"Guard the controls..."

Started by Live2Learn, November 06, 2015, 06:14:28 PM

LTCTerry

QuoteAn important point in this example provided by Sardak is that the flight was NOT a training flight.  Neither is a CAP checkride, nor is a BFR or IPC if the pilot in the left seat is current in the aircraft cat/class and operation.

CFI Peeve: The FARs no longer require a Biennial Flight Review. The term BFR is outdated. Per 14 CFR 61.56 pilots require a Flight Review at least every 24 calendar months.

A Flight Review is very much a training flight. Look at this quote from the FAA's Guide on conducting a Flight Review:

QuoteAC 61-98B states that the flight review is "an instructional service designed to assess a pilot's knowledge and skills." The regulations are even more specific: 14 CFR 61.56 states that the person giving the flight review has the discretion to determine the maneuvers and procedures necessary for the pilot to demonstrate "safe exercise of the privileges of the pilot certificate." It is thus a proficiency-based exercise, and it is up to you, the instructional service provider, to determine how much time and what type of instruction is required to ensure that the pilot has the necessary knowledge and skills for safe operation.

A Flight Review is not a test; it cannot be "failed." If the pilot does not meet the standards it's simply logged as dual and no endorsement is provided to act as PIC for the next 24 calendar months. The flight review can take place in any category/class listed on the pilot's certificate and is good for the rest. I can have a flight review in a glider and it's equally valid for the multi-engine part of my certificate. Vice versa as well. A Flight Review is properly logged as both PIC and dual.

This is, of course, just one of the elements required to be a legally current pilot.

Before takeoff on dual flights, I discuss who has the controls for the takeoff/etc. Before we get that far, I want to know the individual's total and recent experience. I might say something like, "You have the flight controls for takeoff. You have not flown in six months, and we have not flown together. My hands will be near, but not on the controls. If I have to take control during the initial takeoff I will, then tell you. Otherwise I will tell you first."

Yes, the 10,000+ guys can be scary. Or incredible. :)

Terry
CFI

docsteve

Quote from: LTCTerry on December 17, 2015, 08:25:55 AM
QuoteAn important point in this example provided by Sardak is that the flight was NOT a training flight.  Neither is a CAP checkride, nor is a BFR or IPC if the pilot in the left seat is current in the aircraft cat/class and operation.

CFI Peeve: The FARs no longer require a Biennial Flight Review. The term BFR is outdated. Per 14 CFR 61.56 pilots require a Flight Review at least every 24 calendar months.

A Flight Review is very much a training flight. Look at this quote from the FAA's Guide on conducting a Flight Review:

QuoteAC 61-98B states that the flight review is "an instructional service designed to assess a pilot's knowledge and skills." The regulations are even more specific: 14 CFR 61.56 states that the person giving the flight review has the discretion to determine the maneuvers and procedures necessary for the pilot to demonstrate "safe exercise of the privileges of the pilot certificate." It is thus a proficiency-based exercise, and it is up to you, the instructional service provider, to determine how much time and what type of instruction is required to ensure that the pilot has the necessary knowledge and skills for safe operation.

A Flight Review is not a test; it cannot be "failed." If the pilot does not meet the standards it's simply logged as dual and no endorsement is provided to act as PIC for the next 24 calendar months. The flight review can take place in any category/class listed on the pilot's certificate and is good for the rest. I can have a flight review in a glider and it's equally valid for the multi-engine part of my certificate. Vice versa as well. A Flight Review is properly logged as both PIC and dual.

Pehaps this may be of some interest.  At a FIRC I attended in September there was some emphasis placed on the principal that the only time that flight instruction may not be given is during a test for a certificate or rating; that is, an examier  may not give instruction during a test, while at any other time (flight review, IPC) instruction may be given without prejudice (to the activity).  (If on a flight test instruction is necessary then one might conclude that the test has already been failed.)  So I may find the need to provide insturction during an IPC and still "pass" the individual, ditto when I was a Wing Check Pilot.

S
Steve Sconfienza, Ph.D.
former captain

JeffDG

Quote from: docsteve on December 19, 2015, 01:20:04 AM
Pehaps this may be of some interest.  At a FIRC I attended in September there was some emphasis placed on the principal that the only time that flight instruction may not be given is during a test for a certificate or rating; that is, an examier  may not give instruction during a test, while at any other time (flight review, IPC) instruction may be given without prejudice (to the activity).  (If on a flight test instruction is necessary then one might conclude that the test has already been failed.)  So I may find the need to provide insturction during an IPC and still "pass" the individual, ditto when I was a Wing Check Pilot.

S

Interesting...on my Private checkride, the DPE gave me a fantastic lesson on trim on the way back to the airport...still technically part of the test, but he had me fly back to the airport without touching the yoke, using only the rudder for direction, and the throttle for altitude.  I think I had, effectively, pass the test unless if broke the plane on the final landing at that point, but it was still part of the checkride.

Flying Pig

And after your check rides dont be surprised when the FAA calls you to talk to you about your check ride.  And one of the questions they will ask is "At any time during your check ride did your examiner provide any flight instruction?"