Comms question - reporting a find over the radio?

Started by 321EOD, November 08, 2009, 12:50:13 AM

arajca

Quote from: RiverAux on November 08, 2009, 06:02:52 PM
The takeaway is that you do it however you are briefed before the flight as there is no set standard.
For the non-flyboys, change 'flight' to 'sortie'.

Flying Pig

Quote from: 321EOD on November 08, 2009, 05:46:23 PM
HELP! - my post has been highjacked as an 'encryption discussion'  :'( :D

My take away from this is:

It is ok to report a find over the radio 'in clear' but give the minimum detail required to communicate the situation. Allow Mission Base/IC to ask the questions if more info is needed.

Sound good?

As someone who does this for a living, I would say your right on.

SarMaster

Hey Guys...We are already using crypto...  and yes we have keyloaders, and OTAR Modems!!
Semper Gumby!

SarMaster

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 08, 2009, 08:56:36 PM

It is ok to report a find over the radio 'in clear' but give the minimum detail required to communicate the situation. Allow Mission Base/IC to ask the questions if more info is needed.

Sound good?

As someone who does this for a living, I would say your right on.

I agree...Too many times the CAP Radio turns into a HAM net.  Just give me the meat and potatoes of the message.  Too many times we go on and on about stuff that should be short and sweet. 
Semper Gumby!

RiverAux

There is a letter about CAP radio encryption issues at the top of the new items list in eservices if anyone is interested. 

lordmonar

Sound good?

Not only is it okay....but you must send it in the clear.  I would simply report that you found the target and the wait for Mission Base to ask for details.....assuming you don't request immediate medical assitance.

If there are no immediate life saving actions need to be taken......set your perimiter and wait for the cops/NTSB to arrive and take control of the site.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RicL

Quote from: RiverAux on November 09, 2009, 11:36:26 PM
There is a letter about CAP radio encryption issues at the top of the new items list in eservices if anyone is interested.

Good catch, I hadn't noticed it and that's some freaky timing. Maybe I should wave to Maj Gen Courter.. *waves*

Johnny Yuma

If any of you are ground pounders, this is an Epic Fail on NHQ's ES people.

Go find a copy of the Mission BAse Staff Task book and look up L-0009, reporting a clue or find. In there it give details to send a Sierra reportwhen you stumble across stuff, like clues, downed aircraft, dead bodies, etc.

Now compare all the Comm related tasks in that book against the GT book. Notice things like steps to regain comm, radio checks, etc. aren't in the GT book. Well, they used to be until 2005 when the brains(?) at Soggy Bottom AFB, Alabama changed it.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven: