Space Force: Go Slow, Learn From Army Air Corps

Started by OldGuy, June 25, 2018, 07:36:47 AM

OldGuy

https://breakingdefense.com/2018/06/space-force-go-slow-learn-from-army-air-corps/

"The stakes are high for President Trump's nascent Space Force because a poorly integrated service is a price America cannot afford to pay. This means a careful, thoughtful, conditions-based approach must be followed to assess if and when an autonomous military space organization will provide the best path forward."

(Edit: to just provide a snippet, not the whole article)

NIN

You could have just posted the link and an excerpt.

Considering that its copyrighted material.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

OldGuy

Quote from: NIN on June 25, 2018, 11:02:31 AM

Happy to do so if that is the protocol here. IIRC this type of forum is protected under  the "fair use" exemption - https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

NIN

Fair Use isn't the entire article.

Fair Use Doctrine doesn't precisely cover you posting a whole copyrighted article on CAP-Talk.

Where you can find yourself on "safer ground" for Fair Use is "Amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole."

If you you post a particularly relevant paragraph and a link to the article, nobody's going to bat an eye about it.

But just a rando cut/paste of the whole thing?  Yeah, maybe not so much.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: OldGuy on June 25, 2018, 02:06:15 PM

Happy to do so if that is the protocol here. IIRC this type of forum is protected under  the "fair use" exemption - https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

It IS the protocol here. Now you know.

OldGuy

Quote from: PHall on June 25, 2018, 06:54:12 PM
Quote from: OldGuy on June 25, 2018, 02:06:15 PM

It IS the protocol here. Now you know.
I do and happy to excerpt. I do not see a way to edit the post, can you do that?

NIN

Quote from: OldGuy on June 25, 2018, 07:43:53 PM
I do and happy to excerpt. I do not see a way to edit the post, can you do that?

I got you, fam.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: NIN on June 25, 2018, 06:07:14 PM
Fair Use isn't the entire article.

Fair Use Doctrine doesn't precisely cover you posting a whole copyrighted article on CAP-Talk.

Where you can find yourself on "safer ground" for Fair Use is "Amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole."

If you you post a particularly relevant paragraph and a link to the article, nobody's going to bat an eye about it.

But just a rando cut/paste of the whole thing?  Yeah, maybe not so much.

Besides, nobody wants to be held hostage to the entire article when reviewing posts. The link is just fine. Anybody with a burning desire to read it can scurry away immediately. Others can read it later. Still others can ignore it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

etodd

Funny how the original topic hasn't been discussed at all in this thread since it was hijacked immediately.

CapTalk keeps me laughing. Always good to end the day with. :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

OldGuy

Quote from: etodd on June 26, 2018, 03:15:55 AM
Funny how the original topic hasn't been discussed at all in this thread since it was hijacked immediately.

CapTalk keeps me laughing. Always good to end the day with. :)
True dat!

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: etodd on June 26, 2018, 03:15:55 AM

Perhaps that is because the original topic itself was hardly discussed, being supplanted by a thesis reading assignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Navyman101 (C/Lt Col RET)

I don't think the Space Force will ever materialize. Great idea, I just don't see it ever getting past congress.

Luis R. Ramos

The topic was hijacked immediately! No time was given for a nice discussion! See the dates.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

THRAWN

Quote from: Navyman101 (C/Lt Col RET) on June 28, 2018, 07:31:23 PM
I don't think the Space Force will ever materialize. Great idea, I just don't see it ever getting past congress.

They said the same thing about the Air Force.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

OldGuy

Quote from: THRAWN on June 29, 2018, 02:39:35 PM

Exactly. Zero question this will happen.

Navyman101 (C/Lt Col RET)

Quote from: OldGuy on June 30, 2018, 03:21:40 AM
Quote from: THRAWN on June 29, 2018, 02:39:35 PM

Exactly. Zero question this will happen.

EAT [mess] AND BARK AT THE MOON :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Earhart1971

Check Youtube for interesting information on the "Secret Space Force" and what if I told you there already is a Space Force?  I love the subject.  And who knows. It is very interesting.