official "I'm here!" thread.

Started by whatevah, March 24, 2005, 04:52:08 AM

C/ID-073

Hello, I've been in CAP for almost 5 years, but I'm new(ish) to the website. So, greetings from that state you never hear of (Idaho).
Semper Vigilans,
-C/Capt. Kubik
Cadet Executive Officer
Idaho - Boise Composite Squadron

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

Holding Pattern

Quote from: C/ID-073 on March 16, 2016, 07:40:44 PM
Hello, I've been in CAP for almost 5 years, but I'm new(ish) to the website. So, greetings from that state you never hear of (Idaho).
Semper Vigilans,
-C/Capt. Kubik

Idaho has a significant presence on this board.

Welcome aboard.

-Former cadet: RMR-ID-083

Garibaldi

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on March 16, 2016, 08:06:12 PM
Semper Vigilans,
-C/Capt. Kubik

Welcome aboard.

Idaho has what, 20 people? And they're all potato farmers.

Seriously, though....welcome.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Luis R. Ramos

No state has less people than Delaware, probably...

When I lived in Dover, Delaware I was interviewed for a library job in New Jersey. Any one NJ county has more residents than the entire state of DE. And there was a standard joke.

You live in Delawhere?

This is not to disparage the state.

I have fond memories of my time there, and sometimes I wish I had stayed there instead of moving to New York.

Forts Dupont, Delaware, and Miles... Although the historical section of Fort Miles was not as developed as it is today. New Castle Airport with a restaurant recreating the World War II feeling of the airport, there was even an ambulance. Believe this is long-gone...

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

RogueLeader

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on March 16, 2016, 09:43:16 PM

When I lived in Dover, Delaware I was interviewed for a library job in New Jersey. Any one NJ county has more residents than the entire state of DE. And there was a standard joke.

You live in Delawhere?

I have fond memories of my time there, and sometimes I wish I had stayed there instead of moving to New York.

Forts Dupont, Delaware, and Miles... Although the historical section of Fort Miles was not as developed as it is today. New Castle Airport with a restaurant recreating the World War II feeling of the airport, there was even an ambulance. Believe this is long-gone...

Wyoming ranks 50/50 on the population lists.  Sheep outnumber Humans. . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

C/ID-073

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 16, 2016, 09:23:02 PM
Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on March 16, 2016, 08:06:12 PM
Semper Vigilans,
-C/Capt. Kubik

Welcome aboard.

Idaho has what, 20 people? And they're all potato farmers.

Seriously, though....welcome.

20 people sounds about right. ;) Yes, us Idahoans always get the nick name "spud" or "tater tot" at encampment...
Thank you.
Cadet Executive Officer
Idaho - Boise Composite Squadron

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

SarDragon

Nope, not even close. That implies a New Jersey population approaching 21 million, and the latest number I have is 8.9 million (2015 estimate).

Delaware ranks 46th in population, at 945,934 (2015 estimate), and no county in NJ has that many people, although Bergen County comes close, at 905,116.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

I lived in Delaware 1988 through 1993 or 1995.

In 1988, Delaware entire population was 647,621. See https://www.google.com/search?q=delaware+1988+population&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

The same year, three NJ counties had as much if not more. Several other counties had each almost as much as Delaware alone. http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/lpa/dmograph/est/comp8090.htm

Bergen 831,443
Essex 799,595
Middlesex 662,448

Camden 499,896
Hudson 596,554
Monmouth 553,500
Union 498,961

You are right, though. New Jersey has 21 counties, Delaware 3.

Now do the same calculation for Idaho. Why did you confront me for my post re Delaware, but not Garibaldi's?

Squadron Safety Officer

PHall

Luis, play nice. They're "new". ::)

SarDragon

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on March 17, 2016, 01:27:40 AM
Now do the same calculation for Idaho. Why did you confront me for my post re Delaware, but not Garibaldi's?

I'll give you 1988 vs. 2015.

Regarding your Q - I lived in NJ for 13 years, and graduated HS there. You made claims more specific than Garibaldi's, as if to imply them as factual. I have never been to Idaho, so have little knowledge of the state. My experience with potato farmers was in the other potato state, Maine.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

THRAWN

You live in Delawhere?

Sadly, that restaurant is long gone. I live about a mile WSW of ILG and when I moved there was very excited that we were that close to it. Drat. Delaware has one of the best state and county park systems that I've ever seen. And unlike NJ, where I spent the first 35 years of my life, we don't just let anybody move here....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Garibaldi

Quote from: THRAWN on March 17, 2016, 12:47:42 PM

You live in Delawhere?

Sadly, that restaurant is long gone. I live about a mile WSW of ILG and when I moved there was very excited that we were that close to it. Drat. Delaware has one of the best state and county park systems that I've ever seen. And unlike NJ, where I spent the first 35 years of my life, we don't just let anybody move here....

I knew a guy in basic from Delaware...he had the weirdest accent.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

ColonelJack

Delaware has one of the best state and county park systems that I've ever seen.

And oddly enough, Delaware is the only state in the union that doesn't have a national park.

Regarding small-population states ... everybody knows that North Dakota only has 5 1/2 people living there.   ;D

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

RogueLeader

Quote from: ColonelJack on March 17, 2016, 02:50:36 PM

And oddly enough, Delaware is the only state in the union that doesn't have a national park.

Regarding small-population states ... everybody knows that North Dakota only has 5 1/2 people living there.   ;D

Jack

What can I say, my half-sister moved there last week.  Wyoming is down to 5 now.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Luis R. Ramos

Maine a potato state? Most people connect it to lobsters, not potatoes...

>:D

Squadron Safety Officer

Luis R. Ramos

No National Park in Delaware?  ???

See this link!

http://www.nps.gov/frst/index.htm

May be small, may not be as famous as Gateway National Park, but you can bet there is one!

;D

Squadron Safety Officer

THRAWN

Quote from: ColonelJack on March 17, 2016, 02:50:36 PM

Jack

Wrong. First State National Park is in Old New Castle.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

ColonelJack

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on March 17, 2016, 06:18:18 PM
No National Park in Delaware?  ???

See this link!

http://www.nps.gov/frst/index.htm

May be small, may not be as famous as Gateway National Park, but you can bet there is one!

;D

I stand corrected.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

SarDragon

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on March 17, 2016, 06:10:49 PM
Maine a potato state? Most people connect it to lobsters, not potatoes...

>:D

Quote from: Wikipedia, Aroostook County articleAroostook County is a county located in the U.S. state of Maine. As of the 2010 census, the population was 71,870. Its seat is Houlton.

Known locally in Maine simply as "The County," it is the largest American county by land area east of the Rocky Mountains (St. Louis County, Minnesota is larger by total area) and the largest county by total area in Maine. As Maine's northernmost county, its northernmost village, Estcourt Station, is therefore also the northernmost community in New England and in the contiguous United States east of the Great Lakes.

Aroostook County is known for its potato crops, as well as its Acadian culture.

According to my mom, Idaho potatoes are better for fries and smashed, while Maine potatoes are better for baking. YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

THRAWN

Dave your mom is a wise woman...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000