Advanced ICS
2 (7.4%)
Team Leader
3 (11.1%)
Mission AirCrew
11 (40.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Horn229

Is it your only poncho? If so, then no. Here's a break down of how a bivouac day in the basic school will go...

1130: Transport
1200: Lunch (MRE)
1230: Set up shelters
1300: Land Nav
1730: Dinner (MRE)
1830: Night Nav
2200: Lights Out

There's only a limited amount of time you'll be near the bivouac site. Depending on the goals of staff running the course, you'll stay in  the field until you complete your objective, which I've seen take 'til 0200. At 0200, you'll want your campsite set up, so you can return and crash. If you've only got the one poncho, you won't be wanting to set up a shelter at 0200.

Then there are the days when we get light - monderate rain throughout the day. If you've only got the one poncho, then you're 72 hour gear will get soaked.

In Advanced, it's slightly different...

0700: Transport
0730: Set up shelters
0800: Briefing
0830: begin mission... etc

In advanced you may leave one morning after breakfast and not return to the barracks area until lunch the following day, and then it's right back out into the field for a repeat of the day before. During that time, you may leave your shelter up, or break it down to get the practice in setting it up again a few hours later.

Basically, if you've got a poncho or rain gear to keep you from getting wet during the day, then you'll be fine with the gortex one as the shelter.
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

Ok, so two tarps it is. BUt what should I do as a tent is mentioned as part of the gear for 72 hour.

Horn, is it easy to get an instructor to help me with a few extra tasks for the GTL track during Advanced GSAR?  I'd stick around for the GTL school the following week, but I'm set to be in MAS and would like to see if I can get the last few tasks done for that too.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

I've reset the count and added all the options for NESA to see where in the frey we're all going to be.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

ladyreferee

I graduated from GTL this last year.  My son attended Basic the year before and said that he wished he had had a tarp instead of his poncho because of potential mud, coverings for the poison ivy on the ground, and being able to keep lots of stuff off the ground.  He attended advanced at the same I did GTL.  We both brought tarps and it worked well as it rained alot and I kept my stuff dry in the 'tent' with me!  Get a big enough one and you have a ground cloth too - since we practically set up in the dark, I didn't see the poison ivy I slept on top of but the tarp covered it anyway!  I could also put my boots in the tent with me so I didn't have to wonder about bugs crawling or rain in them -
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

_

I've heard from several NESA staff that a hammock is the best option so you're up off the ground away from the creepy crawlies and such.  If it rains you can rig up a tarp over it.  Other things will have to be done about protecting gear but if nothing else you can throw it in a trash bag to keep it dry.

Horn229

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on December 26, 2007, 06:45:58 PM
Ok, so two tarps it is. BUt what should I do as a tent is mentioned as part of the gear for 72 hour.

Horn, is it easy to get an instructor to help me with a few extra tasks for the GTL track during Advanced GSAR?  I'd stick around for the GTL school the following week, but I'm set to be in MAS and would like to see if I can get the last few tasks done for that too.

We don't look at a tent as "gear", so no one will really care. And since you'll be making a shelter, a tent is just extra weight, or will be using up space in the barracks.

Ya, if you've completed all of your other tasks for GTM 2 & 1, someone should be willing to work with you on the remaining few tasks. Your best bet will be to go to an FTA (senior member) as most of the CTA's (cadets) are under 17 and therefore do not have GTL themselves.
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

Sweet sounds like a plan.  I do know someone who I believe is going to be there as an FTA he was last year. He's my unit's old ES officer now he's transfered to another unit.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

IceNine

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on December 26, 2007, 06:45:58 PM

FYI-for those interested Menards has 5.5 x 7.5 tarps "Laminated with a polyethylene coating, reinforced corners and rust- resistant grommets. Silver/green reversible"

for 3.98 Buy one get one free

Runs till 30 Dec 2007... I have a few of them great tarps and perfect size for a shelter
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Fifinella

All right, boys and girls, it's getting to be that time of year again.  Who's going to NESA or considering going to NESA this year? 

We had a good FUNKY :P time in NGSAR last year.  (Some of you may remember the picture of my BDU blouse standing under its own strength.) 

Who's in for this year, and which week are you planning to go?

(Fifinella is currently running a 75% chance of being there.)

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

SJFedor

What, you didn't like the last 4 page topic about NESA 2008??

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=3293.0

:o :o :o

I'll be there, MAS instructor.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Well earlier I said I was doing Mission Air Crew and Advanced GSAR, but plans have changed.  Still doing Advanced GSAR but instead of Air Crew, I'm going to be doing GTL instead.   

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

flyguy06

I would like to do Mission Aircrew Seems like this thread is mostly GSAR though

Well before I reset the vote count to be more specific of what school it was fairly even. 

I only opted out of Mission Air Crew because my unit needs a GTL. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Fifinella

Quote from: SJFedor on February 06, 2008, 07:37:01 AM
What, you didn't like the last 4 page topic about NESA 2008??

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=3293.0

:o :o :o

I'll be there, MAS instructor.
Thanks, Mod.

Sorry for the redundancy.  Missed this one.  You wouldn't believe the chaos that is my life right now - not least of which is that the AF is evicting my squadron from the space we've occupied for 20 years - but I don't wanna hijack this thread.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Fifinella

Quote from: Horn229 on December 17, 2007, 02:25:12 PM
The TL school is only there to train in GTL. GTM 2 and 1 require four more tasks, which can be completed if the CTA/FTA is willing to sign off, but GTM 2/1 are not a goal of the school.
From the website:http://ngsar.homestead.com/team.html
QuoteThose completing the course successfully will be eligible for their CAPF 101 ground team qualification (GTM1, UDF, GTL) and senior ground team badge.
With all due respect, last year we earned UDF, GTM2, GTM1, and GTL as part of our training, and left qualified to lead all three levels of ground teams.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Fifinella

Quote from: floridacyclist on December 24, 2007, 02:02:17 PM
Living in a swamp that hits 105 on a regular basis in the Summer makes me wonder if y'all have any idea what real heat/humidity is like LOL
Gene,
It's not as bad up there as it is where we're at, but it was still pretty unpleasant.  Esp. in BDUs and ponchos. :P
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Quote from: Fifinella on February 06, 2008, 06:44:49 PM
Quote from: floridacyclist on December 24, 2007, 02:02:17 PM
Living in a swamp that hits 105 on a regular basis in the Summer makes me wonder if y'all have any idea what real heat/humidity is like LOL
Gene,
It's not as bad up there as it is where we're at, but it was still pretty unpleasant.  Esp. in BDUs and ponchos. :P

Ponchos?   We don't need no stinking ponchos.  :p

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

SAR-EMT1

I would like to go to MAS but I doubt that I could afford it.
How hard is it to make MO if the only experience I have is cadet O-flights?
(And MS)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student