Vanguard Letter from the National Commander

Started by a2capt, April 22, 2010, 03:05:44 PM

a2capt

An open letter is issued on the subject? Must be even "bigger" than just what is talked about on the forums here. They don't issue letters for everything...

OFFICE OF THE NATIONAL COMMANDER
CIVIL AIR PATROL
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE AUXILIARY
MAXWELL AIR FORCE BASE, ALABAMA 36112-6332

22 April 2010

Dear Civil Air Patrol Members

Over the past four years, Vanguard has improved service to Civil Air Patrol (CAP) members in several critical ways. The company has upgraded their website to make it more user friendly and added new software that offers the ability to track orders from the moment they are placed to the time they leave the shipping department. According to our members, order fulfillment has improved dramatically.

Vanguard is in the unique position to be able to not only offer a vast range of quality products to CAP, but also to contribute financially to a worthwhile volunteer organization. In designing this partnership, an exclusive license agreement was devised to return a percentage of all CAP/Vanguard sales to CAP. These funds are combined with matching CAP funds to upgrade training facilities across the country and to support selected CAP public awareness initiatives.

Does the money really make a difference? Thanks largely to Vanguard royalties, we have a 60-foot rappelling tower, hot showers and a four-wheel drive Bobcat at Hawk Mountain. Vanguard royalties have also contributed to improvements at the Blue Beret training facility at Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and helped purchase multiple CAP vehicle wraps. Our partnership with Vanguard provides these multiple important benefits while continuing to fulfill CAP's crucial uniform needs.

Vanguard is constantly working to offer the best service possible to CAP members -- including lowering shipping costs, upgrading customer service and expanding product lines -- with the additional royalties going into CAP. Additionally, Vanguard supports CAP's annual national conference and sets up booths at various wing and region conferences to showcase new products.

A mutually beneficial corporate agreement, partnerships like the CAP/Vanguard Industries affiliation is a win-win scenario. I want to underscore the importance of CAP's partnership with Vanguard. It is only through this exclusive arrangement that CAP chose to create, that we benefit financially as a team.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not direct them to Vanguard, but instead send them to CAP at comments@capnhq.gov.

Sincerely

AMY S. COURTER
                                                         Major General, CAP
                                                         National Commander

I just wish the funding were distributed a little more widely. Perhaps the intend to switch focus, but on the face of it, thats all it looks like they are doing is pouring it into these specific areas.

peter rabbit

Cecil DP

I received an e-mail broadcasted to all FLWG memberds from Col Moersch, the Wing CC
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Major Lord

As directed in the letter, I sent the following E-mail a few minutes ago:

comments@capnhq.gov

Thank you very much for outlining the benefits CAP has enjoyed as a result of the exclusivity agreement with Vanguard. Would you be kind enough to release a copy of the actual agreement so that CAP members can have a fuller understanding of how our individually spent dollars are accrued and allocated? Is there a written policy letter or regulation describing how the funds received as a function of this agreement are spent, and any documentation describing specifically how these funds have been spent?

Best regards,

Allen R. Lord

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

IceNine

I don't have a problem with a specific vendor chosen by the organization.  I have very specific and angry feelings about being restricted from purchasing items that are unavailable in their current form from the exclusive vendor.

If Vanguard produced fabric strip name tapes, and quality custom engrave able coins, etc I would have no issues.  But it chaps my backside when they pull vendors that aren't competing because they are producing a unique product.  The more pressing issue here is that instead of partnering with these quality vendors and selling them through the exclusive vendor we are instead ignoring their quality and service, blindly shutting their support of the organization out, and ultimately burning bridges.

I will probably a similar response once I've ironed out the emotion...

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

jimmydeanno

Quote from: IceNine on April 22, 2010, 06:15:58 PM
I don't have a problem with a specific vendor chosen by the organization.  I have very specific and angry feelings about being restricted from purchasing items that are unavailable in their current form from the exclusive vendor.

If Vanguard produced fabric strip name tapes, and quality custom engrave able coins, etc I would have no issues.  But it chaps my backside when they pull vendors that aren't competing because they are producing a unique product.  The more pressing issue here is that instead of partnering with these quality vendors and selling them through the exclusive vendor we are instead ignoring their quality and service, blindly shutting their support of the organization out, and ultimately burning bridges.

All the complaining by members about the specific vendor I think can many times be boiled down to what you just said.  Remove the emotion and you'll find most people agree with you.  Heck, I do.

Additionally, if you are looking for CAP "leisure wear" (polo shirts, hats, etc) in a specific color or with a certain logo, etc you're stuck with what Vanguard offers.  Certainly, we've all looked through the selection and have probably not purchased any of it because it doesn't meet modern trends, etc.  Seriously, I'm not going to wear an ultramarine blue button down shirt with pockets that has a huge cessna embroidered on the front.  Ain't gonna happen.

Here's a perfect example:

A very nice hat in quality.  I also like the emblem on the front.  However, I would NEVER purchase this hat because of the horribly looking text on the side of the hat.

Or this:

Again, a high quality fleece jacket but in an awkward color blue and with a hideous logo on it.

YMMV.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

I've never liked those Cessna shirts, clearly aimed at pilots (and man have they caused mission-wear issues over the years), but the hat is basically a current design.

The trend these days is stuff all over them.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mustang

The fact General Courter's letter gracefully skirts is that these extra revenues are not the product of Vanguard's goodwill, but a contractually mandated royalty fee that is passed onto Vanguard's customers--i.e., the CAP membership.  So whether it's through an extra 6% paid via Vanguard sales or an extra $10 tacked onto membership dues, what's really going on here is a leadership-sanctioned fleecing of the membership.

Personally, I find statements like "It is only through this exclusive arrangement that CAP chose to create, that we benefit financially as a team." offensive. CAP should be negotiating deals to offer REQUIRED UNIFORM ITEMS at the LOWEST POSSIBLE COST to the member. That the proceeds go to worthwhile CAP programs (debatable) does not change the fact that these funds are coming from one place and one place only: the membership's pockets.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Eclipse

I would say its more of a member-subsidy / payback, similar to a credit card rewards program,  then a "fleecing" - if anyone asked me, I would be spending the money elsewhere, probably on encampment scholarships and the like, but no one asked.  It might be nice to have members / activities / wings, etc., submit grant proposals and maybe even have them voted on nationally.

I would imagine the people at HMRS and NBB are pretty happy with how things have worked out so far.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

I am concerned that not only are these funds that CAP receives in royalties spent on things we are just now hearing about, we are apparently offering "matching" funds to reinforce the monies received in royalties. Effectively, all these funds come from member dues, unless the Air Force is chipping in.....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

AirAux

I would think that we would get a good return with the Blue Beret funds as it seems to be one of the highest exposure advertizing we have.  It's a great mission with a chance to expose untold numbers of aviation people to the professionalism and dedication of CAP.  The cadets do a great job..

A.Member

^  This...

Quote from: Eclipse on April 22, 2010, 08:08:01 PM
It might be nice to have members...submit grant proposals and maybe even have them voted on nationally.
and ^ this...

sum up the issue rather nicely for me. 

I'd even suggest that the royalties are simply redistributed back to Wings as percentage based on their membership.

I will try to get off a brief e-mail shortly.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

tdepp

^"The Letter" is The Perfect CAPTalk Storm: Hatred of Vanguard coupled with a discussion of uniforms, grumbling that God forbid anyone in CAP ever have to pay one dime extra for anything to support the organization, to our leadership has sold us out. 

This has to be some sort of Superfecta that even CAPTalk rarely achieves.  ;D 

Now, if we could only figure out a way to add in Chaplains and members being allowed to conceal carry guns while in uniform, Gen. John Curry would return from Air Force Heaven and have a day of CAP reckoning, separating the AF-style uniform wearers from the fat and fuzzies.
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

JC004

The hot showers are not motivating me to buy from Vanguard.

They still screw us by not offering stuff we want and the agreement makes it so others can't either.  Awesome.

Senior

I have had a nagging feeling about paying Vanguard for stuff, and then they send a portion of our money back to National.  Why don't
they tack on 5-10 dollars to membership dues and cut out Vanguard as the middleman?   ??? :-\

Rotorhead

Thanks largely to Vanguard royalties, we have a 60-foot rappelling tower, hot showers and a four-wheel drive Bobcat at Hawk Mountain. Vanguard royalties have also contributed to improvements at the Blue Beret training facility at Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and helped purchase multiple CAP vehicle wraps.

None of which benefit me or my Wing.

Saying this has the exactly the opposite effect of what was intended, at least in my case.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

vmstan

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 22, 2010, 06:56:01 PM

All the complaining by members about the specific vendor I think can many times be boiled down to what you just said.  Remove the emotion and you'll find most people agree with you.  Heck, I do.

Additionally, if you are looking for CAP "leisure wear" (polo shirts, hats, etc) in a specific color or with a certain logo, etc you're stuck with what Vanguard offers.  Certainly, we've all looked through the selection and have probably not purchased any of it because it doesn't meet modern trends, etc.  Seriously, I'm not going to wear an ultramarine blue button down shirt with pockets that has a huge cessna embroidered on the front.  Ain't gonna happen.

Here's a perfect example:
A very nice hat in quality.  I also like the emblem on the front.  However, I would NEVER purchase this hat because of the horribly looking text on the side of the hat.

Or this:
Again, a high quality fleece jacket but in an awkward color blue and with a hideous logo on it.

YMMV.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who say those two items and thought the exact same thing. I'd buy the hat in a heartbeat if it didn't have the crap on the sides. If the fleece and other clothes had just a CAP/USAFAux logo on it I'd own 5 and wear them all the time. But not how it looks now.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

RiverAux

I'm a little surprised that NHQ felt the need to issue a letter like this.  I can't help but think it is in response to frequent CAPTalk posts on the issue. 

vmstan

Among other places. The "official" Facebook page had a lot of traffic about it too. It's also been the topic of discussion at just about every CAP function I've been to since that happened. I'm sure they are getting a lot of heat about it.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Eclipse

Quote from: Marshalus on April 23, 2010, 02:19:06 AM
The "official" Facebook page had a lot of traffic about it too.

CAP has an "Official" Facebook page?

Does it have twinkly glitter letters and a Farmville account, too?

"That Others May Zoom"