World War Two Weekend 2010

Thoughts and Comments?
Tyler R. Humphrey, C/2Lt. CAP
Squadron Commander
Hawk Mountain Ranger Search and Rescue School
USAF-AUX
"We Lead"

FW

Are you writing about the upcoming WW2 weekend to be held at the airport in Reading, PA?  If so, it should be an excellent way to spend a weekend.  Plenty of exhibits and reenactments. And of course, the junk food will be abundant....

What are the dates?

davidsinn

Quote from: HMRSRANGER on June 08, 2010, 12:07:06 PM

Thoughts and Comments?

It would be nice to know what you are talking about.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

HMRSRANGER

Well, Sorry to inform you that the weekend just past, the dates were june 4-6.
Quote from: davidsinn on June 08, 2010, 01:39:12 PM
Quote from: HMRSRANGER on June 08, 2010, 12:07:06 PM

Thoughts and Comments?

It would be nice to know what you are talking about.

Well the post above pretty much wraps it up^

http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

Heres a link that will explain, pretty much anything and everything.

Posts merged - MIKE
Tyler R. Humphrey, C/2Lt. CAP
Squadron Commander
Hawk Mountain Ranger Search and Rescue School
USAF-AUX
"We Lead"

sarmed1

I have always enjoyed the WWII weekend..... I remember when back in the day (way back... early '90's) when it was a small local event the local CAP squadron was pretty much the sole "support" partner with the MAAM and the airport authority.  We provided flightline control, limited marshalling, first aid response, parking lot management and overnight "security".... it was a cadets dream.  The weekend has since blossmed into a huge event..... CAP is only a small part anymore

I would highly reccomend to any squadron to attend next year (either as a support to the CAP operation or just to see it)

Background:
Reading Regional Airport (aka Gen Carl Spaatz Field) was used as a AAC facility during WWII as a trainig base ( Reading Army Airfield and operated as a reserve base into the 50's.  The local CAP squadron has been there since the 60's occupying one of the remainig WWII constructed buildings (supposedly they once controlled the entire area that the MAAM sits on currently, todays buliding is the squadrons one time motor pool building)

WWII weekend occurs the first weekend of every June (aka D-Day weekend) originally showcasing the museums WWII aircraft and limited local area aircraft and some re-enactors)  Todays show brings in aircraft and re-enactors from around the country, there are huge static displays of every imaginable type from home front to hospitals to pacific to atlantic comabt locations American, British, Russian, German and Japanese units and equipment.  There is also a dedicated set up of WWII CAP costal patrol.http://www.maam.org/wwii/photos/reenactor/DSC02360.jpg     Lately they have been brining in a number of WWII guest speakers of both air and ground notarity (Enola gay and doolitle crewman, memebrs of Easy company etc etc)  Also there is a huge flee market of militaria.

I missed it thisyear due to reserve duty but supposedly this year they were supposed to roll out their P-61 with engine nacelles attached (the MAAM pride program is a P-61 restoration aiming to be back to flying status )

always a good time

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Jill

The P-61 Black Widow that is being restored at MAAM is the one my father flew.  I have been in contact with the Strines who own the museum and have provided them with photos of the plane before it crashed.

The P-61 hopefully will take its maiden flight in 2012, which I plan to attend.  There is now a book published by Sharon Wagner regarding the 550th Night Fighter Squadron and the P-61.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxCaaUBzc78 Posts merged - MIKE

sarmed1

***BUMP****
Coming up again at the end of the week, if you are local (or dont mind long drives) I would encourage  making a journey that way if WWII aviation (and just about anything else WWII) is an intrest of yours.  Shooting for Friday myself.....

mk

BGNightfall

I had a great deal of fun as a cadet at WWII Weekend (2001-2004).  Huge Kudos to Reading Composite Squadron for hosting and organizing the CAP aspect.  I highly recommend any members who can go to go!

Thrashed

I'll be there Saturday 2011. Why bump a year old thread when you can start a new one with the correct year?

Save the triangle thingy

sarmed1

...I missed the year in the title....ma bad

mk

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flyinsarge

I wish I could go, I LOVE WWII planes and related things, but alas I am in Washington. I will see if a friend of mine who does live there will go anyway.