Cadet Achievements 10, 14 & 15 Named - Eff 1 Oct 2019

Started by Eclipse, August 10, 2019, 09:30:34 PM

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Spam on August 14, 2019, 01:43:44 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 14, 2019, 01:26:36 PM
Quote from: baronet68 on August 13, 2019, 08:29:15 PM
Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on August 13, 2019, 06:22:08 PM
I'm just surprised that in all of that time, all 8 couldn't get done at the same time. Understandably getting next of kin permission is hard, but that just raises a whole set of other questions.

Personally, I'd like to see another 10-20 years pass before another achievement is named.  Reason being, there are probably people today with accomplishments impacting aviation in ways that aren't realized today. 

Who knows, we could end up with an Elon Musk achievement someday.  ;D

I don't think names should be kept on the docket solely as cadet Achievement-use.

Consider awards:
"The Elon Musk award for innovation and determination in the advancement of aerospace technology and study" --- Merely as an example

<GAG>

Mr. Musks reputation among industry engineers is far different, I assure you, than his reputation amongst the general public or those aviation fanboys who have his posters in their bedrooms.

V/r
Spam

Like I said....for example.

I mean, you could have a Jim Lovell award for facing adversity, or a Bessie Coleman flight scholarship.

My point is that we don't need to limit ourselves to believing that aerospace marvels are solely reserved for Cadet Programs.

If we're going to nitpick the traits of famous names in aerospace, Amelia Earhart was not as good of a pilot as others during her era. She happened to be romantically involved, and later married, a publisher; hence her publicity at the time.

But I don't think we should hold up naming achievements just because there may be more to come. If there's a future name out there in the industry, there are other ways to pay homage.

Most cadets don't even know the stories of the names of their achievements. Most Cadet Programs Officers don't know who Jack Sorenson is.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

MSG Mac

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on August 13, 2019, 09:35:45 PM
Quote from: NIN on August 13, 2019, 09:18:04 PM
Yeah I mean look what happened when they got all excited and named one after Frank Borman....

I'm kinda surprised they didn't re-roll the dice on that one for what became Eaker or one of the others...

Borman lost his glitter when he ran Eastern Airlines into bankruptcy
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Phil Hirons, Jr. on August 14, 2019, 06:37:41 PM
Never mind Billy Mitchell was court-martialed.

Come on now. Don't just toss the grenade and flee. At least mention that the court martial was due to him never wavering on the issue of air power and standing for his principles.

Also...he was also posthumously promoted to Major General on the retired list, had a bomber design named after him with neatly 10,000 produced, was awarded a posthumous Congressional Gold Medal, had a U. S. Navy shipped named after him, an airport named for him, etc. etc.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 15, 2019, 03:02:01 AM
Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on August 13, 2019, 09:35:45 PM
Quote from: NIN on August 13, 2019, 09:18:04 PM
Yeah I mean look what happened when they got all excited and named one after Frank Borman....

I'm kinda surprised they didn't re-roll the dice on that one for what became Eaker or one of the others...

Borman lost his glitter when he ran Eastern Airlines into bankruptcy

So he wasn't a great business leader. From his Wiki page alone, he was a great proponent of space flight.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on August 15, 2019, 10:09:47 AM
Quote from: Phil Hirons, Jr. on August 14, 2019, 06:37:41 PM
Never mind Billy Mitchell was court-martialed.

Come on now. Don't just toss the grenade and flee. At least mention that the court martial was due to him never wavering on the issue of air power and standing for his principles.

Also...he was also posthumously promoted to Major General on the retired list, had a bomber design named after him with neatly 10,000 produced, was awarded a posthumous Congressional Gold Medal, had a U. S. Navy shipped named after him, an airport named for him, etc. etc.

Indeed, most people mention the Court Martial as a point of honor instead of a negative all things considered. Many a CAP cadet and officer have been known to quote him as well when fighting a chain of command that keeps doing things wrong in the face of regs and common sense.