Vanguard Conspiracies

Started by Eclipse, June 02, 2009, 08:08:10 PM

Eclipse

For all of you who continue to believe that the people at VG are somehow out to get us by design, please see this thread:  http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=12774

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. :D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

notaNCO forever

They are using that extra money to buy their black vans and recruit Hawk Mountain Ninja Rangers. On a serious note it's good to see it was just a mistake on Vanguard's part, and that they just aren't trying to screw us over.

Mullins

Cadet Senior Master Sergeant Ryan Mullins
        NJ-067 Bayshore Composite
               Bravo Flight Sergent

MIKE

^ Ok for some things, not for others.  Those who know better, know better.
Mike Johnston

JoeTomasone

I've never been a sole-source guy for uniforms anyway..

If I can get it on the base, I generally will.

There's a company just off-base that makes nametapes, grade insignia, etc, and will sew it all on - and their prices are quite reasonable.  So they "promote" all my BDUs.

For CAP-specific stuff (ribbons, etc) it's the Hock first, Vanguard second ('cause I like to see the little guy win too).

The only issue I have with The Hock/Vanguard is their outrageous shipping.   If I get an award that permits a new ribbon, the 80 cent ribbon costs $5-8 to ship - and that's crap.

Eclipse

Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 03, 2009, 12:12:00 PM
The only issue I have with The Hock/Vanguard is their outrageous shipping.   If I get an award that permits a new ribbon, the 80 cent ribbon costs $5-8 to ship - and that's crap.

That's why its a good idea to pre-plan this stuff, order it early with other items and toss it in a box.  That also insures you have it when the time comes.

Extras, too.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 03, 2009, 12:12:00 PMThe only issue I have with The Hock/Vanguard is their outrageous shipping.   If I get an award that permits a new ribbon, the 80 cent ribbon costs $5-8 to ship - and that's crap.

I think it's been said here many times, but if you have a small order like that, call Tom on the phone (as opposed to ordering online) and he'll mail your ribbon without the $5.00 shipping fee.

Hookedonlemons

This has to be the single-most dangerous activity a CAP member can undertake...
Finding a good price on CAP items!
Even the sub-chasers would be hesitant to undergo such a daunting and mentally destabilizing activity
God forbid we have someone get hurt, but what if someone pays 20% more on a belt at one site they could have had gotten for half off at another!?

"Bargain Hunting"
Fourth CAP mission?

Always Ready

I'm not a fan of Vanguard. I wasn't a fan of them before they took on the CAP stuff either. They are overpriced, poor quality, and there is always some sort of issue with getting the items to me (shipping issues, wrong quantity, etc.). What we are experiencing on the CAP side is nothing new. I only order from them when I desperately have to.

I used to be an avid Hock fan. It seems that during my break from CAP, the quality went downhill. I still prefer to order from Tom than from Vanguard for CAP specific items, but it's just not as good as it used to be.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 03, 2009, 08:03:16 PM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 03, 2009, 12:12:00 PMThe only issue I have with The Hock/Vanguard is their outrageous shipping.   If I get an award that permits a new ribbon, the 80 cent ribbon costs $5-8 to ship - and that's crap.

I think it's been said here many times, but if you have a small order like that, call Tom on the phone (as opposed to ordering online) and he'll mail your ribbon without the $5.00 shipping fee.

I must have missed them..  Why can't he just fix his cart feature then?   <grumble>

a2capt

Quote from: Always Ready on June 03, 2009, 11:26:03 PM
I used to be an avid Hock fan. It seems that during my break from CAP, the quality went downhill. I still prefer to order from Tom than from Vanguard for CAP specific items, but it's just not as good as it used to be.

I tend to refer to it as the Hack Shop. I don't care for the quality of some of the stuff either.  OTOH, I do applaud the little guy for sticking with it. At least the quality isn't totally hidden. It is .. what it is. The white on blue stuff is okay, but I can't stand the ribbons and some of the patches.

I will say, I thought the euplets that I saw for the first time, some time back .. I thought they were more Hock hack jobs. but.. it seems thats what Vanguard sells too. The really thin wrinkled paper looking CAP gray kind. Ugh. I scored a bunch of Major of the old way, and I will probably keep eyeballs out for Lt. Col. ones too, and snag them when I see them- store 'em. That way when time comes for that promotion, 4 years from now..  I'll have them, if that other stuff is whats going to be offered. Since Lt. Col. is the end of the road for most, they'll probably be a ton harder to find.