Main Menu

Old Style Jackets

Started by cadetnelson, April 06, 2006, 10:37:43 PM

cadetnelson

Hi, I'm new to the CAP.  I've seen in the regulations on uniforms at cap.gov that they have introduced a new coat that looks more like a suit coat in stead of the older, more military looking coat.

My question is, "is a new cadet still allowed to order/wear an old style coat"?  I just think they fit/look better but didn't know if this was allowed.  Thanks.
C/Amn Nelson

Matt

Yes.  Cadets are allowed to wear the old-style service coat as long as their pants match in shade (color).  This being said, if you're looking to wear the old-style, more military looking, service coat, you'd need to find a pair of old-style pants.  The ones that come courtesy of the AF are new-style which matches the suit-looking service coat.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

cadetnelson

Thanks.  Does anyone know if they will eventually require the new service coat and make wearing the old style unauthorized?  Also, I didn't see the old coat available from Vanguard.  Am I looking over it or is there another location at which to order it?  Thank you again.
C/Amn Nelson

MIKE

Quote from: cadetnelson on April 08, 2006, 01:54:44 AM
Thanks.  Does anyone know if they will eventually require the new service coat and make wearing the old style unauthorized?  Also, I didn't see the old coat available from Vanguard.  Am I looking over it or is there another location at which to order it?  Thank you again.

The uniform will be phased out eventually.  You won't see the old style coats available from Vanguard... You can find them on ebay or other sources... in used condition obviously.

If you are gonna get one though, I'd recommend the new style.
Mike Johnston

BillB

Mike I disagree.  The old style service coat will be around long enough for a cadet to go through the program. The old style service coat on eBay is usually about $10. The new style, which are rare are at least $60 (new cost at a Base is $165). And now that shoulder patches are removed from ALL blue uniforms, the old style looks much better.
For a Senior member, I'd suggest the new style since a Senior probably will be in for a longer period compared to the five or six years a cadet is advanced enough to wear the service coat before they:
1. outgrow it
2 turn Senior
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

http://tinyurl.com/q4v96

Cadets may continue to wear obsolete uniform items for a 2-year period following the phase-out date except when participating in national activities where only currently authorized items will be worn. The old-style Air Force service uniform for cadets will not be covered by this phase out rule and will continue to be authorized indefinitely. When old and new items are worn, the coat and slacks/skirt/trousers will be of a matching material (same shade, weave, and weight). Blue uniform items except shirts/blouses should be dry cleaned unless label specifies differently.

"That Others May Zoom"

cadetnelson

Thanks everyone.  I'm going to search for an old style, since I'm just a cadet.  I like the look of them much better.
C/Amn Nelson

MIKE

I got my new style officers coat for $25 used at the Hanscom AFB thrift store.  My old style stuff from my cadet daze was issued to me from squadron supply...

If cadets have access to cheap or free old style uniforms... This includes trousers, slacks or skirts... Then by all means wear the old style.  But odds are C/A1C Snuffy will be wearing his current style/shade FCU issue with an old style coat.

Lets not forget that service dress is not a required uniform combination.
Mike Johnston

MIKE

Quote from: Eclipse on April 08, 2006, 03:09:58 AM
The old-style Air Force service uniform for cadets will not be covered by this phase out rule and will continue to be authorized indefinitely.

Which means... Until we publish another revision to the manual or a policy letter that sez otherwise.
Mike Johnston

Hammer

Quote from: Matt on April 06, 2006, 10:54:55 PM
Yes.  Cadets are allowed to wear the old-style service coat as long as their pants match in shade (color).  This being said, if you're looking to wear the old-style, more military looking, service coat, you'd need to find a pair of old-style pants.  The ones that come courtesy of the AF are new-style which matches the suit-looking service coat.

Isn't/wasn't there a 1620 (current shade) old-style Service Dress Coat?

Smitty (The Other One)

Quote from: Hammer on April 08, 2006, 04:58:30 PM

Yes.  I have one sitting in my closet, from when I was a cadet.  They're rare though... I was just lucky enough to know someone who was willing to give theirs up for the new one. 

Matt

Quote from: Smitty (The Other One) on September 02, 2006, 01:47:15 AM
Quote from: Hammer on April 08, 2006, 04:58:30 PM

Yes.  I have one sitting in my closet, from when I was a cadet.  They're rare though... I was just lucky enough to know someone who was willing to give theirs up for the new one. 

I can beat that... I was offered the older-style, light blue just this past week... However, it's doubtful to find the older styles outside of surplus stores and CAP supply cages...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

AlphaSigOU

There are several AF shades for the service dress uniform:

Old style:

1084: Oldest of the old, long obsolete. Chances are the service dress coat in this shade
will have actual lower patch pockets (the newer ones only have the pocket flap). Blue is closer to a blue-gray.

1549: Most commonly seen in the 1970s-1980s era.

1578: This one's a polyester double-knit blend.

1608: Used mainly by AF Academy cadets and the prep school, with some having floated over to AFJROTC.

New style:

1620: Current shade for the new-style service dress coat.

1625: Used only for the trousers of the blue AF-style shirt combination, and also the shade selected for the TPU - ahem - CAP blue corporate uniform.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040