Mac

Buy the new shirt. If you go to the MCSS (Base Uniform shop) there are two versions Air Force issue and a poly/wool blend. Pay the extra money and get the poly/wool blend. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Abby.L

I've heard that they are pretty amazing. My friend has one. It felt amazing...
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

MIKE

Quote from: Levilockling on February 05, 2012, 01:39:21 AM
For me, it was the only option I've had. But lesson learned. So should I just ditch the shirt and pay for a new one? How much would they be anyway?  :angel:

Around $13.44 for a short sleeved DSCP issue type. $17.41 for the long sleeve.  That's the USCG UDC price.  AAFES may be slightly cheaper.

Isn't there supposed to be a new shirt that is more fitted... and I thought the poly-wool stuff was not available anymore.  I have a long-sleeved one I picked up at Hanscom way back, but I don't think I want that in short sleeved for trops.
Mike Johnston

ol'fido

Quote from: CyBorg on February 05, 2012, 01:25:20 AM
Once they're done, they're done.

I've never liked the shade of blue on the current issue...it's more whitish than blue, which I think contributes to what Eclipse said about going "sickly greenish."

I like the RAF's better:

I like the stable belt.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

titanII

Quote from: ol'fido on February 05, 2012, 03:05:08 AMI like the stable belt.
I don't know if you were kidding, Sir, but I do actually like the belt. I like how it's a different color from the pants. Looks good to me. Although I do also think that the current AF Blues belt looks pretty spiffy.
No longer active on CAP talk

ol'fido

I wasn't kidding about the stable belt. That stable belt is particular to the RAF. Different regiments and branches of the UK armed forces have distinctive stable belts just as they have distinctive regimental ties and cap badges. The only other one that I can recall off the top of my head is the SAS which wears a powder or sky blue stable belt.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

The CyBorg is destroyed

The RAF stable belt has the same colours as the fin flash on RAF aircraft.

I'm not sure if they still do, but the RAAF used to have a similar flash on their "slouch" hats (their aircraft carry the same fin flash as the RAF).

But on topic...the colour of the RAF shirt is actually called "Wedgewood Blue" and is quite a bit "bluer" than the USAF.  The USAF shirt can look white in some settings.

I would be very much in favour of having a shirt of this colour to replace the white shirt on the G/W...it would add a bit of colour and the ultra-fanatic grey partisans could keep their dreary monochromatic trousers.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Pylon

On actual topic, if your uniform is un-serviceable (and that includes being worn or washed to the point of not being its original color) it's time to replace it.  You have to replace it.

The shirts are available from AAFES.  You can call them to place an order.  And yes, the standard Poly/Cotton blends (the cheaper and most common version) as well as the more expensive and higher-quality Poly/Wool blends are both still sold and available.

Men's Poly/Cotton:
Long Sleeve - Item M202F - $16.90
Short Sleeve - Item M202E - $13.05

Men's Poly/Wool
Long Sleeve - Item M202H - $42.95
Short Sleeve - Item M202G - $39.95

If you need the women's item numbers and prices, let me know (there's a lot more options, since all of the above also come in tuck-in and overblouse styles).  You can call AAFES toll free at 1-800-527-2345, tell them you are a CAP member, and they can place a phone order for you.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Short Field

Send it to the cleaners and have them use "medium" starch.  You might be very surprised. 

BITD, I bought five new shirts to replace five old ones when I reported to ACSC (standard one week's worth of shirts).   The old shirts were at least six years old.  I also decided while I was at school to not wash and iron my shirts myself but send them to the cleaners.  I included the old shirts with the new ones when I sent them to the cleaners so I wouldn't feel bad about giving Goodwill dirty shirts.   When I picked the shirts up from the cleaners, I had to look at the labels to tell the new shirts from the old shirts.  You could not tell the difference from just looking at the shirts!  The labels of the old shirts were faded and hard to read compared to the new shirts but from the outside they looked the same. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

The CyBorg is destroyed

With the exception of BDU's/BBDU's/blue jumpsuit, I have always taken my uniforms to be dry-cleaned and pressed.

You might be surprised at the number of places who give people in uniform - ANY uniform (Police, EMT, Fire, Guard, Reserve, CAP) - an automatic, unasked-for discount.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RogueLeader

Quote from: CyBorg on February 05, 2012, 08:04:06 PM
With the exception of BDU's/BBDU's/blue jumpsuit, I have always taken my uniforms to be dry-cleaned and pressed.

You might be surprised at the number of places who give people in uniform - ANY uniform (Police, EMT, Fire, Guard, Reserve, CAP) - an automatic, unasked-for discount.

Better watch it RM will be all over that.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: RogueLeader on February 06, 2012, 05:07:29 PM
Better watch it RM will be all over that.

He'll just have to be that way, then, won't he?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011