Lack of ES response

Started by 754837, April 16, 2012, 04:58:06 PM

LTC Don

Quote from: Woodsy on April 18, 2012, 06:07:50 PMWe have found here locally that a great way of nurturing that relationship is to attend training classes and events ran by the EMA.  For example, ICS 300 and 400 classes, position specific ICS classes (like PIO, branch directors, etc.)  Also things like annual hurricane or mass trauma exercises (cadets make great "bodies.")

I am in a major metro area, where the full time paid emergency responders number around 8K between sworn LEO and fire, so it's hard to get a face to face with the EMA director, who here happens to be the chief of the fire/rescue dept.  However, he always makes an appearance at ICS classes and usually teaches at least one of the days personally.  With a class size of 30 or so, it's easy to walk up to him on one of the breaks and chat a bit.  I was actually surprised to find out he knew as much as he did about CAP when I talked to him during my ICS 300 and 400 classes last December.  I exchanged business cards with him and several other chiefs who were teaching the class, as well as many of the students, who were mostly captains and above from police and fire.  We also had a couple Marine fleet protection guys, CG, Navy, and more.  I've kept in touch with many of them and our relationship with the EMA has grown because of it.  We've been invited to participate in more events now.

My point is that these training classes and events are a good way to have your uniform seen.  They see it enough times, and are impressed with your actions, and they will come looking for you.  It also gives you a chance to network on the peer-to-peer level with fellow classmates, who often will find themselves in high level roles a year or 2 after the ICS 300-400 classes.  Here, most of them are taking it because it's a pre-req to take the chief's test.

Well Done!  :clap:

That's the way it needs to be done, and with commitment, and perseverence.  The more members you motivate to take inter-service courses like ICS, the more the dividends it will pay out as other agencies see you and become more comfortable with you.  As I mentioned before, the more FEMA-speak we do, the more our utilization will be.

The only unfortunate thing is with our current culture, you'll have to drag your members into those classes kicking and screaming but eventually, as you state, it will be worth the effort.  8)
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

LTC Don

Current CAP Volunteer - 1st Air Force Commander - Page 16.  Worth reading.

http://cap.imirus.com/Mpowered/book/vcap12/i2/p1

"CAP also needs to continue to maintain and grow relationships at the local, state, and federal levels."

CAPP-213, Emergency Services Officer Training Guide  15FEB98
Second bullet statement under Position Description, on Page 2:
"Develop working relationships with local agencies responsible for search and rescue, disaster relief, and other local emergencies."  < This would also be in accordance with CFR Title 36, mentioned above in several posts.
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

sardak

QuoteThe more members you motivate to take inter-service courses like ICS, the more the dividends it will pay out as other agencies see you and become more comfortable with you.
Very true. Unfortunately, too many of our members and units don't invite outside agencies to "our" classes or want classes tailored to CAP. Doing these really defeats this purpose of agencies getting to know one another. Despite this, in our presentations and handouts to other agencies we point out that CAP members "have ICS and NIMS training from IS-100/700 through ICS-400 in accordance with NIMS requirements."

As a point of reference, they are Titles 10 and 36 of the US Code (USC), not Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). It's a distinction that only lawyers could love, because it doesn't matter when the feds are putting the cuffs on you:
The United States Code (USC) is the codification by subject matter of the general and permanent laws of the United States.
The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government.
Violating something in the CFR generally leads to something in the USC.

Mike

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Woodsy on April 18, 2012, 06:07:50 PM
My point is that these training classes and events are a good way to have your uniform seen.  They see it enough times, and are impressed with your actions, and they will come looking for you.  It also gives you a chance to network on the peer-to-peer level with fellow classmates, who often will find themselves in high level roles a year or 2 after the ICS 300-400 classes.  Here, most of them are taking it because it's a pre-req to take the chief's test.
Excellent points.  I will add one thing.  If anyone chooses to wear a CAP uniform to such classes, please please please, for bogs sake PLEASE wear that uniform correctly.  A sharp appearance is mandatory.  Unless relationships are already strong, anyone who shows up looking like a clown will ruin the very relationships we want to develop. No, this isn't becoming a uniform thread.  But conducting oneself professionally in such classes is a minimum expectation. 
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Woodsy

Quote from: wuzafuzz on April 19, 2012, 12:10:07 AM
Excellent points.  I will add one thing.  If anyone chooses to wear a CAP uniform to such classes, please please please, for bogs sake PLEASE wear that uniform correctly.  A sharp appearance is mandatory.  Unless relationships are already strong, anyone who shows up looking like a clown will ruin the very relationships we want to develop. No, this isn't becoming a uniform thread.  But conducting oneself professionally in such classes is a minimum expectation.
Absolutely! These are look and act your best situations. The goal here is to impress people, and earn credibility.  Looking the part goes a long way in doing that.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Woodsy on April 19, 2012, 01:34:52 AM
Quote from: wuzafuzz on April 19, 2012, 12:10:07 AM
Absolutely! These are look and act your best situations. The goal here is to impress people, and earn credibility.  Looking the part goes a long way in doing that.
And be punctual, and respectful of the instructor.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on April 18, 2012, 04:43:08 PMThe AFRCC told us that in Washington the state does their own DF'ing for missing aircraft.  Bad for WAWG, but that's only 1/52 of our total organization.

Correctamundo. Washington State gives zero ($0) to WAWG, CAP and they expect nothing. I am guessing the Sheriff's Association wants it that way too. That gives them more money in their budget.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on April 18, 2012, 04:43:08 PM
OK, fine.

But you've made the same assertion several times with no suggestion as to the fix.

DR is ES, and we're heavily involved all over the country, where we aren't, it's generally because of local failings or local politics.
The AFRCC told us that in Washington the state does their own DF'ing for missing aircraft.  Bad for WAWG, but that's only 1/52 of our total organization.

What aren't we doing that we are supposed to?
Regarding your comments "heavily" involved, surely our aircraft are utilized extensively on photo recon missions and also taking officials up for flights to survey damage. :clap:  There's a lot of articles in "CAP Volunteer Now" that confirm this.    Ground Team operations wise there's "some" DR activity, but not much is published in the "CAP Volunteer Now". ??? :(

I know in my wing with a state police air wing with helicopters, their website has mentioned they have DF capability.    The air wing flies "patrols" on a daily regular basis (daytime & nighttime) and conceivable could respond IMMEDIATELY if an ELT signal is reported.  They also have FLIR, spot lights, satcom, camera/video, radios programmed to talk with every PD/FD/EMS in the state.  They have teams that train to repeal down from the helicopter if it is necessary.   Since CAP is NOT a first responder, it is likely going to take about 2 hours for us to get a plane in the air.   IF you are the unfortunate pilot just recreational type flying, no flight plan, with an old ELT only on 121.5 mhz and crash with no witnesses you are in a Crash And Pray situation.  Add in the potential of serious traumatic injury, then you better hope someone is listening and can pinpoint your location quickly, otherwise it's not going to be a 'rescue' but a 'recovery'. :(   (BTW when the last time you've seen CAP have a big information display (at the local general aviation airports) about why one should get a new ELT or another less expensive device in case of a crash ???  Isn't part of DR/ES also trying to prevent or mitigate damage/ responses ???

As far as DR goes, I think the prime issue is what can realistically be supported by local units on the ground.   Personally, I would be very reluctant to sign an agreement locally to provide assistance without having a backup plan with wing assistance for manpower.   I think that's the reason why in many ES responses many wings do a general page to everyone because availability of volunteers is an unknown and its' better to have a pool of personnel you know that can respond even if it is from a distance :-\

Additionally I think on the ground side simple assistance, e.g. water/food distribution, directing cars to park, courtesy/safety patrols at large gatherings, etc give CAP the exposure that could help with providing additional ground assistance/supplementation to public safety.      However, it will continue to be a challenge for the organization.
RM         

bflynn

Quote from: johnnyb47 on April 18, 2012, 06:59:00 PM
The materials for presentation are here:
http://www.capmembers.com/emergency_services/capabilities-handbooks--briefing/

Specific guidance on how to initiate contact with local agencies doesn't seem to prevelant though I suspect it differs so much from state to state that the suggestion is to start by contacting the Wing ES officer for guidance on who to contact.

Good links, I'm taking time to digest them...

Spaceman3750

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on April 19, 2012, 11:39:47 AMPersonally, I would be very reluctant to sign an agreement locally to provide assistance without having a backup plan with wing assistance for manpower.

That's good, since an MOU/MOA can only be signed at the wing level ;).

CAP_Marine

I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion to attend training with outside agencies. I attended IS 300 and 400 classes hosted by two separate counties in my area and made some great connections. I ran into one other CAP member in each class that I didn't know, but mostly connected with outside folks to spread the good word. What seemed to work for me was to wear the uniform (+100 on PROPERLY) on the first day and take your cue for following days off of the other participants. My 400 class was full of command level sheriffs and PD, all wearing civilian attire, actually more like 5.11 Tuxedos, but I digress. Wearing the uniform the first day was good to gain credibility, let folks know who you are and strike up a conversation. I wore civvies to blend in on day two but if there was more of a uniformed presence I would have worn one then as well. Don't be afraid to reach out and take one of these classes, it might just be THE opportunity you have been looking for to connect with your local EMA.

LTC Don

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on April 19, 2012, 11:39:47 AMAs far as DR goes, I think the prime issue is what can realistically be supported by local units on the ground.   Personally, I would be very reluctant to sign an agreement locally to provide assistance without having a backup plan with wing assistance for manpower.  RM 

What should happen, is when the local squadron guy goes to meet with the local EM guy, the Wing ES/DR (or Group) guy should be there as well to provide a larger-picture context of what the Wing, and then the Region can provide if necessary.  Any any instance, a local squadron is going to be exhausted quickly, so the fear of over-selling is a real one, but merely needs to addressed before meeting with any EM official(s).

Secondly, you wouldn't be signing any MOU without it first being screened by Wing and NHQ anyway, but certainly it would be developed with great input from the local agency(s) first so everyone is on the same page.

Thirdly, any incident that happens on a scale that overwhelms a local EM agency is automatically going to be kicked up to the State EM/EOC level so this is where the CAP Wing needs to have a strong state-level relationship.

Here in NC, if there are CAP assets being utilized at the local level, we automatically have an Agency Liaison Rep stationed in that local EOC, and thus communicates with the CAP IC at the State EOC or Wing HQ level (if it is a large-scale event like a hurricane so there may be multiple ALRs in multiple counties). The ALR in ICS is the liaison between the agency (CAP), and the local government entity (Emergency Management). Each state has a unique political landscape, and in NC, if a county can't address the issue (such as staffing multiple Points of Distribution, for example), they can escalate the need up to state so then state has to address it (NC is a "home-rule" state).  So a local EM manager really needs a sense of what CAP can provide not just locally, but on a state-wide basis so any meeting held with local EM people should be a joint meeting with wing/group/sqdn and EM.

A local squadron may be able to staff or manage a Type III POD (twenty pesonnel) for a few days, but what if that county needs 5 Type III PODs?  Or, in the case of Hurricane Wilma in Florida - 96 total PODs?

Creating the necessary response infrastructure prior to an event happening is not something that happens in a day, month, or even year.  It literally takes years to cultivate a strong, healthy working relationship depending on the specific program being developed, and constant contact and oversight.
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Eclipse

Quote from: LTC Don on April 19, 2012, 02:33:01 PMCreating the necessary response infrastructure prior to an event happening is not something that happens in a day, month, or even year.  It literally takes years to cultivate a strong, healthy working relationship depending on the specific program being developed, and constant contact and oversight.

Yep.   Something a lot of people get bored of doing if nothing happens immediately.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I wonder if there are any Wings out there that have actually made a concerted effort to sit down with EVERY county emergency manager and/or sheriff in their state (not just the counties where we have squadrons)? 

I know our wing has at various times spoken at meetings of the county emergency managers, but beyond that coordination has been generally lacking.  Although this is a duty of a the ES officer, I think all these "orphan" counties fall through the cracks, which probably hurts us as those are usually the counties with the least people, most rugged terrain, and a higher potential for wilderness SAR. 

Although I hate to add staff, I think it might not hurt to have a Wing/Group staff officer whose only job is to keep in touch with local officials, primarily through personal meetings. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on April 19, 2012, 08:16:46 PM
I wonder if there are any Wings out there that have actually made a concerted effort to sit down with EVERY county emergency manager and/or sheriff in their state (not just the counties where we have squadrons)? 
Already started / planning as we speak.

Quote from: RiverAux on April 19, 2012, 08:16:46 PM
Although I hate to add staff, I think it might not hurt to have a Wing/Group staff officer whose only job is to keep in touch with local officials, primarily through personal meetings.

We call ours SAR/DR officer...

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Yeah, I suppose you could use either the SAR or DR officers -- those positions have also been un or under-utilized in our Wing. 

Larry Mangum

Quote from: Private Investigator on April 19, 2012, 07:02:43 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 18, 2012, 04:43:08 PMThe AFRCC told us that in Washington the state does their own DF'ing for missing aircraft.  Bad for WAWG, but that's only 1/52 of our total organization.

Correctamundo. Washington State gives zero ($0) to WAWG, CAP and they expect nothing. I am guessing the Sheriff's Association wants it that way too. That gives them more money in their budget.
But to say that the state of Washington does all of its own DF'ing is a misrepresentation. The state has 1 A/C configured for DF'ing and for all most any missions that last more than a day you can count on CAP being involved.  It has not been unusual in the past for CAP to have the majority of it's fleet of 11 WAWG based aircraft searching.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

NavLT

I guess the common thread I am hearing is that the relationship building is not happening, opportunities to be a player for your community are slipping away.  I have heard wing officials blame AFRCC and the NOC and heard the NOC and AFRCC point to the lack of requests.  CAP has about a half a dozen skill sets according to the 60 series that could be utilized from Air, to Ground, to Comm, to Management.  The big problem I frequently see is that a key player on the org chart represents 1 of these areas and not the others (no offense ment but usualy the pilot side.....)

The question I have is where is the oversight of the Wing/Region/National commanders to look at these incidents and ask the question "Why were we not utilized" and identify and fix the issues blocking us from being part of the solution. If the Wing DO turns down or does not pass on requests for non-flying missions then where is his boss to re-adjust his perspective?

I recently heard a squadron commander say they were authorized to fly one "AF Approved" Sortie on a missing person search.  Is flying the best tool?  Who choose one sortie, because in over 20 years of SAR AFRCC never gave me #'s like that when they gave me a mission #.

Other agencies are stepping up to the plate and if we don't become actively engaged we will be surpassed and left out.  The comment about 1/52 of our organization is true unless there are 5 more waiting to follow the example. 

As bill Engvall says "Heres your sign"