GES 116 Exam

Started by stillamarine, November 19, 2007, 05:06:11 PM

isuhawkeye

QuoteI just finished creating the step by step directions to complete the 116 and 117 part 1 tests.  I also created a study guide for the 116 for them to utilize right along with the test.  Wink

Let me know who's from your unit because I don't think I want anyone on my team who needs to be hand held through the 116

Just my $.02

brasda91

Quote from: stillamarine on November 22, 2007, 09:20:30 PM
Don't suppose you care to share, Maj? :)

I tried but the documents are in Word 2007 and they attach as a .docx and I don't know how to change them to a file that I can attach.  Anybody care to help me out?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

brasda91

Quote from: isuhawkeye on November 22, 2007, 09:22:02 PM
QuoteI just finished creating the step by step directions to complete the 116 and 117 part 1 tests.  I also created a study guide for the 116 for them to utilize right along with the test.  Wink

Let me know who's from your unit because I don't think I want anyone on my team who needs to be hand held through the 116

Just my $.02

You must have the smartest cadets in CAP.

I don't mind providing directions.  This way I feel more confident they will complete the test/s.  You can stand up in front of a group and say "Go to blah, blah, blah web address, do this, click on this, enter this, and so forth.  But unless they use the computer every day, and they are familiar with the website, they're not going to understand where to go to take the tests.

I guess you can just sit around and wait for your members to figure it out, or else your unit is fortunate enough to have multiple computers with internet access.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

arajca

Quote from: brasda91 on November 23, 2007, 12:20:33 PM

I tried but the documents are in Word 2007 and they attach as a .docx and I don't know how to change them to a file that I can attach.  Anybody care to help me out?
Open the document.
Click the Windows Button on the left end or the ribbon.
Click "Save As"
Select "Word 1997-202 Document"
When the warning about losing functionality (or some such nonsense) pops up, click continue.

brasda91

Quote from: arajca on November 23, 2007, 02:33:39 PM

Open the document.
Click "Save As"
When the warning about losing functionality (or some such nonsense) pops up, click continue.

OK, I'm at work now.  I'll try that when I get home this evening.  Thanks.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

brasda91

Quote from: arajca on November 23, 2007, 02:33:39 PM

Open the document.
Click "Save As"

OK here we go.  Sorry, I had read this reply at work and then forgot to follow up.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

whatevah

"study guide" removed.  come on, that's even worse than the trick I saw at a former squadron, "study guides" were the complete cadet leadership tests as a fill-in-the-blank instead of multiple choice.   Thanks for your effort but open book does not mean "here are the answers".
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

isuhawkeye

and people cane down on me for my comments at the top of this page. 

Again

If they are not capable of passing this simple little hurdle they have no business on my team.

Any  frankly this type of subversion of the system could be considered a breach of the core values that you people spout at the drop of a hat

Ricochet13

Just my $.02
Let Me throw in my $.02 on this too.  While there are many self-directed learners, not everyone learns best that way.  As it stands now, I would question the "learning" which takes place as a member sits in front of the computer and hunts and pecks for answers in the regulations.  As I recall, there were a number of items I did not understand, but could find a "correct" answer for.  I have conducted group presentations on the subject matter contained in the GES and feel there was a greater understanding of materials as a result of members being able to ask questions, more detailed explanations, and of course the inevitable "war stories".  ;D 

However, if all we're looking for is going through the motions to get a ticket punched, then by all means, keep it totally online.  ;)  Have I been mistaken that knowledge and understanding were important also?

jeders

Quote from: Ricochet13 on December 03, 2007, 04:05:30 PM
Just my $.02
Let Me throw in my $.02 on this too.  While there are many self-directed learners, not everyone learns best that way.  As it stands now, I would question the "learning" which takes place as a member sits in front of the computer and hunts and pecks for answers in the regulations.  As I recall, there were a number of items I did not understand, but could find a "correct" answer for.  I have conducted group presentations on the subject matter contained in the GES and feel there was a greater understanding of materials as a result of members being to ask questions, more detailed explanations, and of course the inevitable "war stories".  ;D 

However, if all we're looking for is going through the motions to get a ticket punched, then by all means, keep it totally online.  ;)  Have I been mistaken that knowledge and understanding were important also?

That's what the GES course is for, to teach. The test, however, is still a test.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

stillamarine

Quote from: jeders on December 03, 2007, 04:12:47 PM
Just my $.02
Let Me throw in my $.02 on this too.  While there are many self-directed learners, not everyone learns best that way.  As it stands now, I would question the "learning" which takes place as a member sits in front of the computer and hunts and pecks for answers in the regulations.  As I recall, there were a number of items I did not understand, but could find a "correct" answer for.  I have conducted group presentations on the subject matter contained in the GES and feel there was a greater understanding of materials as a result of members being to ask questions, more detailed explanations, and of course the inevitable "war stories".  ;D 

That's what the GES course is for, to teach. The test, however, is still a test.

Thing is, there really isn't a GES Course. Most people are just pointed to the slides and the test. They pull the slides up in one window and the test in the other and just find the answers. There is no provision made to make someone either 1) Read all the slides before eligible to take the test or 2) attend a class on the subject matter.

It's nothing more than a ticket punch
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

jeders

Quote from: stillamarine on December 03, 2007, 07:08:46 PM
Just my $.02

Thing is, there really isn't a GES Course. Most people are just pointed to the slides and the test. They pull the slides up in one window and the test in the other and just find the answers. There is no provision made to make someone either 1) Read all the slides before eligible to take the test or 2) attend a class on the subject matter.

Well that's a local problem. Simple solution is to make sure that everyone attend a GES class taught by someone who knows what they're talking about before they get there GES approved, even if they've already taken the test. Remeber, just like everything else, GES rating has to be approved by someone at the squadron.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

arajca

Given how the GES 'class' was given in many places, the current system is an improvement. I'm sorry, reading the test answers to a group, even with a slide show of some sort, isn't a class and isn't any better than what is done now. I'm sure there were some proper GES classes, but I hadn't seen any and the attitude about it was "Whatever passes the test is fine. It's really not important."

jeders

Quote from: arajca on December 03, 2007, 07:40:44 PM
Given how the GES 'class' was given in many places, the current system is an improvement. I'm sorry, reading the test answers to a group, even with a slide show of some sort, isn't a class and isn't any better than what is done now. I'm sure there were some proper GES classes, but I hadn't seen any and the attitude about it was "Whatever passes the test is fine. It's really not important."

Well I can tell you that's not how I run things. I run the GES class as an actual class, not just a here's the answer to this question type of session. That doesn't mean, however, that it's shameful to use the slides or regs as you take the test. I learned quite a bit just reading through the regs looking for answers.

brasda91

Quote from: whatevah on December 03, 2007, 12:42:27 PM
"study guide" removed.  come on, that's even worse than the trick I saw at a former squadron, "study guides" were the complete cadet leadership tests as a fill-in-the-blank instead of multiple choice.   Thanks for your effort but open book does not mean "here are the answers".

I don't believe it's your decision to decide on how the members of this board utilize my "study guide".

I fail to see how my "study guide" is worse than a leadership test redesigned with fill-in-the-blank.

I could give my members a copy of the GES task guide and tell them to study the guide and when they're ready to test, go for it.  Yes, I agree the GES should be conducted in a classroom setting, but when the member can go on-line and take it without my permission, then I have done nothing but provide a guide.  The questions were intentionally reworded so not to be verbatim of the test.  If I conduct a class, I'm going to stress the important parts of GES.  Oops!  That's telling them the answer!  OK, I'll just give them the regulation.  Nope, can't do that either, the answers to the test are in there.  The test covers the most relevant parts of GES.  I have presented them with the meat of the ES program by providing a guide.  The members are going to learn the ES program as their training continues.  The training doesn'tbegin until they start working on UDF or GT.  It's more important to me that they understand UDF then the GES test.  I can't get them to start any good training until GES is completed.  I can always reiterate various parts of GES during other task training.

I am always available for members to PM me.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

stillamarine

Quote from: jeders on December 03, 2007, 07:36:44 PM
Quote from: stillamarine on December 03, 2007, 07:08:46 PM
Just my $.02

Well that's a local problem. Simple solution is to make sure that everyone attend a GES class taught by someone who knows what they're talking about before they get there GES approved, even if they've already taken the test. Remeber, just like everything else, GES rating has to be approved by someone at the squadron.

Or they could just make it easier and make it possible to take the test written. Forget all the denying approvals and stuff. Just allow Squadrons to do it either way, which ever works out better.

True most of the GES stuff is pretty simple and most people can figure it out. But IC-100 can be a bit confusing for a cadet, heck when it first came out it was confusing for me!

**edit** While typnig this I was perusing knowledgebase and found that the test CAN be given in paper form. It has to be requested the same way all other tests are, but can be done! I wish I would have known this 3 weeks ago!

Answer # 1379

The CAPT 116 does not have to be taken online - it can be administered in a paper form at local units. Paper versions of the exam can be requested through normal forms/and publications distribution.

However, we would recommend taking it online though as it makes the process significantly easier. When the exam is taken online the results are automatically stored in the testing system, and completion is automatically forwarded into the national database requiring less administrative support than taking it at a unit meeting using the paper form. CAPT 116 Online
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

jeders

I just don't see how giving it in paper form automatically makes any difference. They can still have the regs pulled up on a laptop along with the power point slides. Even if you deny them the laptop, they can still have paper forms of the regs and power point slides. There's no difference between paper and online, except that online the test completion is automatically put into eServices.

a2capt

Hmmm.. interesting, that the paper form is still acceptable, the question then being, how do you log/store the results.. since the field is now populated by the testing system.

OTOH, during the October fires here, I had a cadet call and ask me if CAP was doing anything, and how they could help if so- I got the URL for the test, the GES slides, a version of 60-3 that has liner notes and highlighted sections integrated into the PDF and said "take this test", with these references. .. and give me a mug shot.

Uploaded and approved the picture, created a 101 card, PDF'ed it and said "here".

mamadinos

I attempted to teach our cadets and 2 senior members the powerpoint to the CAPT 116 several weeks ago.  Only 3 cadets and senior members out of 25 have taken and passed the test so far from that group.  A few of the questions that I've seen on the test are not even explained on the powerpoint.  I think a revision of the powerpoint is necessary to help 12 year olds (and up) understand the materials a little better. 
What do y'all think about a test process similar to the spoon-fed 117 tests, in which the answers are all embedded within the test?
Michelle King, 1Lt, CAP
DCS, DO, SPO, ESO
Barksdale Comp. Sq.
SWR-LA 005

jeders

No. If they can't handle using the find function on Acrobat Reader, then they need to go back to preschool.