Service Cap for Color Guard?

Started by Abby.L, November 02, 2011, 02:19:05 AM

lordmonar

Quote from: Hawk200 on November 14, 2011, 05:56:06 AM
Quote from: Levilockling on November 14, 2011, 03:22:04 AM
But of course. Would you want a color guard wearing the simplest of all uniforms? I know I wouldn't, I would want the audience to think that we represent more than that, and that we take the time to get that done.
What do you think you represent "more" of? You represent Civil Air Patrol, and being different doesn't. You will have a few things that are different than the basic uniform, but it's not drastically different. Nor should it be.
That's one train of thought.

But one that does not follow the basic military pattern.

The color guard is supposed to be the biggest, baddest butt kickers in the the unit.  The are supposed to be the best of the best.....and elite units often if not always have some sort of distinctive uniform to set themselves apart from the regular members they represent.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on November 14, 2011, 06:01:55 AMThe color guard is supposed to be the biggest, baddest butt kickers in the the unit.  The are supposed to be the best of the best.....and elite units often if not always have some sort of distinctive uniform to set themselves apart from the regular members they represent.

Um, what?  In most units the CG is the first 4 cadets who walked in the door that night.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Levilockling on November 14, 2011, 03:22:04 AM
But of course. Would you want a color guard wearing the simplest of all uniforms? I know I wouldn't, I would want the audience to think that we represent more than that, and that we take the time to get that done.

You should concentrate on doing it correctly and with the reverence and respect appropriate, and not worry about being "elite".
On more than one occasion I have seen cadets who invest all their energy in the accouterments and then struggle to perform the
ceremony.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

The purpose of a color guard isn't to highlight the guard, but to highlight the Flag they carry.  It seems to me that the more circusy (made up word) that our uniform looks, the more it would detract from what the color guard is actually representing.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

a2capt

I didn't see one Service Cap at NCC.

MIKE

Quote from: a2capt on November 14, 2011, 03:51:41 PM
I didn't see one Service Cap at NCC.

And I doubt you will 'cause CAPM 52-4 sets the uniform for competition.  Deviate from that standard and you get docked points.
Mike Johnston

a2capt

^^ Yup. :) I was hoping the cap wanter would miss that bit ;)

Eclipse

So the "most elite" are the ones who are the "most uniform"?

Imagine that.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Nothing beats a Maroon Beret, bloused combat boots with white laces, and red ascots!

Git er done!

Or...just do what is in the regs, keeping the costs down and simplicity up, and focus on learning the skills.

SarDragon

There's an olde adage out there: "Form follows function." Get it working right first, then make it look pretty.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Abby.L

My color guard team had been practicing for a good month before the ceremony. Day of, we probably could have done it blind-folded. So we had that down. Now that we've deviated from the original question, it would have been nice to know that wing-approval is all that was needed for a different uniform item. Regardless, the original question posed by me was answered, so I thank you, Gentlemen.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Майор Хаткевич

Too bad a lesson wasn't learned here.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on November 14, 2011, 02:54:00 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on November 14, 2011, 06:01:55 AMThe color guard is supposed to be the biggest, baddest butt kickers in the the unit.  The are supposed to be the best of the best.....and elite units often if not always have some sort of distinctive uniform to set themselves apart from the regular members they represent.

Um, what?  In most units the CG is the first 4 cadets who walked in the door that night.
Supposed to be.

If your standards are that low....don't assume that everyone else's are.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP