Encouraging local Law Enforcement to use your services?

Started by 321EOD, December 23, 2009, 02:46:54 AM

321EOD

I am currently working with our Sheriff's Office ES/SAR team to encourage them to use our services (both air and ground)

Other than the obvious  :) listed below, has anyone used any other methods/approaches?

regular liaison meetings
briefings between key resources on capabilities
providing key contact points for pre-alerts and liaison/advice during resourcing phase of an incident
starting joint training exercises
briefing and 'how to' document on activation procedures via AFRCC

Our local SO seems to be receptive to the growing relationship but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything (without being too pushy!)
Steve Schneider, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets (Retd!)
Thompson Valley Composite Squadron (CO-147)

RiverAux

Seems like a good start.  I'd probably first start by offering to help them do something (no matter what it is) even if it isn't immediatley beneficial to CAP.  Once you've actually put out some effort with no quid pro quo, they might feel a little more obligation to work with you on the really important stuff. 

Also think about expanding the same approach to counties surrounding yours (unless they already have a CAP unit in them) as there is no reason to limit yourself to just the home county. 

This is one area that CAP does a woefully poor job in (all cards on the table --- both when I was a squadron ES officer and squadron commander I didn't do anything along these lines either).  So, keep up the good work. 

Pylon

The "CAPabilities" handbook is a pretty good guide for outside customers on what CAP can reasonable offer and (often more importantly but less-often understood) how to request those CAP services.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

High Speed Low Drag

As a 18 year LE vet, and a LE commander, a couple of generalized tips.

1 - Realize the area you are targeting.  In large (over 100,000) cities / metro areas, it is hard to gain a foothold because these areas already have most of the resources CAP could offer.  Instead, primarily look at sheriff departments.  Most sheriffs have large area and fewer officers per sq mile.  Also, they are (generally) not as well funded as municipal police.

2 - Don’t get discouraged.  Remember that LE is vary wary of "outsiders."  Due to the nature of our job, we are very cynical, un-trusting folks (and have very much the "us vs. them" mentality).  We are also very "fact" based.  Research your target agency and area.  First, analyze what type of (realistic) services your squadron(s) could offer.  Then see if there is a need for those services.  Request call statistics for the agency so you can see how many calls they have where your services could be utilized.  Then put together a briefing using the data.  Data speaks to LE.

3 -  Be prepared to “work your way up” the chain.  A lot of times, the chief / sheriff will direct a command staff officer to review the information before the head honcho will listen to it.  Use that opportunity to ask questions of the command staff officer as well as ask if they have any suggestions about the proposal.  Remember that, unlike the military, all command staff officers (and most chiefs/sheriffs) started out as a district (beat) officer and worked their way up; their inner knowledge can point to things you may not have even considered.  If they buy into the plan it will grease a lot of wheels.

4 -  Do not go in there thinking that you are the cat’s meow.  Be humble, be professional, and be prepared to answer a lot of questions (remember that what a cop does, is ask a lot of questions).  If you don’t know, flat out say you don’t know.  DO NOT TRY TO BLOW SMOKE.  We are so used to people lying to us that we can tell if a person is fudging answers.  It is better to say “We can’t do that” then to say you can only to not be able to perform when called.  (Think credibility)

Another suggestion is for wing to contact the state’s Sheriff’s Association.  Find out when the yearly (or bi-yearly) conference is and see if you could set up a booth.  That is the best way to see sheriffs (and the chief deputies) all at one time.

There are many other LEOs on the board that can probably offer advice as well.  This kind of thing can vary from state / area to the next.  If anyone would like more info, feel free to PM me.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

Smithsonia

321EOD;
We are working the same problem but from the Denver Area. Let's keep in touch on these matters - so we don't reinvent the bi-plane.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

bosshawk

High Speed Low Drag has made some very valid points.  I have worked with local, state and federal law enforcement very closely for the last six to eight years and what he says is right on target.  I am not an LE officer and never have been, but I have been in the intelligence business pretty steadily since 1962.  Given my CAP experience in the CD world, I have developed a fair feel for what works and what doesn't.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

Quote from: Smithsonia on December 23, 2009, 05:03:32 AM
321EOD;
We are working the same problem but from the Denver Area. Let's keep in touch on these matters - so we don't reinvent the bi-plane.

^And keep in mind for you Colorado people, Colorado Springs PD just lost their Air Unit.

High Speed summed it up pretty good.  A thing I would offer is be very aware of who you take to your meetings.  Preferably someone with an LE, military or Fire EMS background so they can talk the language.  People who are not in those professions usually take offense when I say that, but people in like minded professions relate to each other and at the start adds some credibility.
Keep it to 1-2 people.  The person you are contacting isnt looking to be bombarded with a show and tell by five members who had nothing to do that day. 
Do some historical research.  If the local agency has used CAP in the past, find out why they used them and how it went.  My department used CAP in the past, MANY years ago, and one member (who has since move on) botched it.  When some in my agency found out I was in CAP, I got some snickers.  However, with some recent operations, that vision of CAP is quickly changing thanks to Bosshawk and his band of merry men (and woman).
When you talk about expenses, I wouldn't use the word "free" but explain how the USAF pays the expenses and that we take care of all of the paperwork.  "Free" sounds unprofessional.    Be prepared to explain the qualifications of your people and the standards we need to maintain.  LE is very big on perishable skills.  Background checks.  Letting them know how we police ourselves and that not just anyone can join CAP.
Talk about the Counter Drug Program as well if you have access to a plane.  You can mention that border states use CAP to patrol the Mexican border.  Again, adds credibility when they find out that other agencies already use CAP.

321EOD

WOW! - thanks for all the great responses and advice. This is encouraging on several levels...

1. It's reinforced the fact that I'm at least on the right track!
2. It's added some valuable considerations for my next meetings
3. CAPTALK is a great resource which is sometimes used primarily as a forum to complain about how 'bad' things are. In the case of this post I have received nothing but GREAT advice from people that have either been down this path already, or have been on the receiving end!

I totally agree with the previous comments about treading softly and carefully. Luckily we are in a good position to build on a relationship:
1. Our Squadron's 'patch' primarily covers a large County - so we're liaising with a Sheriff's Office that doesn't own air assets and has a lot of terrain to cover (incl pointy green stuff - which is currently white!)
2. The local SAR agency is VERY friendly and a highly regarded community asset
3. A couple of Squadron members are also SAR volunteers

Thanks again and keep the advice coming - I'll try and keep this post active as we make progress and I hope this information will be helpful to others who are trying to raise awareness of this country's 'best kept secret'!

Merry Xmas all - and as the big boss lady would say - "STAY SAFE!"

321EOD

ooh - one more thing - primarily aimed at cadet/composite squadron ES folks.......

getting cadets involved in GSAR with local agencies isn't impossible - obviously the biggest hurdle is overcoming the LEA's natural tendency to resist having 'kids' out on a mission.

Our squadron's GSAR capability is predominently cadets and this is what I've learnt so far:

Don't go in empty handed - wait until you have the capability to field AT LEAST one well trained Ground Team and be able to self sustain (transport/logistics/equipment). Have this before offering your services

Take heed of "High Speed's" observations and recommendations

I will also post the content of a PM I received yesterday - very helpful

321EOD

I received this in a PM yesterday - sound advice and something we have done previously and will continue to do.

A real benefit to our clients is the opportunity to show them our capabilities and competency in a training environment - gives them the chance to 'try before they buy'!

Content of PM:

Invite representative from your sherrif or whoever to come out and observe a CAP exercise.

Invite representatives from your sheriff or whoever to come out and *PARTICIPATE* in a CAP hosted exercise.

Be careful, however...
a) the exercise should be *designed* as more of a sales pitch of CAP to the potential customer.  No 'training' here, this is rehearsal.  Think 'dog and pony show'.

b) showing them the wrong thing can do just as much damage as showing them the right thing can be helpful...  make sure when you invite potential customers that you are showing them the right thing.

Find a way to stress CAP as a force provider and nothing more.  Sheriff has to get re-elected every some years...  CAP needs to make sure to let them take credit for CAP's work.  We aren't in it for the limelight, we are in it for the privilege of being involved in important work, and maybe the knowledge that we helped save life or property.  Let the politicians take the positive media.

RADIOMAN015

Realistically, I guess the real questions that also needs to be asked & resolved BEFORE ANY participation  is who is paying for CAP participation/assistance to local public safety authorities?   IF something goes wrong who is legally responsible?  IF a CAP member is injuried or killed who/what financial support is provided?

IF we can't get at least the same protections as afford with AF designated missions, than at least from my standpoint, it would be better not to participate (because you can bet if any of those paid public safety employees get hurt or killed, there will be subtantial benefits paid).
RM 

321EOD

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on December 24, 2009, 03:39:44 PM
Realistically, I guess the real questions that also needs to be asked & resolved BEFORE ANY participation  is who is paying for CAP participation/assistance to local public safety authorities?   IF something goes wrong who is legally responsible?  IF a CAP member is injuried or killed who/what financial support is provided?

IF we can't get at least the same protections as afford with AF designated missions, than at least from my standpoint, it would be better not to participate (because you can bet if any of those paid public safety employees get hurt or killed, there will be subtantial benefits paid).
RM

Agreed - we are acting as a force multiplier for our local LE SAR group. They pre-alert us directly but we dont deploy until approved by AFRCC - either with an AF mission number or a Corporate mission approved by Wing.

Wing corporate missions still provide workers comp coverage - although I don't know if that is National or State based

Flying Pig

If they know about CAP, be prepared to answer questions about how cadets participate, if at all.  If the agency has an explorer post, using that as a reference would be good.  Police explorers operate in a similar manner as CAP cadets do.  However, I would say CAP cadets are much more restrictive.  If they don't bring it up, I wouldn't, but if they do, have a response for how/if CAP cadets will participate in Sheriff SAR/CAP ops.

JK657

Has anyone ever been given a list of high priority locations or possible terrorist locations (large malls, chemical plants, water supply ) and checked on them during a flight to look for suspicious activity?

Not a directed activity but more of a, "Hey while you're up in the air can you cruise past these locations or keep an eye out?"

RiverAux

I'm not aware of any workers comp for CAP corporate missions in general.  Perhaps if the corporate mission is being performed for a state agency and there is some sort of state law or other agreement covering CAP, you would be covered.  Other than that you're talking some very basic CAP corporate medical insurance. 

lordmonar

Well,

any activities with local or state agencies must be coordinated through the wing.

When doing that you create the MOU that will answer all these concerns.

Who pays for what.

What can and can't CAP do.

If it s a C Mission then will the state/city/count offer insurance or workers comp?

An understanding by all particpants that AFAMs take priority over all other missions.

Get with your Wing ES Officer to work out these issues and get an MOU going...then have fun.  Good Luck!

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Actually, it seems like we're being discouraged from developing MOUs with local agencies in favor of them just calling NOC.  Back in the old days when there were all sorts of crazy local MOUs with various ways of calling for CAP help, it made sense.  But, pretty much anything we do today is going to have to be approved by NOC for each sortie anyway, an MOU isn't really necessary.

Obviously, CAP is still required to have an MOU with the state emergency management agency.

But, in terms of local MOUs, they wouldn't serve much operational purpose anymore, but could help solidify the relationship.

sdcapmx

On the Wing level we have presented at numerous State Emergency Manager conferences which helps.  I have recently contacted the State Sheriffs Assn and the State Police Officers Assn.  They are going to give CAP a 1 hour block for presentation at their next annual conference.  I also have a request in to the State Fire Chiefs Assn for presentation to them.  We already have pretty good relations with numerous LE groups in the state and also have made contact with tribal groups and have done work for one of the tribes in our state.  Most of our work is aerial photography but we also have been called upon for missing persons searches to provide aerial recon and have been called out for traffic control watch for a major event in our area.  We had a deputy in the back seat for the traffic watch who then radioed to the ground personnel any issues he noticed with traffic flow.

sdcapmx

An additional thought.  Once we touch base on the state level the squadrons really need to continue to stay in touch with the agencies in their area.  Foster a good relationship without being overbearing and when called upon we need to respond quickly and professionally.  We may only get one chance to prove ourselves if we screw it up.  Members must be willing to fit into the ICS structure already set up and ideally provide an agency liason to sit in the EOC with the rest of the team.

Recently we had a large winter storm move through over Christmas.  As wing DO I sent out an email reminder a couple days ahead of the storm reminding all of our aerial resources for possible search efforst for stranded motorists and also mentioned our ground team capabilities.  Obviously we will not deploy during the height of the storm but major snowstorms are often followed by good flying weather.