Would attending the Lonestar ES Academy help with getting into Blue Beret?

Started by xray328, July 05, 2015, 03:10:39 AM

xray328

I've been told getting into any NCSA is based solely on a point system. That being said, would attending the Lonestar ES Academy help at all in regards to Blue Beret?

I see you have to be GES qualified, is it as simple as completing this, or is there more to it than that?

https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.LMS.Web/Quiz/quiz_start.aspx?qid=211

Thanks!

BFreemanMA

All the information regarding the slotting of NCSAs can be found here: http://www.ncsas.com/faqs/

Based on the FAQ, your attendance at any one NCSA does not appear to have any bearing on your acceptance to another (unless it were to add to your "prior activities" count). I also believe encampment is a prereq for all NCSAs except NESA, but encampment itself doesn't count against your 'prior activities.'

For GES, all the tasks required for any given qualification (such as GES) can be found on eServices. Your ESO or commander can point you in the right direction if you're not sure where to find them. On the GES SQTR, you'll see that cadets need to at least have their Curry and SMs need to have at least completed Level 1, and CAP Test 116 is completed with a passing score.

GES is exactly what it sounds like: general information on ES, such as what we can (or can't!) do, insurance coverage, liability, etc. It can be a bit dry, but it's an important backbone to ES participation.
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

lordmonar

Quote from: xray328 on July 05, 2015, 03:10:39 AM
I've been told getting into any NCSA is based solely on a point system. That being said, would attending the Lonestar ES Academy help at all in regards to Blue Beret?

I see you have to be GES qualified, is it as simple as completing this, or is there more to it than that?

https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.LMS.Web/Quiz/quiz_start.aspx?qid=211

Thanks!
Yes....getting selected for a NSCA slot is based solely on the points system and meeting the prereqs.   Going to LESA should be for the purpose of going to LESA and learning about ES...not padding your resume for something else.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

xray328

Ok thanks. In another post I saw:

Keep hammering on those ES quals, get as much ground team/DF'ing experience as you can between then and now... If you can get Flight Line Marshaller Qualified too, it would not hurt your chances of getting selected.

Would attending Lonestar possibly even hurt your chances since you'd lose points in the "prior NCSAs" category?

lordmonar

Yes....it would "hurt" you in that you lose 5 points vs someone who has no NCSAs.....but not really enough that I would not discourage you to go to LESA.

There are a lot of slots to NBB.....and if you don't go next year...there is always the year after that.

But yes you should keep hammering out those ES quals and getting GT and DF experience.....because that is part of being in CAP.

They don't look at any of those thing at the national level.   They may look at those things at the wing level...but I don't know how your wing does their selection boards.

Good luck.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP