Vanguard Discount code

Started by dogboy, February 10, 2012, 12:51:42 AM

dogboy

Anyone have the current Vanguard discount code?

PHall

Quote from: dogboy on February 10, 2012, 12:51:42 AM

Scamguard has discounts? :o

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

titanII

No longer active on CAP talk

Jeff Malott

Noble Six

Check the tx wing website they post the new one ever month.
United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

dogboy

Quote from: dogboy on February 10, 2012, 12:51:42 AM

I found it on Vanguard's Facebook page.

When you go to the Vanguard web page

http://www.vanguardmil.com/

you'll see Social Networking Rewards. Click on that and the linked page contain links for Facebook Twitter Yelp and LinkIn

SARDOC

if they are going to offer the 10% discount every month...Why don't they just lower their prices 10% instead of making their prisoners Customers look it up all the time for some BS monopoly marketing?

Sapper168

Its funny Ive bought stuff from Vanguard several times and have had absolutely no problems at all.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

PHall

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on February 10, 2012, 03:45:48 AM
Its funny Ive bought stuff from Vanguard several times and have had absolutely no problems at all.

I've brought stuff from them with no problems too. Actually there is a "problem", their prices.

Example: Item with one price on the Military Store page, different price for the same item on the CAP page and yet another price for the same item at the MCSS at your local AFB. And the item was supplied to AAFES by Vanguard.

Why.....

a2capt

Things on the big V site that are identical should be reported to them, and for the hell of it, I'd report it to NHQ too, if I thought they'd care.

As for AAFES- well, they buy a lot more than we do, and they also have their set prices on that stuff, and they support their local MWR, don't they?

Sorta like how when we buy from the Big V, Hawk Mountain gets another tile in the commode. 

Eclipse

^ Obviously a problem, but not one limited to VG if MCSS is affected as well.  Just shop at AAFES.

"That Others May Zoom"

Patterson

Quote from: a2capt on February 10, 2012, 04:37:58 AM
Sorta like how when we buy from the Big V, Hawk Mountain gets another tile in the commode.

Hawk has received a total of $9,000 since CAP partnered with Vanguard (for your information).  Have you even read the reports, or do you just make stuff up to fit your backwards view of things you truly don't understand?

You want to know where your Vanguard surcharge fees are going?  Look to Indiana, Michigan and California.  Indiana has received close to $28,000 for something called "NESA", not sure what that is. 

Do you really want to get upset?  Request the Financial report from NHQ.  Look at FY2011 costs for "executive and committee travel".  Lets just say, CAP executives at NHQ are traveling way too much, and need to stop wasting members dues on trips via commercial airlines when we have the countries largest fleet of single-engine aircraft!!

Ned

Quote from: Patterson on February 10, 2012, 11:33:45 PM
Look at FY2011 costs for "executive and committee travel".  Lets just say, CAP executives at NHQ are traveling way too much, and need to stop wasting members dues on trips via commercial airlines when we have the countries largest fleet of single-engine aircraft!!

It sounds like you have some expertise in this area, and I am vitally concerned with saving CAP some money.

Could you please show me how it would be cheaper for me to fly from San Jose, California to Maxwell, RON for a two day BoG meeting, and return for less than the roundtrip Southwest Airlines fare of $457.00 (all fees included)?

I would be genuinely interested.

Do you think it might be a problem that the aircraft will be sitting on the ramp at MAFB for a couple of days while I am sitting in some dull meeting?  Could that affect the operational readiness of the unit that provided the aircraft?  Are CAP pilots very excited about flying passengers around for days at a time just to attend meetings?  It doesn't sound very exciting to me, but like I said, I'm not a pilot.

My inexperience is undoubtedly showing, but Google suggests to me that a 182 burns about 12-14 gallons per hour.  So, let's see . . . it's roughly 2300 miles as the crow flies.  Wikipedia tells me a 182 cruises at 145 kts/ 167 mph, so that sounds like about 14 hours of flying (if we don't have to stop enroute) for a subtotal of about 320 gallons of fuel, roundtrip.

What's avgas going for these days?  I'm told it is about $6 a gallon. 

So it sounds like if I used a corporate aircraft to go to the meeting, the cost would be over $1,800 just for fuel alone, not counting maintenance or other costs.

So fuel costs alone for a corporate aircraft are more than three times the complete cost of an airline ticket.

What am I missing?

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Ned on February 11, 2012, 01:49:00 AM
Look at FY2011 costs for "executive and committee travel".  Lets just say, CAP executives at NHQ are traveling way too much, and need to stop wasting members dues on trips via commercial airlines when we have the countries largest fleet of single-engine aircraft!!

It sounds like you have some expertise in this area, and I am vitally concerned with saving CAP some money.

Could you please show me how it would be cheaper for me to fly from San Jose, California to Maxwell, RON for a two day BoG meeting, and return for less than the roundtrip Southwest Airlines fare of $457.00 (all fees included)?

I would be genuinely interested.

Do you think it might be a problem that the aircraft will be sitting on the ramp at MAFB for a couple of days while I am sitting in some dull meeting?  Could that affect the operational readiness of the unit that provided the aircraft?  Are CAP pilots very excited about flying passengers around for days at a time just to attend meetings?  It doesn't sound very exciting to me, but like I said, I'm not a pilot.

My inexperience is undoubtedly showing, but Google suggests to me that a 182 burns about 12-14 gallons per hour.  So, let's see . . . it's roughly 2300 miles as the crow flies.  Wikipedia tells me a 182 cruises at 145 kts/ 167 mph, so that sounds like about 14 hours of flying (if we don't have to stop enroute) for a subtotal of about 320 gallons of fuel, roundtrip.

What's avgas going for these days?  I'm told it is about $6 a gallon. 

So it sounds like if I used a corporate aircraft to go to the meeting, the cost would be over $1,800 just for fuel alone, not counting maintenance or other costs.

So fuel costs alone for a corporate aircraft are more than three times the complete cost of an airline ticket.

What am I missing?

Agreed. Also, it's nice to see that you're using the discount airlines like the rest of us :). Travel costs money, and national roles require it.

Has the BoG and other bodies that travel considered a teleconferencing solution? Cisco (among other brands) puts together a very nice solution that, while having a high up-front cost, could potentially pay for itself in reduced travel expenses.

PHall

Quote from: a2capt on February 10, 2012, 04:37:58 AM

You want to know where your Vanguard surcharge fees are going?  Look to Indiana, Michigan and California.  Indiana has received close to $28,000 for something called "NESA", not sure what that is. 

What did California get any money from Vanguard for?  We don't host anything other then IACE.

SarDragon

Yeah. I looked in the financial report, and the only mention of California was in Ned's bio.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RC007

just sign up for their monthly newsletter and you'll get the code every month.

a2capt

Quote from: Patterson on February 10, 2012, 11:33:45 PMHawk has received a total of $9,000 since CAP partnered with Vanguard (for your information).  Have you even read the reports, or do you just make stuff up to fit your backwards view of things you truly don't understand?
It's truly not a backwards view. My comment was obviously sarcastic, and meant to encompass the whole kickback scheme in general. It serves the average member hardly at all, yet costs every one of us.

NESA is National Emergency Services Academy, BTW.

If they want to help "us", use that collective fee to give us an option to get some free stuff when we order a bunch for unit supply. Or give units the option of buying their bulk as if they were a dealer.

NHQ still wins because they're not "losing" that chunk of change on running the operation like they used to, and at least the operation is more efficient than it used to be as it's operated by a company with the infrastructure in place to support it.

Yes, there was a fair amount of angst and heartburn when it started out due to the disparity in pricing on identical goods with different SKU's. Some of it fairly gross, too. ... and no, it wasn't just based on the prior price in the CAPMart catalog.

About the only thing I must say I miss, and I know it's a rarity in the mail order market of today anyway is the nice, illustrated catalog. So we tend to guard the CAPMart catalog. It's simply far easier to point at stuff and show people what the items look like, how they are available, etc. when introducing new members to CAP supply.

Huey Driver

This one only got slightly off topic.  ::)
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...