Changes to OPSEC in April

Started by Major Carrales, December 04, 2007, 06:34:36 AM

Major Carrales

I noticed some changes in e-services en re OPSEC.  Look like it will now require approval.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

CadetProgramGuy

SStradley

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on December 04, 2007, 06:53:36 AM
Like???

Perhaps I don't know like "approval" as Major Carrales noted in the original post.  ;)
Scott Stradley Maj, CAP

"Duty is the sublimest word in the English language."  R.E. Lee

mikeylikey

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 04, 2007, 06:34:36 AM
I noticed some changes in e-services en re OPSEC.  Look like it will now require approval.

Wow.....now we needs approved for our wasting time.  Anyone else agree that the presentation was pure crap? 

Did I just violate OPSEC by letting everyone know how lame the OPSEC Webinet based class was?  Lets ask AF to borrow their 25 minute presentation to give.  It is far more interesting and informative.

I don't understand why it needs to be approved.  The member either sat there for 6 minutes and watched that stupid video or they didn't and E-services already shows who didn't.

What's up monkeys?

dhon27

In the commander's corner on eservices, there is a link to a webpage that states, part, "Starting 1 April 2008, members who have not completed the OPSEC training will not be able to access eServices until it has been completed."

jimmydeanno

How's this for an OPSEC change :) (See attached)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

stillamarine

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 04, 2007, 06:20:11 PM

Cadets taking OPSEC, good idea imho.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Tubacap

This seems to be a well thought out plan.  I like the fact that it can be done two ways.  Quite frankly, it is much better for my squadron to teach OPSEC as a class and have everything added into eServices.

I wonder if they will do this for GES as well.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

stillamarine

Quote from: Tubacap on December 04, 2007, 06:44:32 PM
This seems to be a well thought out plan.  I like the fact that it can be done two ways.  Quite frankly, it is much better for my squadron to teach OPSEC as a class and have everything added into eServices.

I wonder if they will do this for GES as well.

We've been discussing it in another thread. We taught GES as a class and are having them sit and take the test on some laptops we have. I recently found out you can still order the paper test and have them take it that way, but I'm not sure about putting them into eservices.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: stillamarine on December 04, 2007, 06:28:55 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 04, 2007, 06:20:11 PM

Cadets taking OPSEC, good idea imho.

I did.  I think its a really darn good idea for them to take it.  Cadets are the ones who are more likely to brag about what they do in CAP and show off their knowledge and information to their friends.

Cobra1597

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 04, 2007, 05:08:17 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on December 04, 2007, 06:34:36 AM

Wow.....now we needs approved for our wasting time.  Anyone else agree that the presentation was pure crap? 

Did I just violate OPSEC by letting everyone know how lame the OPSEC Webinet based class was?  Lets ask AF to borrow their 25 minute presentation to give.  It is far more interesting and informative.

I don't understand why it needs to be approved.  The member either sat there for 6 minutes and watched that stupid video or they didn't and E-services already shows who didn't.

Funny, I could not disagree more. Granted, once I was a senior member and took it, most of it seemed obvious, but I've known examples like past senior members that were huge into HAM that did not keep our frequencies confidential, for example. If a 5-15 minute look at a presentation can cut down on that, good.

In addition, it is good training for cadets to have.
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

RiverAux

There is nothing in that announcement that indicates that a commander must "approve" the fact that someone took OPSEC.  From what I understand, if you haven't taken OPSEC by that date your access to e-services will just be automatically blocked. 

mikeylikey

^ Because frequencies and privileged information is available in e-services to the average member right? 

Perhaps NHQ should follow their own lead and make access to E-services more restrictive and put steps in place there to make sure no one but those "That have need" can access whats there.

Military does it.......you can have an AKO/NKO/AF Portal account with limited access to only your areas of responsibility.

OPSEC starts at the top, not at the bottom.
What's up monkeys?

Tim Medeiros

Actually, they do restricted access to whats available, those nice little restricted applications.  As well, unfortunately all senior members do have access to privileged information as they have access to CAPWATCH for their unit in addition to Member Search with the same scope.   As well, this isnt just restricted to eServices, it also clearly mentioned WMIRS and other systems which require a unique login which one can reasonably assume includes the NTC site (restricted portion) which does list frequencies.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

flyguy06

I read that letter from National. Myissue is I still have members that havent done the OPSEC and since they dont participate in ES they really dont care about it. Ihave told them they need to do it, but they never seem to get around to it. I habe members that have been on my roster since 1992 that havent done OPSEC training yet

MIKE

If it's imperative that it gets done by everyone, them maybe it is time to start dis-enrolling (to use an Auxiliary term) those who fail to complete it before the drop deadline?
Mike Johnston

flyguy06

If I did that, my Squadron would have three members in it.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Al Sayre

I've been fighting this battle since it first came out, and actually had a couple people quit over it.  My feeling is:  If you can't take 5 minutes to do this small thing, how can I depend on you to do any other job you are assigned?  If they won't do it, make them Patron members and the only thing they can attend is an OPSEC breifing or the Wing/Squadron Christmas party...  JMHO
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

mikeylikey

Quote from: Al Sayre on December 05, 2007, 05:29:15 PM
and the only thing they can attend is an OPSEC breifing or the Wing/Squadron Christmas party...  JMHO

Ah NO......they can't attend the X-mas party, someone there may want to talk "shop" and we can't have non-opsec cleared persons around.  In fact, we should halt all X-mas (holiday) parties due to opsec. 
What's up monkeys?