Main Menu

Form 5

Started by Flying Pig, March 16, 2010, 07:24:52 PM

Flying Pig

I think this has been discussed before but Ill bring it up again.

Can I do a Form 5 with a civilian (non-CAP affiliated) CFII as long as the CFII uses the CAP Form 5 and checks it off and signs it?  I do IPC's every 6 months at work already.  Can I just give the Sheriff's Department contract CFII the Form 5 and have him sign off the maneuvers and then have that entered that into e-services?  This would be done in a non CAP Cessna 206.

Why would I do this?  Because its free thats why.  Now, I would imagine I could only do this twice, just like a CAP member can only use the same CAP CFII twice in a row.

tsrup

Short answer is no.

A CAP check pilot has to meet other qualifications as per CAPR 60-1 in order to sign off on a pilot's form 5.

Other requirements are also dependent on the aircraft you are attempting to receive a form 5 for.

Ref: CAPR 60-1
Paramedic
hang-around.

tsrup

Here's the pertaining excerpt

3-2. CAPF 5 Administration.
a.   A CAPF 5 flight check may be administered by a CAP check pilot, or it may be administered by a FAA Inspector, FAA designated check airman, FAA designated pilot examiner, or CAP-USAF flight examiner provided the individual administering the flight check completes and signs the CAPF 5 and the CAP specific items are verbally covered by a CAP Check Pilot who also signs the CAPF 5.
b.   Written approval is required from a wing or higher commander for a CAP pilot to complete more than two annual CAPF 5 flight checks in a row with the same CAP check pilot.

It appears that in order for an outside individual to do a Form 5 they have to be beyond the run of the mill CFII

hope this helps
Paramedic
hang-around.

Flying Pig

So I could do it if the civilian CFII is a DPE (which he is).  But then a CAP Check pilot would basically have to do the ground portion covering the CAP related items. 
It seemed convenient instead of flying across the state to meet up with a CAP check pilot since there are none in Central CA.

tsrup

If you have a DPE who is willing to do it for free and is more convenient then why not.  It appears that the 60-1 exam and the Aircraft questionnaire are mostly online anyways (I'm not sure about the 206). 

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of guidance on the questionnaire other than it needs to be completed within the preceding 60 days.

The thing here would be to make sure that whatever you do is well documented and on file along with approval from your wing as they will be the ultimate say on whether or not your form 5 is valid. 

Paramedic
hang-around.