Flight encampment or flight school - Gliders

Started by xray328, July 20, 2015, 02:14:56 PM

xray328

Sorry if this is sort of a double post, I started one looking for glider schools, but now I'm just wondering our best option.

I found this close to home..

http://skysoaring.com/

Junior memberships is $250, tow fees are between $20-$40 each (1/2/3,000 feet)

With the flight scholarship available for $1500 (?) are we better off going to the encampments or the flight school?  $1500 would cover 50 tows to 2,000 feet.

MSG Mac

Most if not all flight Scholarships require pre-attendance at an encampment.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

xray328

Kids are both going on Friday.  Outside of that is there any advantage either way?

CAPRAT123

NER Glider School of Excellence all the way!!!
Cadet Chief Master Sergeant
NER-PA-338 Cadet Leadership Officer (2015-Incumbent)
NER-PA-338 CAC Representative (2015-Incumbent)
NER-PA-239 Flight Sergeant (2013-2014)
NER-PA-239 CAC Repersentative (2012-2013)
NER Honor Guard Graduate 2014
NER Glider Academy Graduate 2014

xray328

Why do you recommend it so highly? You can't solo at any of them the first time you go, is that right? Just making sure I have my facts straight because the ability to solo would definitely give the edge to the encampment. Used to be that way back in the day at our wing.

Spam

Xray,

what, are you looking to send your busted foot daughter to take glider instruction right after encampment?

Why, with the busted foot in a cast on the pedals, won't she bank left more than a NASCAR driver? *hee hee

Cheers,
Spam

FW

A glider academy will give you a good introduction to soaring, a better way to meet like minded cadets, and a great life experience.  A flight school will get you a license to fly gliders. 

So....?  ;D

CAPRAT123

Quote from: xray328 on July 21, 2015, 03:51:05 AM
Why do you recommend it so highly? You can't solo at any of them the first time you go, is that right? Just making sure I have my facts straight because the ability to solo would definitely give the edge to the encampment. Used to be that way back in the day at our wing.
No, you can't solo your first time through the Glider Academy. At NER Glider you do, I wanna a some 30-50 flights can't remember the exact amount, but it takes about two summers at the Academy before you can Solo. I just feel it doesn't make a difference, because hey. YOUR STILL SOARING!!!
Cadet Chief Master Sergeant
NER-PA-338 Cadet Leadership Officer (2015-Incumbent)
NER-PA-338 CAC Representative (2015-Incumbent)
NER-PA-239 Flight Sergeant (2013-2014)
NER-PA-239 CAC Repersentative (2012-2013)
NER Honor Guard Graduate 2014
NER Glider Academy Graduate 2014

xray328

Quote from: Spam on July 21, 2015, 06:05:44 AM
Xray,

what, are you looking to send your busted foot daughter to take glider instruction right after encampment?

Why, with the busted foot in a cast on the pedals, won't she bank left more than a NASCAR driver? *hee hee

Cheers,
Spam

Lol   ;D

She's 12, and can't wait to get in the air, I'm stuck paying for $40 rides at the local club with her until then. I'll probably start her lessons next year, her birthdays late November though, so she still can't be one of those soloed on her 14th birthday kids.  And maybe that's the advantage, she can take lessons sooner rather than waiting until she's 14 to start her training.

My son's 15, so he'd qualify.  He was off to a soccer game this morning, told him whatever he did, DO NOT injure yourself   ;D