Advanced ICS
2 (7.4%)
Team Leader
3 (11.1%)
Mission AirCrew
11 (40.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Short Field

Anyone doing basic or advanced ICS?  Or have done them?  I have applied for advanced ICS.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

SJFedor

Quote from: Short Field on March 21, 2008, 02:45:57 AM
Anyone doing basic or advanced ICS?  Or have done them?  I have applied for advanced ICS.

I had a beer with the ICS advanced class.....  ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Short Field

I asked a friend about the extra expenses in attending NESA.  He was there last year doing ground qualifications.  He said there were next to no additional expenses except that the ICS students tended to spend a lot of time in the club...  ;D

I would love to take the MP course but it is offered at the same time as the advanced ICS.  If they were offering it the first week I would be there.   I am a IC3 trainee and MP trainee now and would love to get some training at the "source".
Wilson #2640

husker

Quote from: N Harmon on March 20, 2008, 08:00:20 PM
What is/was the deadline for 2008 NESA applications?

Applications will be taken up to somewhere around the beginning of June.  However,  all apps must be approved by your unit/group (if applicable)/Wing commanders before they will be accepted.  This is also dependent on whether or not there are slots available in the school to which you have applied.
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

flyguy06

I signed up for the new MAS on Jul 26

SJFedor

Quote from: Short Field on March 21, 2008, 03:16:32 AM
I asked a friend about the extra expenses in attending NESA.  He was there last year doing ground qualifications.  He said there were next to no additional expenses except that the ICS students tended to spend a lot of time in the club...  ;D

I would love to take the MP course but it is offered at the same time as the advanced ICS.  If they were offering it the first week I would be there.   I am a IC3 trainee and MP trainee now and would love to get some training at the "source".

I've been talking w/ the MAS commandant. Apparantly they're going to do TWO sessions of MAS. So, I'd recommend you get in contact w/ the MAS commandant, Maj. Eric Templeton, and see what can be arranged. I know that some of my guys from TN have already gotten emails asking if they wanted to switch to the 1st week.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

Short Field

Thanks for the heads up.  E-mail has been sent.   ;D
Wilson #2640

New applicants for week 1 won't be accepted for a few weeks.  They want to see how many of us from week 2 will transfer to week 1 first.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Short Field

I am IN!   ;D

Got an email from Maj Templeton that they had opened up the standard MP class to the first week.  Just finished paying for Session 1.

Now I need to look at airfares.   :(
Wilson #2640

SJFedor

Quote from: Short Field on March 23, 2008, 01:26:26 AM
I am IN!   ;D

Got an email from Maj Templeton that they had opened up the standard MP class to the first week.  Just finished paying for Session 1.

Now I need to look at airfares.   :(

Welcome. Maybe I'll be your instructor.

Start reading the MART now.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Short Field

Is that the same as the Mission Aircrew Reference Test ?  The one that gives you a 404 error - page not found - when you click the link on the CAP Nat. Hq site?
Wilson #2640

SJFedor

www.cap-es.net // NESA-MAS, the MART is in there along with the IFG and all the other toys we use.

cap-es.net is run by another fellow NESA-MAS instructor.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

nesagsar

Quote from: capes on March 20, 2008, 04:30:01 PM
OK.  I'm new here, but let me get this straight....

You go to NESA for a year (prior to 2005) and become qualified in some specialty (probably some GTM).  Then you get accepted for staff for the 2005 activity, get accepted, then have a falling out with your unit and leave CAP.  (And you are on a CAP forum three years later).

"I offer my services every year but I always get the same answer, I would have to join CAP again"

Exactly how are you "offering your services" and to whom????   Applications for NESA are done electronically through the NTC site;  one must actually be a member to apply.  Also, I am curious as to what "services" you believe you can offer that the many other experienced staff members that currently staff all the schools at NESA can't provide?

I also saw you posted some laughable comments on this thread:
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=3692.msg87858

You give NESA grads a bad name with that trash.  I've known some really good folks from NESA, and others who aren't so good - its just like most activies in CAP

I graduated NGSAR Basic in 2003 and NGSAR Advanced in 2004. In Basic I was on the honor team. I was accepted to a staff position in 2005 but the administrative problems in my squadron, group, and wing led me to leave CAP.

I occasionaly trade emails with Lt. Col Desmarias, we talk about how the academy is going and I wish everyone a good year.

I never stated that I was better than anyone out at the academy, I have learnes a few tricks that are usefull in the field for man tracking and wilderness survival, etc...

You call my comments on the NCSA board laughable. That is exactly what I was going for. If you can not accept that the graduates of a NCSA have a feeling of professional pride then I think you will have a hard time in your CAP career when you have to work with cadets that have been to NCSA's. You also have no concept of sarcasm or a sense of humor.

I found a really cool black wheelbarrow with VHF radios and a stretcher mount. It even has a place to store my reflective vest. A wheelbarrow truly for for a NESA grad. My only problem is keeping those Hawk Mountain people away from it!

Short Field

Quote from: SJFedor on March 24, 2008, 03:42:00 AM
www.cap-es.net // NESA-MAS, the MART is in there along with the IFG and all the other toys we use.

Thanks.  I had downloaded the last version from cap-es.net but didn't know how "offical" the stuff on the site was.

As in a lot of CAP stuff, it is the membership that makes it happen.   ;D
Wilson #2640

Short Field

Quote from: SJFedor on March 23, 2008, 08:29:51 PM
Welcome. Maybe I'll be your instructor.

I'll be easy to spot - I look just like John Wayne when he was 39.
Wilson #2640

Short Field

Oops.  Disregard the last post.  I mistook a old movie poster for a mirror....  ;D
Wilson #2640

Horn229

Quote from: nesagsar on March 24, 2008, 05:44:08 AM
I graduated NGSAR Basic in 2003 and NGSAR Advanced in 2004. In Basic I was on the honor team. I was accepted to a staff position in 2005 but the administrative problems in my squadron, group, and wing led me to leave CAP.

I wouldn't brag about your experiences in Basic GSAR if I were you. I've got a few things I could say about you in that second session of Basic.

QuoteI never stated that I was better than anyone out at the academy, I have learnes a few tricks that are usefull in the field for man tracking and wilderness survival, etc...

Man tracking tricks? Like calling experts in man tracking? I hope so, as there hasn't been a formal course taught on the subject at NESA as of yet.

Wilderness survival? At GSAR you learn how to make a shelter with supplies from your gear, and that's pretty much it. You didn't learn how to track, trap, kill or prepare any animals of the wild for food, and you never put into practice how to filter water. So please, tell me what you learned in wilderness survival training.
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

nesagsar

QuoteI never stated that I was better than anyone out at the academy, I have learned a few tricks that are usefull in the field for man tracking and wilderness survival, etc...

Man tracking tricks? Like calling experts in man tracking? I hope so, as there hasn't been a formal course taught on the subject at NESA as of yet.

Wilderness survival? At GSAR you learn how to make a shelter with supplies from your gear, and that's pretty much it. You didn't learn how to track, trap, kill or prepare any animals of the wild for food, and you never put into practice how to filter water. So please, tell me what you learned in wilderness survival training.
[/quote]

I never said that I learned all of my skills at NESA. Since I left CAP I have been on a search team at the county level in IL and I have been a member of IMERT since 2006.  I also managed to earn Eagle Scout rank in scouts, certified as an EMT-Basic, and earned an Associates degree. Another two semesters and I will have my Bachelors degree. I managed all of this and I am not even 21 yet.

I dont see what the controversy is, all I said is that I would like to help out. For a volunteer orginization CAP is doing a very good job of turning down volunteers.

SJFedor

Quote from: Short Field on March 24, 2008, 10:49:38 PM
Quote from: SJFedor on March 24, 2008, 03:42:00 AM

Thanks.  I had downloaded the last version from cap-es.net but didn't know how "offical" the stuff on the site was.

As in a lot of CAP stuff, it is the membership that makes it happen.   ;D

Lt Col Lanis is really the guy that does all the updates on the IFG and MART and all. So, if it's on there, it's what you'll be recieving in your materials packet when you arrive at MAS.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

SJFedor

Quote from: nesagsar on March 26, 2008, 06:18:58 AM
I dont see what the controversy is, all I said is that I would like to help out. For a volunteer orginization CAP is doing a very good job of turning down volunteers.

Dude, I'm honestly getting sick of you complaining about this. You know the rules; if you want to play, be a member. If you're not a member, you can't play.

Simple as that.

So either join back up, or go back to playing with your wheelbarrow, but for everyone's sake, please:

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver