GSAR Qeustion

Started by usafcap1, January 02, 2013, 02:47:47 AM

usafcap1

I've become interested in Ground Search and Rescue. I was hoping I could get some info; mainly, where you get the gear for GSAR? Were there any places in particular, websites, etc?? Any info would be helpful and appreciated.

Thank you
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

SarDragon

Try searching on here for any or all of the following:

gear
equipment
ruck
backpack
camelback/camel back
goretex

That should get you started, and you should be able to find other keywords as you go through the posts.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

If you're just starting out, get the basics at WalMart or any such store. Many folks will push spending obscene amounts of money, but you can do that as your skills improve.

docbiochem33

I found plenty of stuff on ebay and you can also try some of the surplus stores.  Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, and other chain retailers can get you some stuff.  Also search the discount and discontinued areas of places like Bass Pro, Gander Mtn, etc., for gear.

usafcap1

Arajca and docbiochem33, thank you for the specific and helpful information to my question.  It's very much appreciated. 

Again, as I've stated multiple times in the past SarDragon, thanks again for your "input" its as helpful as ever . . . and for again CONSISTENTLY searching out my posts and responding . . . your interest in my participation in this forum still amazes me.
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

docbiochem33

I will try to look over the next few days.

SarDragon

Quote from: usafcap1 on January 02, 2013, 06:25:03 AM
Arajca and docbiochem33, thank you for the specific and helpful information to my question.  It's very much appreciated. 

Again, as I've stated multiple times in the past SarDragon, thanks again for your "input" its as helpful as ever . . . and for again CONSISTENTLY searching out my posts and responding . . . your interest in my participation in this forum still amazes me.

You asked for help, I pointed you in the same direction I would point anyone else with as much time in CAP, and on this forum, as you have. You shouldn't expect everyone else to do your work for you. The information is out there. You need to put a little of your own effort into looking for it.

There are 463 posts covering the search terms I provided. Did you look at any of them? I would conservatively estimate that 20-30% of them contain helpful information. Not only are there sources, but there are excellent recommendation on specific items from folks who have been in the GT business a long time.

As for searching out your posts, I do no such thing. When something comes up in the unread posts lists, I read it. If it's something I can answer I do so. If you don't like the answer, ignore it and move on.

For any of you newer folks who think I'm being too harsh, PM me, and I'll give you a little history. I don't think that aspect needs further public discussion in this thread.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Walkman

Quote from: usafcap1 on January 02, 2013, 06:25:03 AM

Sorry, but I kinda' have to back SarDragon on this one. When it comes to gear and ES, I really doubt there's much that hasn't been discussed here ad nauseum.

<back to the thread...>

It's been mentioned in other threads, but I really like campmor.com for affordable quality gear. They have decent prices and good sales. I just bought a 0 degree sleeping bag and a pair of Giordini winter gloves there at a steep discount. That being said, for someone just getting started, Walmart etc is a good place to begin.

docbiochem33

Here are some sites:

http://www.govliquidation.com/

http://popular.ebay.com/clothing-shoes-accessories/army-surplus.htm

https://www.1starmy.com/

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/sitemap/military-surplus.aspx?d=122

http://www.majorsurplus.com/Military-Surplus-C1936.aspx

http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/

http://www.rangerjoes.com/

I started with the sites that are government or ebay.  With the government sites you may have to buy a lot of something and pick it up while some can be shipped to you, but don't count on it.  If you are close to a DRMO, then you can look for stuff there.  If you have to buy a lot consider finding a small lot and then selling the excess to others to cover your cost.  I did this once.  Got about 30 canteens for $15.00, kept two for me, two for my brother's gear, and sold off the others for $0.75 a piece.  I then used the money to buy some pistol belts and other stuff at a local store that was hitting DRMO weekly.  They had it cheap and from my house it was about 25 miles away and the rest of my unit would have had to drive about 60 miles to get there.  I was in the city weekly so I was scoring.

Also consider looking at military auto shows and the such.  Findlay, Ohio has one and I am not sure where you are at, and I did find a few things there at a good price, but they don't seem to have as many vendors as they used to.

Also look on this site and some of the CAP sites as people sell all the time.  They get out, they get bigger, or they don't have the time and don't want the gear to go to waste. 

If you want all the publications then you are going to have to find them on the CAP website and other government websites.  The Forestry Service and a few other sites have lots of good information and books that can be downloaded for free.  You can print these books out, or if you don't want to pay for that much ink, save them on your computer.

There are also some of the state fire marshal sites that have useful information.  One chart used at one place I worked was one on urine color and what was hydrated and what was dehydrated.  May sound dumb, but when it is 70 degrees or higher it is easy to become dehydrated.  The chart was used to get people to think about drinking plenty of water and it worked.  It is also a good training tool for new members when summer comes around.

Can I also suggest contacting some of the local volunteer fire departments.  These agencies sometimes get good training provided to them and so they charge very little for it.  I attended a course in hazardous materials and it was great.  The course would have probably not taken 2 4 hour nights, but the instructor was so funny we spent most of the night laughing.  The funny part is we all learned because it was something CAP would not provide us and we wanted because of fears that a train would derail in the area and we would be called for assistance.  Since you had to have training to be there, we wanted it to be the ones who were called.

You can also see if some of the police/ L.E. agencies are providing training to people.  Sometimes these agencies do work with explorers to train them in missing person searches.  They may allow you to attend some of the training, you just have to ask.  Also start looking for the FEMA training in CERT since it is usually available.  This is now a CAP qualification.

NavLT

Equipment needs vary by location but I would recommend you look at other professional SAR groups for lists. 

The Mid-Atlantic region has a volunteer sar group called ASRC (Applaichain Search and Rescue) which has published training standards on their website.

The State of Virginia has a State sponsored Ground SAR program with gear requirements to attend their ground team member class and ground team leader class.

I have also seen some pretty decent tiered gear requirments.  Lighter requirments for 8 hour daylight fair weather searcher (IE UDFT) and higher for 24 Hour any werather (GTM3) or 72 Hour All weather (GTM1).  The NESA list is a little too specific and tends to lean toward military surplus.  Having worked with Seal Team 2 about the only military issued items in their gear were weapons and ammo.

V/R
Lt J

Eclipse

Where does the NESA list "lean towards military"?

The NESA list, BTW = the CAP list.

"That Others May Zoom"

cantthinkof1

Just go to a local Army/Navy store for the outdoorsy things you don't think you will find at a Wal-Mart.  But you can first start by applying for a GSAR course, I know it's the time for that in the NER.