National Powered Flight Academy

Started by A1Steaksauce, September 13, 2009, 02:40:17 AM

A1Steaksauce

so i am considering going to the national powered flight academy next summer, and i'd just like to hear some experiences. is it encampment like or more relaxed? how many cadets solo on average? cost? is it really worth it? stuff like that.

thanks.

DC

Nearly all NCSAs are far more relaxed than Encampment, and I'd suspect that NFA is among the more laid back.

It usually runs about $1000 for the activity fee, more information can be found here.

Whether it's worth it or not depends on who you are talking to. It's a great way to get a quick, shot-in-the-arm introduction to flying, but from what I've heard very few cadets that go to NFA continue their training at home. That's based on what I've heard from cadets that have gone, YMMV.

CFI_Ed

Cadet Solos: between 60 to 95% is usual.  Last three years, NFA-SWR soloed 11 to 15 out 20 attendees.  NFA is NOT a solo academy.  You are not guaranteed to solo, approach it with that in mind.

Is it worth it: 10 hours of dual and (maybe) solo time ($720), room and board and some ground instruction (remainder $280), meeting and making friends with other excellent/super cadets (priceless).

Remember, if you're selected as an alternate be flexible.  I was looking for alternates to fill primary slots four weeks before the start date for NFA-SWR.
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

Fly Boy

I was also thinking about doing a NFA this summer, can someone please tell me where to powered are, because right now the closest one to FL is the one in VA.

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

DC

Quote from: Fly Boy on September 18, 2009, 01:02:27 AM
I was also thinking about doing a NFA this summer, can someone please tell me where to powered are, because right now the closest one to FL is the one in VA.
It changes on a yearly basis depending on interest and funding. They should announce what activities are being hosted and where sometime in November.

Airrace

Sounds like a good event. Where is held at?

DC

Quote from: Airrace on September 18, 2009, 04:18:08 AM
Sounds like a good event. Where is held at?
There are several held all across the country. As for specifics, see my above post.

There's also a glider version.