My Wing Officially Rolls Out ...

Started by etodd, May 20, 2019, 08:26:53 PM

sardak

QuoteLooks like the Army is going toward the Euro made Parrot.
No, reading the full article, not the press release from Parrot, finds that:

In this process, the U.S. Army is partnering with the Pentagon's internal startup accelerator to adapt small commercial drones for the battlefield. Parrot, the leading European drone group, is one of the 6 companies that have met the standards set in the solicitation issued in November 2018 to develop and prototype the next generation of small-unit surveillance drone.

The six chosen companies are based in the U.S, with the notable exception of French manufacturer Parrot. The remaining five are Skydio, Altavian, Teal Drones, Vantage Robotics, and Lumenier.

https://dronelife.com/2019/05/29/parrot-among-manufacturers-chosen-by-dod-for-u-s-army-recon-drone-program/

Mike

etodd

Point being that the DOD will eventually decide on models, and then big brother AF will tell us what to use. 

In the interim, it matters little what we are training with at this old golf course. China can see it just fine on Google Earth. 🤣

IOW ... much too early for any of us CAP folks to be going all OPSEC yet. We will have the proper gear before any customer needs us.

For now it's just training.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2019, 09:18:03 PM
Soon we'll hear that Huawei was chosen as the official controller vendor.

Why? Are they going to pay a kickback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Luis R. Ramos

I would bet that was sarcasm. Huawei has been accused of electronic spying of US and other nation's corporations.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

etodd

When we shoot photos of hurricane damage, flooding, etc. with our DSLRs or Virbs and at Mission Base using whatever internet connection we can muster up, upload them to the FEMA website, I have no doubt that the Chinese or anyone else could have been seeing all these all along over the years.  We do what we can, but I don't think FEMA has ever been all freaked out that our Texas flooding images might be going to Kim in North Korea.  For 99% of our typical drone missions I envision in the future, it'll be the same. OPSEC a non-issue. When it is an issue, the proper gear and precautions will be in place. Give our big brother AF some credit for watching over us, as well as our customers' requirements.

N6RVT

Quote from: etodd on May 30, 2019, 01:49:52 PMI don't think FEMA has ever been all freaked out that our Texas flooding images might be going to Kim in North Korea.

Google Maps Street View tells them far more than our drones ever will.

Spam

I hear where y'all are coming from, but interception of our imagery is not the concern, teammates. The concern is that we'll have nonsecure components interfacing within an extended system which may interface with critical response infrastructure, and may thereby introduce a vulnerability path through FEMA links into DHS, participating DoD agencies, and many more.

You may laugh and roll your eyes at what you may consider paranoia, but its not paranoia when they really are out to penetrate us via supply chain attacks. And they are.  So in concert with our customers we will grow to appreciate the necessity for required countermeasures. FEMA is only now starting to wake up to their massive vulnerability problem in the wake of their recent penetrations and data spills, and is starting to take action in compliance with the new law enacted last fall.

https://www.dhs.gov/CISA

So, I expect that we'll end up inheriting some of the measures that FEMA, DHS, and DoD among others have been struggling with for some time now (from the physical - no thumb drives, accountable audits, etc.) to procedural, to getting rid of equipment from known bad actors (e.g. Huawei, any iPhones or Alexas or the like, that sort of thing).  Mother USAF is still, after all this time, finding airmen somehow loading inappropriate material via newly discovered vulnerable paths into critical systems, so it may take some time for the process to work with us.

R/s
Spam

etodd

Quote from: Spam on June 01, 2019, 12:09:32 AM

Mother USAF is still, after all this time, finding airmen somehow loading inappropriate material via newly discovered vulnerable paths into critical systems, so it may take some time for the process to work with us.

In the meantime, we'll still keep having fun training. When time comes for actual missions, we'll be issued the proper gear. That's above our "pay grade".  The average CAP member is only required to use the gear issued and follow the task guide. Let the DOD worry about the rest.   :)

Spam

Quote from: etodd on June 01, 2019, 01:50:57 AM
Quote from: Spam on June 01, 2019, 12:09:32 AM

Mother USAF is still, after all this time, finding airmen somehow loading inappropriate material via newly discovered vulnerable paths into critical systems, so it may take some time for the process to work with us.

In the meantime, we'll still keep having fun training. When time comes for actual missions, we'll be issued the proper gear. That's above our "pay grade".  The average CAP member is only required to use the gear issued and follow the task guide. Let the DOD worry about the rest.   :)

Agreed... lets not borrow trouble.