CAP Veterans Buying Merchandise at the Exchange with Cell Phones

Started by zippy, November 24, 2018, 06:47:36 PM

SarDragon

Quote from: OldGuy on November 26, 2018, 12:19:32 AM
Issue 1 - providing a real benefit to the armed services,

Perception as a benefit will vary from person to person. My experience is yes, in most cases. If noting else, the tax savings is a plus. Prices, brand for brand and item for item, are generally cheaper unless you drive all over town shopping the sales. Then you have to consider how much you spend on gas. Here in California Republic, it can be significant. In my specific situation, it costs an average of about 15 cents a mile. YMMV.

QuoteIssue 2 - if AFEES is that benefit, merge with DeCa?

Not gonna happen. As noted above, one is NAF, the other is AF. Two systems, two sets of rules, with the commissary being more restrictive.

QuoteIssue 3 - if AFEES is that benefit, how to increase shoppers and sales?

That's the hard question, for which I have no quick and easy answers. I have shopped in the exchange system all my life, and with the current civilian retail "deals", it is sometimes difficult to shop in the exchange when a civilian store is closer and cheaper.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

vesryn

Quote from: SarDragon on November 26, 2018, 01:36:18 AM
Quote from: OldGuy on November 26, 2018, 12:19:32 AM
Issue 1 - providing a real benefit to the armed services,

Perception as a benefit will vary from person to person. My experience is yes, in most cases. If noting else, the tax savings is a plus. Prices, brand for brand and item for item, are generally cheaper unless you drive all over town shopping the sales. Then you have to consider how much you spend on gas. Here in California Republic, it can be significant. In my specific situation, it costs an average of about 15 cents a mile. YMMV.

From my indoctrination training as a PX employee over this past summer, the PX really provides two main benefits: "outstanding" customer service and MWR funding. In most PXs/BXs, you'll see a giant board with an amount of money that the facility has given to local MWR facilities, which helps keep them open and operational, as well as getting new supplies. That's really the biggest thing, I don't know how I'd prevent going crazy on the current base I'm at without it...

QuoteIssue 3 - if AFEES is that benefit, how to increase shoppers and sales?

That's the hard question, for which I have no quick and easy answers. I have shopped in the exchange system all my life, and with the current civilian retail "deals", it is sometimes difficult to shop in the exchange when a civilian store is closer and cheaper.

Again, referring to my indoctrination training, the main way the PX is attempting to increase sales is through community outreach, outstanding customer service, and decreasing prices/providing more discounts. I don't know about other locations, but mine has a daily sale on a particular item or categories of items. There was one day where a $3000 TV was on sale for $999. Sales like that bring a huge amount of people through the door. (edit) However, as SarDragon said, it is hard to justify making your way out to a PX if you're a civvie or Vet rather than the convenience of going to a local store. I've always lived on post, so it's always been most convenient to go to the PX, but I understand other viewpoints. (/edit)
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

sarmed1

The price on regualr items (not smokes, gas and booze) is really only on brand items.  Yes you will find a 60" Sony TV cheaper and tax free at the exhange than the local Walmart, but Walmart usually has 4 or 5 other brands of 60" TV that are cheaper.  So unless you really want the name brand version, you can find it cheaper off base.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Cliff_Chambliss

We  have found the commissary to be very beneficial.  We usually make one trip every 4-6 weeks and have found overall prices to be much better than the civilian sector.  True the selections may not be the greatest, but not every store carries every brand and that includes Walmart and Costco.  Since neither of us smoke or drink, and my wife is a "Coupon Nazi" and one to carefully price match everything (nothing like spending 10 minutes while she compares the cost per sheet of toilet tissue), and we avoid junk food we have found very real savings.
The Exchange will price match civilian stores even on firearms and ammunition.   Gas prices are on average 10 cents below off post prices and using the Exchange Credit Card lowers that by another 5 cents/gallon.
For us, the Exchange/Commissary is a very real benefit.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

abdsp51

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on November 28, 2018, 02:40:58 PM
The Exchange will price match civilian stores even on firearms and ammunition.   Gas prices are on average 10 cents below off post prices and using the Exchange Credit Card lowers that by another 5 cents/gallon.
For us, the Exchange/Commissary is a very real benefit.

They will price match yes but not for online items and it has to be the exact item.

I can buy relatively everything at our gun counter here for cheaper off base even with the taxes.

I get a 5% discount for being mil at my local Sportsmans Warehouse.  10%  at my local gun shop and for ammo if I give my gf the money well that's 10% at wal mart with her employee discount.

But for some areas ymmv.

LATORRECA

Quote from: sarmed1 on November 27, 2018, 04:32:14 PM
The price on regualr items (not smokes, gas and booze) is really only on brand items.  Yes you will find a 60" Sony TV cheaper and tax free at the exhange than the local Walmart, but Walmart usually has 4 or 5 other brands of 60" TV that are cheaper.  So unless you really want the name brand version, you can find it cheaper off base.

MK
Yes, however the Exchange insurance in Wall appliances or electronic is by far one of the best I have to dealt with. I cannot said the same from Walmart, Sams club, Best Buy or Costco.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

CAPLTC

Curious...
Will they allow CAP members to shop w/ CAP ID?
I know USN and USCG exchanges will allow USN Sea Cadets to shop w/ their ID.
USCG exchanges are opening around the country, off-mil bases. One is going into a suburban strip mall in Centreville, VA presently...
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

PHall

Quote from: CAPLTC on December 01, 2018, 03:13:27 AM
Curious...
Will they allow CAP members to shop w/ CAP ID?
I know USN and USCG exchanges will allow USN Sea Cadets to shop w/ their ID.
USCG exchanges are opening around the country, off-mil bases. One is going into a suburban strip mall in Centreville, VA presently...

You can shop for uniform items only with your CAP ID.
And you brought up the Coast Guard Exchanges earlier in this thread. Considering that the Coast Guard has small units spread out all over the place, it's not surprising that they have exchanges away from military bases.