Wile E. Coyote Bombs

Started by Major Lord, May 01, 2011, 12:39:27 PM

Major Lord

Those clever French people are dropping big rocks on armor; Primitive,but effective! Maybe CAP should have dropped Bee hives or anvils on German subs!

http://defensetech.org/2011/04/29/france-using-concrete-bombs-in-libya/

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

GTCommando

+1 to the Frenchies! That is hilarious, yet brilliant.  :clap: :clap: :clap:
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

RVT

Quote from: GTCommando on May 01, 2011, 01:15:04 PM+1 to the Frenchies! That is hilarious, yet brilliant.  :clap: :clap: :clap:
LASER GUIDED CONCRETE BOMB.

At first I thought it was an economy measure, but apparently not...

wuzafuzz

Smart Rocks?

Airborne trebuchet?
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Major Lord

Sort of an interesting twist on the "David meets Goliath" story........I wonder how much these things cost with just a hunk of concrete and a guidance package? I remember the idea of our dropping tungsten pointy telephone poles from orbit.  They would be going pretty fast when they hit their target and flash to plasma on impact, but they were really just big arrows dropped from the sky. The brute force approach of a chunk of concrete has a certain elegance. Smart rocks indeed!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

PHall

Precision guided concrete bombs aren't such a bad idea. With no explosive there is very little collateral damage from the explosion.
Could come in pretty handy if you're dealing with bad guys in a built up area.

a2capt

Ah.. Jerry Pournelle.. yeah. As opposed to lobbing rocks and boulders, which isn't the same thing. Though very close. Imagine if the Palestinians got some smart rocks. ;)

SarDragon

You're thinking of rocks being launched from the moon? Not Pournelle. Heinlein - The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

caphornbuckle

Sticks and stones may break my bones....
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

Rogovin

Quote from: caphornbuckle on May 01, 2011, 11:20:11 PM
Sticks and stones may break my bones....

But finally France can hurt me!

-Rogovin

a2capt

"Rods from God" .. Pournelle.  I just wondered why they wouldn't burn up, myself. SpaceShipOne isn't going fast enough, but didn't come in from an orbit either.

SarDragon

Look up the properties of tungsten. It is more dense than uranium, and the melting point is 3695 K. That's 6191.33 °F.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MikeD

Quote from: SarDragon on May 02, 2011, 05:19:11 AM
Look up the properties of tungsten. It is more dense than uranium, and the melting point is 3695 K. That's 6191.33 °F.

Thats about double the reentry heating of the Space Shuttle, according to wiki, so it just might work if it came in at the right reentry profile...

Bobble

Some other methods:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/planes-uavs/5-weapons-systems-to-reduce-collateral-damage?click=pp#fbIndex1

A "... cloud of 3700 penetrator rods, steel and tungsten darts ranging from 1 ounce to 1 pound in weight." !  Ouch!
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."