New Ops Quals System

Started by Eclipse, February 03, 2010, 03:11:03 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: McLarty on February 03, 2010, 08:27:04 PM
Quote from: jeders on February 03, 2010, 08:11:38 PM
Only the Wing Commander and his henchmen, err staff, are allowed to enter data into eServices (by nationally approved supplements). Those of us below wing have to submit the outdated, never gonna be updated paper SQTRs to wing in order to get qual'd.
Not sure where you're getting that information from.  Group IV is all submitting it into eServices (which has to be approved at group and wing level anyway).  That sounds like someone at your squadron has been misinformed.

To say the least.  Members are supposed to enter their own tasking and quals for approval by unit staff and up.  I can't imagine
NHQ would approve a supplement that handcuffs operations like that.

Here's the supplement, and that's not what it says:
http://www.txwgcap.org/wing_publications/RegSupsTXWG/TXWG_Sup_1_603_17_Apr_07.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

Nick

Hmmm ... it does say renewals will get sent on paper to DOS.  That's interesting.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Eclipse

Quote from: McLarty on February 03, 2010, 08:57:19 PM
Hmmm ... it does say renewals will get sent on paper to DOS.  That's interesting.

Yeah, I saw that too.  Frankly I read it about 4 times and couldn't make sense of what they are trying to accomplish there.  TX is a pretty big wing to try and hand-hold quals at the wing level.

"That Others May Zoom"

Nick

Quote from: Eclipse on February 03, 2010, 09:35:13 PM
Yeah, I saw that too.  Frankly I read it about 4 times and couldn't make sense of what they are trying to accomplish there.  TX is a pretty big wing to try and hand-hold quals at the wing level.
I honestly haven't had a renewal since OPSQUAL was put into use (breaks in CAP service, etc.).  What happens during the renewal process, you go in and replace the two mission participations and resubmit for approval before the expiration date?
Texas Wing Staff Guy

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Nick

Quote from: Eclipse on February 03, 2010, 09:41:12 PM
Basically.
Sounds like an even better auditing process than signing an SQTR and mailing it straight to wing (which then creates a paper backlog at wing before the renewal gets updated).  I'm not sure what they're trying to accomplish either.

On another note -- any word on when NHQ is going to integrate evaluators into OPSQUAL?  The biggest gripe right now within TXWG that has everyone suffering heartburn is that the SET list is maintained in an Excel spreadsheet that never gets updated (current list is dated 1 Jan 2009), and if you're not on that list you can't sign off any tasks or mission participation -- so now we have trainees fixin' to lapse on their trainee status.
Texas Wing Staff Guy

Short Field

Quote from: McLarty on February 03, 2010, 09:38:22 PM
What happens during the renewal process, you go in and replace the two mission participations and resubmit for approval before the expiration date?

Why two missions?  And it shouldn't just be mission participation but an actual evaluation conducted using the task guide on a mission by a SET qualified evaluator.   
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Larry Mangum

Quote from: Eclipse on February 03, 2010, 08:44:39 PM
Only the Wing Commander and his henchmen, err staff, are allowed to enter data into eServices (by nationally approved supplements). Those of us below wing have to submit the outdated, never gonna be updated paper SQTRs to wing in order to get qual'd.
Not sure where you're getting that information from.  Group IV is all submitting it into eServices (which has to be approved at group and wing level anyway).  That sounds like someone at your squadron has been misinformed.

http://www.txwgcap.org/wing_publications/RegSupsTXWG/TXWG_Sup_1_603_17_Apr_07.pdf

CAPR 60-03 has been changed since 2007, which would make all supplements approved prior to the current release null and void. TXWG has to resubmit the supplement and get all new approvals.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

jeders

Quote from: Who_knows? on February 03, 2010, 10:07:14 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 03, 2010, 08:44:39 PM

CAPR 60-03 has been changed since 2007, which would make all supplements approved prior to the current release null and void. TXWG has to resubmit the supplement and get all new approvals.

It was re-approved the day after the new 60-3.

I'm not usually one to spread rumors and innuendo, so I won't. But what it comes down to is that the Wing CC all but fails at being a commander and wants to micromanage everything.

But back to the main topic, I'm really liking what NHQ is starting to come out with on eServices and I hope they keep it up.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Nick

Quote from: Short Field on February 03, 2010, 09:58:30 PM
Why two missions?  And it shouldn't just be mission participation but an actual evaluation conducted using the task guide on a mission by a SET qualified evaluator.   
That's why I asked ... I wasn't sure how OpsQuals handles renewals.
Texas Wing Staff Guy

BuckeyeDEJ

The ops quals module is a vast improvement. Great job, IT guys.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Short Field

I tried to renew a member's quals and it acted like it was a new achievement instead of a renewal.  If there is a button or selection option available to do a renewal, I have not been able to find it. 

Under the old Ops Quals, you would update a few tasks on the SQTR (since you are suppose to review a few tasks) and put in the mission number and date of the renewal mission.  Some SQTRs had text on one of the missions to enter a renewal, others did not.  Then you had to go to Single Entry and select the achievement.  You had the option of identifying it as initial or a renewal.

I think this is just a few gliches (IT technical term) that need to be cleaned up.  I like the changes overall.
Wilson #2640

Spike

It spells out your situation in the disclaimer and instructions sections. 

Eclipse

Quote from: jeders on February 03, 2010, 11:04:18 PM
I'm not usually one to spread rumors and innuendo, so I won't. But what it comes down to is that the Wing CC all but fails at being a commander and wants to micromanage everything.

You do realize you're not anonymous, here, right?

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

Just got the word there is a glitch in the system that is being fixed.   For a renewal, the member can go to Single Person Achievement and input a date.  The system knows if it is a renewal or an initial one and will process it properly.   
Wilson #2640

JoeTomasone

Probably similar to FLWG - designed to counter pencilwhipping.    In FLWG, each approver at each echelon must review/retain copies of SQTRs, although they can be scanned/emailed.

Eclipse

Does it really matter whether its pencil-whipping or "bit-whipping®"?

Whether on an SQTR or eServices, all you have to go by is the date, time, and CAPID, anyway.

(Note: bit-whipping, web-whipping, and net-whipping are Registered Trademarks of Eclipsuhatsu Mining Consortium and Manufacturing Cooperative, all rights reserved.)

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

But this keeps a paper trail alive in the event that investigation of a qualification is warranted.

It's really just a way to help keep honest people honest by reminding them that the paper they completed is being retained.

IIWIC, the SQTR would also have a signature block next to each task for the evaluator to sign; and when your CAPID is entered as the evaluator in Ops Quals, you'd get an email informing you - so that if you did NOT sign off on that task(s), you could address it.  Right now, there's none of that.

Eclipse

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 04, 2010, 06:31:23 AM
IIWIC, the SQTR would also have a signature block next to each task for the evaluator to sign; and when your CAPID is entered as the evaluator in Ops Quals, you'd get an email informing you - so that if you did NOT sign off on that task(s), you could address it.  Right now, there's none of that.

That's exactly what we need.  Frankly I was aghast the first time I realized that neither the WMU nor eServices does that level of cross check. 

It should validate that the person was SET qualified in that specialty on the date indicated, and then the email approval as mentioned.

"That Others May Zoom"

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 04, 2010, 06:31:23 AM
It's really just a way to help keep honest people honest by reminding them that the paper they completed is being retained.
So much for a paperless CAP.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.