A defense of Ranger Tapes

Started by therealfirstsergeant, December 12, 2017, 04:10:16 PM

FW

Quote from: waukwiz on December 13, 2017, 12:00:44 AM
Glad to see CAPtalk still handles opinions that differ from their groupthink well. Can't imagine a world where everyone thinks for themselves.

What OP is trying to assert is that a ranger tab shows that this person at a bare minimum has had some field experience. There's no way to know whether someone with GTM3 on their 101 Card has actually demonstrated capability on the tasks needed, or if their SQTR was signed off because they happened to be found in a room that had a ground team class going on. Having graduated HMRS at least guarantees that they have participated in something resembling CAP field ops.

Yes, regulations require task demonstration, but not everyone follows regulations. You may be lucky enough or oblivious enough to have never noticed a GTM mercilessly pencil whipped through their quals and set up for failure, but others of us have not been as fortunate.

The true question is which is worse: dealing with a "certified" GTM who should be placed nowhere near a mission, or dealing with the infinite wisdom and humility of a HMRS grad.

"groupthink"?  good word.  LOL
As a former Pa Wing Commander, who sat through the process of "rewriting" the book on the HMRS program, I think I can make an opinion of what the caliber of training is,and its practical application.  The OP's statement is not based in reality.  "Field experience" is a relative term.  I am not criticizing the experience of the Hawk Mt. Schools.  In fact I enjoyed the experience, and think the members who participate get some good knowledge.  Practical experience, however is something else.  I have found, from experience, that members trained in other venues may be as good or better during a real mission.

SarDragon

Thank you, Colonel.

I think that about covers the tower fly-by.

Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret