Winch launching information

Started by jpcaron, June 15, 2011, 05:30:23 PM

jpcaron

Hi everyone,

I'm new on these forums, so please tell me if I did anything wrong by posting here.

I am very interested in winch launches for gliders. I understand the basic workings of a winch (engine, transmission, drum(s), cable, drogue chute, etc.), but I'd like to know more about the altitudes reached, maintenance that has to be done, if any big problems arise from the use of winches, etc. Is there anyone I could contact (as in email or call) that would be knowledgeable? Or is there anyone I could contact that could know someone? Or even simply what units use winch launches?

I've been trying to Google, but it only returns the California Los Alamitos 41th Squadron. Yet, I believe more than one unit uses winches.

Thank you in advance!

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

bosshawk

IIRC, only Los Alamitos has gliders in CAWG.  The CAWG glider program has been up and down for a long time: mostly down.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

PHall

Quote from: bosshawk on June 15, 2011, 11:39:06 PM
IIRC, only Los Alamitos has gliders in CAWG.  The CAWG glider program has been up and down for a long time: mostly down.

It's up right now, has been for over six months.

bosshawk

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

jpcaron

Thank you for the SSA info! (still only returns CAWG for CAP units)

Yet, apart from CAWG, or in California, is there a CAP unit that uses winches?

AdAstra

jcaron,

The winch at Los Alamitos (CA) is working? I walked by a couple of weeks ago and it still looks as dusty and Rube Goldburg-esque as I remember. I can watch the gliders on aerotow from my front door, but the winch operations were/are at the other end of the airport. I recall getting to 900-1,000 feet from a winch launch at Los Al.

Pacific Region also has Glider Centers of Excellence in Washington-Oregon and Hawai'i, but talking to the Washington people I gather they only use aerotows. That seems to be the norm in CAP and the US.

Check out the National Cadet Special Activity (NCSA) flight academies: http://ncsas.com/?Category=Aviation. Alas, not one has a contact number listed. Several Glider Centers for Excellence activities are also listed as non-NCSA activities.
Charles Wiest