CAP Veterans Buying Merchandise at the Exchange with Cell Phones

Started by zippy, November 24, 2018, 06:47:36 PM

zippy

There are veterans in CAP with authorization to buy from the Exchange website, but not in person. What they do is when buying a uniform item on an Air Force base is to bring a cell phone, if they see something they like, pull out the cell phone and order it. The Exchange then ships it. The reason for doing it is before buying certain items such as a refrigerator or a bike a person will want to actually see it. Usually there is no intention to buy anything except a uniform, but the CAP veteran might walk by and see a big TV he really likes, and makes an impulse buy on his cell phone.

The Exchange says veterans can order on the website from "anywhere" so "anywhere" would of course include inside the base exchange itself.

The workers at the Exchange think this is great because they are always happy to help veterans that served our country.

OldGuy

The eXchange is suffering from the Amazon retail effect, they need more buyers/shoppers!

PHall

Quote from: OldGuy on November 24, 2018, 07:30:48 PM
The eXchange is suffering from the Amazon retail effect, they need more buyers/shoppers!

Not just Amazon. Walmart and Costco have been eating their lunch for years!

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on November 24, 2018, 08:52:41 PM

Yup the last maj purchase i made at the bx was 2 years ago and there wasn't that much of a savings.

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on November 24, 2018, 09:30:14 PM
Quote from: PHall on November 24, 2018, 08:52:41 PM

Yup the last maj purchase i made at the bx was 2 years ago and there wasn't that much of a savings.

My last major purchase at the BX was because they had it in stock and Best Buy didn't.

vesryn

If you have an AD/Dependent ID, the best part about the PX is the tax-free price matching.

If you don't have either of those, I fail to see any reason to go to the PX over a Walmart or even Amazon.
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

SarDragon

Quote from: Trenzalorian on November 25, 2018, 12:30:49 AM
If you have an AD/Dependent ID, the best part about the PX is the tax-free price matching.

If you don't have either of those, I fail to see any reason to go to the PX over a Walmart or even Amazon.

What about all us olde retired folks with the blue ID cards?
That said,  we use the commissary almost exclusively for groceries, and the exchange for some of our big purchases (TVs come to mind), but we have bought a lot of our appliances off-base because of the greater selection available.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CAPCom

The reason I see for continuing to use the Exchange and Commissary is to help keep it in business on a large scale.  Well, that and the gas prices.  And the package store... even Costco can't beat the liquor prices.

abdsp51

Quote from: SCoontsFan on November 25, 2018, 02:57:21 AM

The reason I see for continuing to use the Exchange and Commissary is to help keep it in business on a large scale.  Well, that and the gas prices.  And the package store... even Costco can't beat the liquor prices.

Then they need to become more competitive.  Sorry but when the bulk of items I buy are cheaper off base no point to buying on base. 

PHall

The only places where AAFES has an advantage is overseas, down range and in remote places like Alaska and Guam.

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on November 25, 2018, 05:50:58 PM
The only places where AAFES has an advantage is overseas, down range and in remote places like Alaska and Guam.

Yeah but there you have a captive audience

MSG Mac

COSTCO actually beats the BX gas prices by quite a bit.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on November 25, 2018, 07:47:06 PM
Quote from: PHall on November 25, 2018, 05:50:58 PM

Yeah but there you have a captive audience

Exactly!

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 25, 2018, 08:17:34 PM

COSTCO actually beats the BX gas prices by quite a bit.

Actually in California the Exchange does beat Costco gas prices. You pay state gas taxes at Costco.

abdsp51

Quote from: OldGuy on November 25, 2018, 09:20:51 PM
So the advantages AFEES has are:

1 - location
2 - tax exempt for active duty personnel.

So the disadvantages AFEES has are:

1 - price (excepting high tax items like booze and gas)
2 - selection
3 - convenience

See https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-benefits/2018/06/22/heres-why-dod-wants-to-make-millions-more-eligible-to-shop-commissaries-exchanges/

and https://www.military.com/militaryadvantage/2018/02/08/falling-commissary-sales-are-raising-risks-shopping-benefit.html

and https://www.military.com/militaryadvantage/2018/03/15/new-dod-task-force-eyed-merging-exchange-services-deca.html

No real advantage.  Everything they sell is just as priced as outside sometimes more so.  And really the tax free is chump change.

SarDragon

Quote from: OldGuy on November 25, 2018, 09:20:51 PM
So the advantages AFEES has are:

1 - location
2 - tax exempt for active duty personnel.

So the disadvantages AFEES has are:

1 - price (excepting high tax items like booze and gas)
2 - selection
3 - convenience

See https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-benefits/2018/06/22/heres-why-dod-wants-to-make-millions-more-eligible-to-shop-commissaries-exchanges/

and https://www.military.com/militaryadvantage/2018/02/08/falling-commissary-sales-are-raising-risks-shopping-benefit.html

and https://www.military.com/militaryadvantage/2018/03/15/new-dod-task-force-eyed-merging-exchange-services-deca.html

Keep in mind that the exchange services (AAFES, NEX, and MCX) are totally separated from DeCA (Defense Commissary Agency). The former are non-appropriated fund activities, DeCA is an appropriated fund activity. They involve different pots of money, and operate under different rules.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

OldGuy

Issue 1 - providing a real benefit to the armed services,
Issue 2 - if AFEES is that benefit, merge with DeCa?
Issue 3 - if AFEES is that benefit, how to increase shoppers and sales?

CAPLTC

USCG is opening exchanges off-post in random places... One coming to the Centreville, VA area.

I only patronize the Class 6 for the cheap booze...
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

PHall

Quote from: CAPLTC on November 26, 2018, 12:21:04 AM
USCG is opening exchanges off-post in random places... One coming to the Centreville, VA area.

I only patronize the Class 6 for the cheap booze...

Not surprising considering that the Coast Guard is spread all over the place.